Ford Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2003 ba falcon ute.

My problem is when the car is warm and has been left for about 15min (like going into the shop) when i go to start the car again it cranks over for a couple seconds and wont start try again and after another couple seconds it will start.

However in the morning or when the engine is cold it will start perfect hardley cranks over and starts and runs fine. the problem is only when it is warm.

when i put my foot flat to the floor it will start alot quicker or even straight away. and if i turn the car off and turn it back on within a few seconds it will start fine, it only happens when it is hot and been sitting for a period of time.

other then that the car runs perfect no other engine problems just starting.

it is really annoying me any help would be great( the mechanic has no idea and just keeps on charging me money for doing nothing)

thanx james

·
Administrator
4,985 Posts
Hi James

Thats a tricky one. Do you know what the mechanic has done so far. When the car starts does it start and run smoothly or is it a bit choked up for a short time and run rough then come right again.

Has it done high kms?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
once it has started prob 80% of the time it will run rough for a couple seconds, slight misfire but kick in and run fine.

it has done 195000 Klm's.

it is dual fuel but we have worked out that there is nothing wrong with the gas side of things. it wont change over to gas until a higher rev range. and if i drive around just on petrol it will still do it, so nothing to do with the gas.

the mech has only done a service oil/ fuel filter that sort of thing. not plugs but they seam fine and so does the leads. but he has cleaned the throttle body. and put it on the diagnostic with nothing showing up other then rear demister and silly little things..

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
cheers i will have a look at that today sometime,

But if there is any other ideas keep them coming :)

Thanx for your time

·
fordmech
315 Posts
Hi James. It's a tricky one alright...so I'll just give my 2 cents

My problem is when the car is warm and has been left for about 15min (like going into the shop) when i go to start the car again it cranks over for a couple seconds and wont start try again and after another couple seconds it will start.
However in the morning or when the engine is cold it will start perfect hardley cranks over and starts and runs fine. the problem is only when it is warm.
There is a known heat-sink issue with BA PCMs, failing to start when hot only, lots of cranking but nothing else until they cool down a bit, but that doesn't seem to be your case. If you want to be 100% sure, take a bottle of cold water with you and pour it over the PCM when the problem is happening to see if it makes a difference, but i don't think it will

when i put my foot flat to the floor it will start alot quicker or even straight away. and if i turn the car off and turn it back on within a few seconds it will start fine, it only happens when it is hot and been sitting for a period of time. other then that the car runs perfect no other engine problems just starting.
When you put your foot flat to the floor you are effectively cutting off injection completely. If this makes it easier to start the car, it suggests your car is over-fuelling. You could be looking at a leaking injector or excessive fuel pressure (blocked filter or regulator?), or even a faulty CHT (coolant temp) sensor as someone suggested, but this should give a definite fault code when scanned.

the mechanic has no idea and just keeps on charging me money for doing nothing
Yeah we do that all the time :muha::muha::muha:

One last thing. If the Throttle body was cleaned you SHOULD disconnect the battery for a couple of minutes to reset the KAM learned values & allow the car to re-learn new ones, preferably when it's at normal operating temp.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanx mate i will have a look sometime this week. i am getting a work truck shortly so i wont be driving it as much, so it might just be one of those quirky things you have on your car. lol

thanx for ya help.

if i ever find out what the problem is or what fixed it i will post it on here.
cheers

·
Administrator
4,985 Posts
One of the common problems these have is the throttle position sensor (TPS). It doesnt sound quite right for this issue but that is the most common problem that can cause all sorts of strange stuff. I'm not sure of its worth but if you had another you could test on it then that would be handy rather than just paying for a new one on the chance it is causing the problem. The crank angle sensor is sometimes an issue. The tone wheel on the crank can get dirty and give poor signals so this could be worth giving a clean.

If you get to the bottom of it then it would be great to know the answer. It helps others out in similar situations.

Cheers

·
Registered
2 Posts

when i put my foot flat to the floor it will start alot quicker or even straight away. and if i turn the car off and turn it back on within a few seconds it will start fine, it only happens when it is hot and been sitting for a period of time.

other then that the car runs perfect no other engine problems just starting.

it is really annoying me any help would be great( the mechanic has no idea and just keeps on charging me money for doing nothing)

thanx james
Hi

Hi James ,did you ever find out the fault with the BA?

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have the same problem with my 2002 BA Ford Fairmont 6 cylinder. Has had difficult starting for many months. Usually starts on second attempt after sitting for a while when engine is warm, or one long attempt. Other than this it runs well. My BA is dual fuel with sequential LPG injection, but seems to make little difference to how long it takes for the engine to settle after starting whether it stays on petrol or changes quickly to LPG. At the moment I am experimenting with cooling the ECU to see if it improves the problem.

·
Registered
4 Posts
After trying cold water on the ECU without any improvement it is not caused by an overheated ECU. Next I tried starting with a small amount of throttle and this seems to overcome the problem. Will keep trialing this method, but it looks like it is a good temporary fix. Simply cycling the throttle (max to min) before starting has no benefit, but holding at about 1/8 to 1/4 throttle gives a good result. Wonder what this would indicate is the root cause? Bad throttle position sensor, MAP sensor or something else?

·
Super Moderator
7,734 Posts
Don't know a lot about the dual fuel, but from what I can gather, it might clear with a cleaning of the ISC-BPA. As to it's location, hopefully someone else can point and grunt who is a little more familiar with the Aussie line.

·
Registered
4 Posts
My BA 6 cylinder with a PRINS VSI system (LPG injection) has had the exact same hot start problem for months. Finally found the problem was a leaky gas injector! My guess is that a similar thing might happen with a leaky petrol injector.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Something that has helped me was replacing the fuel filter. Maybe a little strange that it did not affect cold starting or hot restarts if not left to sit for any time. The fuel filter had not been replaced for quite a while (over 30,000km) and the difficult hot starting after sitting for, say, 15min to 2hrs became gradually worse. It is an easy thing to replace (once you know where it is) so a good thing to do if having any starting issues. My fuel filter (BA for Falcon) is under the car near the passenger door. I did need to buy a flare nut spanner as the flare nuts at either end were really tight and using the wrong spanner could easily round the nuts.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I also have a BA I just went to the shop and put petrol in and lpg in switched the car over to run gas and on the way home the car temp went to 3/4 then back down to half and the car nearly cut out while driving into my street and now the car won't start and when I turned the car of we could smell gas.

·
Super Moderator
3,598 Posts
Are you sure the smell was gas and not the smell of an overheated engine (the head gasket may have blown)? When it's cooled down check the coolant level and if it's an automatic, also check for signs of coolant in the transmission oil or transmission oil in the coolant (the transmission fluid cooler in the bottom of the radiator often fail so coolant and fluid mix - killing the transmission). Also check for sign of coolant on the oil dipstick and mayonnaise like oil/coolant deposits on the inside of oil filler cap - the head gasket can also fail so coolant enters the oil passages. If the engine does not turn over with the starter motor also check the engine crank pulley will turn by hand with a spanner as if the head has cracked or warped due to catastrophic overheating, coolant may have entered the cylinders and the connecting rods may be bent and the engine seized. The rule is to stop and check as soon as you notice overheating; continuing to drive risks major damage. WARNING: If the coolant is low whatever you do, DO NOT add cold coolant to the hot engine (it will crack the head in the same way as a cold glass placed in hot water cracks); wait until the it has totally cooled down.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts