Ford Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
RTV403
Joined
·
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hope this is the right forum for this question, I was wondering about the ECm or ECU, does it learn as you drive? Does it learn as you modify your car, how long does it take to learn if it does so, how do different driving conditions or diffrent drivers affect it, if it does learn etc...

Thanks
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
695 Posts
This 'learning' capability is only very limited. It does learn your mods to a certain extent but don't expect the same result as a modified chip.

I recently reset my BA XR8 ute ECM after I did a catbak and air intake. The car immediately ran a lot smoother both on startup and cruising. Was there any power increase? I couldn't feel anything siginificant from the seat of my pants. I do a lot of city driving so from now on I am going to reset the ECM every fortnight and take it for a fang.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
326 Posts
The downside to resetting the KAM is you could possibly miss out on better fuel efficientcy. When the strategy adapts it's only a very minor change if the vehicle is running how it should be, but if there is a problem with the engine mechanically or electrically the adaptive strategy really makes a difference compared to a vehicle without it.But it's main purpose is to keep the car running like new as the car ages. Thats why so many people post questions as to why their car runs like crap after the battery has been disconnected or replaced.
 

·
X-DM!!
Joined
·
1,114 Posts
fullthrottle said:
This 'learning' capability is only very limited. It does learn your mods to a certain extent but don't expect the same result as a modified chip.

I recently reset my BA XR8 ute ECM after I did a catbak and air intake. The car immediately ran a lot smoother both on startup and cruising. Was there any power increase? I couldn't feel anything siginificant from the seat of my pants. I do a lot of city driving so from now on I am going to reset the ECM every fortnight and take it for a fang.
I noticed today after my ute had been sitting for 2 days when I started it, it idled rough and started missing for a few seconds then came good and the only thing I did last Thursday was fit the CAI.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
695 Posts
SPALDING GREEN said:
The downside to resetting the KAM is you could possibly miss out on better fuel efficientcy. When the strategy adapts it's only a very minor change if the vehicle is running how it should be, but if there is a problem with the engine mechanically or electrically the adaptive strategy really makes a difference compared to a vehicle without it.But it's main purpose is to keep the car running like new as the car ages. Thats why so many people post questions as to why their car runs like crap after the battery has been disconnected or replaced.

Ever since the ECM reset my average fuel consumption has gone from 17.8L/100kms to 18.5L/100kms. THen again..could be my driving habbit :eek:)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
336 Posts
fullthrottle said:
Ever since the ECM reset my average fuel consumption has gone from 17.8L/100kms to 18.5L/100kms. THen again..could be my driving habbit :eek:)
Yeah, I don't think it's the little black box, it's the device directly infront of the steering wheel... :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
695 Posts
OI!! :eek:)

Nah seriously, I dunno if it is placebo effect or not but it definately started up nicer and drove smoother with no noticable power increase.

Some days the ute feels sluggish some days it feels like it can take on any car on the street.... its wierd..... needs a BOSSedit to help make up its mind!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
326 Posts
It's common to start a vehicle after just doing a basic service & it will run poorly, switch it off & re-start runs good again. I dunno! I've chased my tail a couple of times because of this :)
 

·
TurbolaserS
Joined
·
49 Posts
Yes it does learn,basically if the car is driven hard it will respond faster and generally hold the gears a little bit longer and kickdown is harder,but if your missus has been driving the car for the week expect it to be a tad sleepy. If you feel its driving like a slug,disconnect the earth cable off the battery for 5-10 minutes then go out and drive it hard and see the difference.

TurboLaser
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
336 Posts
fullthrottle said:
OI!! :eek:)

Nah seriously, I dunno if it is placebo effect or not but it definately started up nicer and drove smoother with no noticable power increase.

Some days the ute feels sluggish some days it feels like it can take on any car on the street.... its wierd..... needs a BOSSedit to help make up its mind!
That's something I've noticed... on Friday and Saturday the ute was flying... but today, it felt like I do most days... "I'll go if you flog me, but basically I can't be bothered".... I don't know if its fuel, air, planetary alignment, sun spots or how many hampsters are on the wheel, or just my imagination. But now that you've also noticed it... nah couldn't be... could it???
 

·
X-DM!!
Joined
·
1,114 Posts
Mines the same Jase, somedays you put your foot down not that hard and it sits you back in the seat other days it feels like your towing a boat!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
336 Posts
rod c said:
Mines the same Jase, somedays you put your foot down not that hard and it sits you back in the seat other days it feels like your towing a boat!
Careful, you're on the border of insulting your ute, I read somewhere they have feelings.... :)

Nah, it's the same good ute every day... it's the bloody magazines... I gotta stop reading them. I must have left one in the ute one night... and the poor thing read it... she probably just needs a hug... how insensitive of me.
 

·
Movin!
Joined
·
2,924 Posts
I think it's more the air density?? I've noticed that with these DOHC donks being able to breathe so easy that there is so much difference between a cold day and a hot day. For example, the other week when it was 40C it felt like it couldnt pull the skin of a rice pudding, yet on a cold night last week you could hear the suction of the CAI and it felt totally different. Extremes, but it shows how weather differs the performance of the engine. Maybe our BA's are better weather forecasters than the weather forecasters??

btw...my car on cold mornings used to settle down to base idle too quick when still cold, almost to the point of stalling. Since getting the herrods helix spacer, hasnt happened since, dunno why!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
165 Posts
Ford (dealers) has this issue with plugging the car up when in for a service and downloading a new ECU program. I had to have it wound back, only to have the dealer re-install it. It is going back to have it wound back again!!!!. I know its changed shift points, and running from start up to shut down is rough. But when its wound back its damn good....Any thoughts as any upgrade you would expect would make it run better??? or am I an optimist....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
326 Posts
NOBOUNDARIES said:
Ford (dealers) has this issue with plugging the car up when in for a service and downloading a new ECU program. I had to have it wound back, only to have the dealer re-install it. It is going back to have it wound back again!!!!. I know its changed shift points, and running from start up to shut down is rough. But when its wound back its damn good....Any thoughts as any upgrade you would expect would make it run better??? or am I an optimist....
No update will reduce the vehicles performance.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
165 Posts
Thats what I would have thought, however it is not a very happy BA XR8 at present, it is like its towing a 4 tonne block, and going through optimax at the rate of 23l per 100km, thats a little actually a hell of a lot off the pace. They upgraded it ( and it was getting 15l per 100k), then it stuffed up,then it was wound back, then tried again at the 10000k service and they are scratching their heads, they acknowledge it is not right, and is going back next week for round three!!!!
 
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Top