Ford Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last night I broke a driveshaft in my GT. It started to make a clunking noise in the R/H rear wheel Sat night when I was in Melbourne. GTP 200 had a drive and said to me it was something to do with the handbrake. He moved that on and off and the noise seemed to go away. It turned out to be an indicator that something was up. Last night I took off and before I got it into second, there was a loud bang. I did think at first I had done my diff, as I had no forward gears, just grinding.
I rang roadside assist, and within half an hour the car was picked up. One thing I will say, the service and the way FPV roadside assist got things going and my dealer service dept were second to none. Wignall Ford Mornington, esp Shane were fantastic. The car was delivered at 7-30 am, I rang him at 8-50 am, he had it apart and was sourcing the part. By midday the part was on its way, and by 3 pm I was driving it again. Could not speak highly of the way it was handled from start to finish.
Shane showed me the shaft, and it looks like the cir clip that holds the joint together has let go. Ford have asked to see it complete and untouched, as they want to look at it and see what went wrong. They do look for signs of abuse with these sort of things. They look at your tyres and to see if there are signs of rubber in your guards. We will wait and see the verdict on this one.
Question, has anyone with an XR8 and a GT had any clunking noises or has anyone else had a drive shaft break at any stage.

·
I am a Turbo Wanker
2,379 Posts
My mate did the same thing to his November 2002 build XR6 Turbo about 10 months ago. But he had a bleed valve installed with extra boost. His car is a manual too.

They replaced it and that was that.

·
Falcontastic.
6,039 Posts
So tell us mate, did you need to clean your gaurd's, ha.
good to hear you were look after though.

·
Rip Up The Track Join OFR
6,021 Posts
Hi GT 522, a few months ago there was a few guys in XR8's complaining about clunking noises.. Here is a old thread I found from back in July 2003 that you might find interesting reading, hasn't been to many bad ones posted since then...
Thx
http://www.fordforums.com/showthread.php?t=42280&highlight

·
YES its a 5 Speed!!
2,242 Posts
good to hear they looked after u and u were happy with the service!!! :hy:

·
When 2 T3s are not enough
1,934 Posts
Seems to be a worry with the BAs this driveshaft thing I dont think your the first, Good to see they looked after you well, But for me the thing should not have let go in the first place....

·
I am a Turbo Wanker
2,379 Posts
Better a drive shaft breaking than a gearbox, engineered weak link anyone?!

·
Registered
434 Posts
Don't you mean the CV joint broke which is attached to the drive shaft?

cam

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
Good to see the back up service was fantastic,was it the Driveshaft or the CV joint ? i heard a rumor.
Cheers John

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Im not a mechanic, but could be the joint. It was enclosed in a rubber boot and you could not see what had actually happened as Ford want it back in tact, to examin it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts