Votes: 70 31.4%
  • I wouldn't buy one under any circumstances

Votes: 53 23.8%
1 - 20 of 154 Posts

·
Editor on P Plates
2,482 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I’ve recently had the opportunity to become involved in a project that I think some of you may be interested in.

I should state up front that I suppose this should be construed as a form of market research, but I spoke to Russell and he feels it allowable within the TOC as long as I don’t get too specific about certain things.

Anyway, A friend is in the early stages of producing a number of BA Falcon parts for the aftermarket. The most interesting of these, for a number of reasons, is the carbon fibre BA XR8/GT bonnet (see photos attached at bottom of post).

I’m sure a number of forums V8 purists will lose their heads and immediately scream RICE, but before you do, I’d like you to consider two points...

A major issue with the BA is weight. What would you say if you knew this bonnet was both stronger than the OEM steel bonnet, and also 55% lighter? Furthermore, what would you say if you found out it was 25% cheaper to buy than the equivalent OEM steel item?

The GT rear wing is also stronger, but will be roughly 55% cheaper than the outrageous OEM price from FPV.

I don’t say this because I’m trying to make a sales pitch, I say this to try and get some of you to think a bit before you post a reply.

Obviously, there will be non-XR8/GT buyers lining up to purchase this stuff. Supply and demand dictates this will happen no matter what you or I think, and screaming RICE isn’t going to stop it.

But there are those of you out there with XR8’s and GT’s spending a lot of money to make your cars faster with engine mods, but weight reduction is another avenue to explore. Some of you have gone to lightweight alloys; Pursuit owners have removed hardtops. So saving 55% (in reality nearly 15Kg) on the weight of probably the largest single panel on the car helps, and I suppose it could possibly even lower the cars’ centre of gravity slightly.

The cost of OEM replacement parts in another matter worth mentioning again. FPV have set incredibly high prices to discourage people from buying these parts to stick on their non FPV vehicles, but this effects genuine FPV owners should the have an accident and need repairs (or for that matter should they just wish to preserve the originality of their factory parts.

Apart from the bonnet and rear spoilers, a GT front bar is in the works at present (and you can bet this will be a LOT cheaper than the 2K+ price of the OEM front bar), and other parts will follow.

So I’d like people to post their comments and answer the appropriate poll questions placed at the top of this thread.

Cheers
Jason

BA carbon fibre XR8/GT bonnet:

Bonnet inner:

Unpainted:

A closer look:

Pursuit wing:

·
More horsepower required
612 Posts
I would buy a bonnet for weight saving measures , no doubt about it.
The purist in me says not to buy an FPV front bumper , but I don't reckon I could say no , as they look too darn good .
Judging by the pictures , you sure have done a bloody good job .

·
Rip Up The Track Join OFR
6,021 Posts
would like to see picture with the bonnet on the car start with phantom please lol..
how much does a ba buldged bonnet weigh?

·
Mr Photoshop
1,155 Posts
I think the bonnets are fantastic, though i dont think the carbon fibre pattern will look good on a car. Would be a good thing to shed off those extra kilos and help offset the lard of the Boss.

·
known as tibbo
2,033 Posts
I have a few questions:
(excuse my ignorance, i have no idea and are curious)
Is carbon fibre o.k as far as legalities/insurance go? I thought it was one of those 'not for street use' type of products
What about the pre-designed crumple zones? If it is stronger would that not end up in more possible damage if (heaven forbid) you had an whoopsy.
Is it just the outer-skin of the bonnet that is cf with the reinforcing still steel or the whole lot?
A steel BA bonnet weighs in at 27kgs?
Very interesting indeed, i must say they look as good as an OEM bonnet,, I'll be very keen to check the poll in a day or two

·
Senior Events Moderator
1,710 Posts
Would it be possible to spray the carbon fibre bonnets the colour of the car. I like the bonnet buldge with the carbon fibre. But the whole bonnet in carbon fibre IMHO would look a little out of place. Buts its fantastic work. Its sensational worksmanship.

·
Falcon 2.. Ferrari 0 hehe
1,290 Posts
should be able to spary them in the colour of your car...
i remember readign about the ferrari f 40's and the "crappy" paint jobs on them but all it was the pattern of the carbon fiber going throught the paint.....

·
Banned
421 Posts
ive been looking 4 any weight saving measures so i would be very interested.
two points though:

1)as someone stated is this legal? ie structural integrety of the car?
2) are you designing any without a bulge - then i could buy one without it being rice purley for weight saving reasons - surley this would be cheaper than manufacturing the bulge?

·
do YOU have rubber?
2,357 Posts
Does the bonnet need to exhibit heat dispersion properties? Are you incorporating sound deadening? On initial glance I think it's a good idea but would need to be priced lower than the going $/kw rate for me to seriously consider it. As tibbo mentioned also, my first thoughts were along the lines of insurance and legalities.

·
Registered
548 Posts
The parts look fantastic, but what adout us, the XR6 owners will there be any thing done without a bulge ? I know that you can get a bonnet with a shaker attachment but unless you have an XR6T its pretty wanky.

·
Registered
695 Posts
hmmmmmmmmm I'd like to see it on an actual car in the flesh before deciding.
Also cost will be an important factor.
Yeh insurance would also be a factor.

Was there consideration given to perhaps placing two nostrils on the buldge?
:eek:)

Anyways great to see someone coming up with new things!

Let us know when you have it on a display car.

·
Editor on P Plates
2,482 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I should state up front that I’m not making these. I got involved when the guys that make it saw the website for my car and contacted me to ask my opinion on the product.

Having said that I’ll answer what I can.

XRFPV8 – the standard XR6 bonnet weighs around 24kg. We presume the bulged bonnet weighs a similar amount. A few of these bonnets have been fitted to cars already, but I don’t have any photos at present. I’ll rectify that as soon as I can.

Tibbo – I have no idea about the legalities. I would presume it’s a case of “buyer discretion” much like it is with many other mods people do to their cars. In the case of an accident, and from experience in an accident with a carbon fibre intake and airbox on a previous car, I’m presuming the weakest points would be the area around the various bolt attachments. Airbag sensors are normally in the front bumper area, so primary safety systems shouldn’t be compromised. The upper skin of the bonnet is carbon fibre, the inner skin is reinforced fiberglass. There is no steel in the piece. It is possible to do the ENTIRE bonnet in carbon fibre, but the labour increases cost.

AU1SIXA – There is no problem spraying carbon fibre. It works exactly the same as standard fiberglass in that respect. The better the prep, the better the finish. The bonnets I saw were very well finished when seen in the flesh.

XRSIK – I have no knowledge at this time of plans to produce a CF standard bonnet. I’d presume that they’d like to recoup costs from this one first, and see how well it sells. The public love affair with the Boss bonnet dictates better returns to be made from it I would imagine. As for manufacturing costs, there really isn’t that much difference between the two bonnets, so I can’t really see that there would be any more than a negligible difference.

Ignition – Composites like carbon fibre and fiberglass retain less heat than metal – the reason many cold air intake systems use them even over plastic. The XR8/GT bonnet lacks the sound deadening shield fitted to the standard bonnet, so that would be up to you.

-------------

In general, and with anything like this, personal opinion plays a large part in the process of the buyer. If your biggest worries are insurance hassles or the comments of others then this may not be for you. It is a product that’s going to be made though, and like any mod you consider for your car, will appeal to some and be loathed by others.

One of the reasons for this thread is to hear questions like this and to get the opinions of people who could be considered to be die-hard ford fans as opposed to Mr Joe Public on the street who can’t tell a Falcon from a Commodore, Camry, Magna or any other car for that matter, so please keep them coming. I'll endeavour to get some better answers to the ones where I'm not sure or have no knowledge.

Cheers
Jason

·
2,922 Posts
shane palmer said:
The parts look fantastic, but what adout us, the XR6 owners will there be any thing done without a bulge ? I know that you can get a bonnet with a shaker attachment but unless you have an XR6T its pretty wanky.
This would be my concern, I am not sure I would buy it for the XR6 simply because of personal opinion regarding putting the bulge on the N/A XR6.

Weight savings and looks certainly sway in the "for" category, but as Shane said, personal opinion regarding the bulge would probably turn me off. And thats all it is, personal opinion! Looks great though, I am impressed!

Any other cars planned? ;)

Cheers... Tim

·
Team Galaxy: Mad Bastard
2,847 Posts
Very very impressive!!!! I'd buy one if I have a BA XR8, but definitely have it painted.

·
Registered
244 Posts
I can't vote on this cause' I wouldn't change the panels on my XR8 Ute. However, I reckon they look fantastic.... great to see aftermarket stuff for the BA!

·
Registered
2,784 Posts
greetings all
JR great to see people bring things such as aftermarket parts for the BA range to the forum for everybody to see

i would like to see a tailgate for the ute & maybee even a hard tarp, if the manufacture needs a vehicle for a test mule i have one here

regards & thanks again
rod

·
Lamahs approve of manuals
1,382 Posts
Like tibbo, I'd be missing the rest of the BA8.
JR, I think the guy needs to confirm the legality - it will keep him out of any potential poo, and encourage / reassure people. Once done, I reckon the orders should flow in fairly quickly. I'd certainly get one if I had a BA 8. I mean, it can be painted, so if you don't like the CF look, paint it, and enjoy the weight and $$$ savings . . .
Looks like a nice piece of work in any case, and I applaud anyone who is doing this kind of thing for Falcons. . . .

Assuming legality . . . any chance of an EL bonnet ? ;)

·
Editor on P Plates
2,482 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
While I repeat that I don't know what specific law you would be supposed to comply with for a carbon fibre bonnet, can I just point out in general that carbon fibre panels are not illegal. In the extreme, much of the successive Ferrari F40 / F50 / Enzo supercars were made from the stuff and the recently sold in Australia BMW M3 CSL had a carbon fibre ROOF!

SPOON Honda Type R's also came with them as standard, and there are a number of other exotics available that are making extensive use of the stuff both for weight savings and increases in structural rigidity.

I think we're starting to get so paranoid about looking over our shoulders for Big Brother that we're taking the fun and excitement out of modifying our cars.

1 - 20 of 154 Posts