Ford Forums banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
No stars in my eyes
1,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok...this is an honest opinion ( My Opinion ) reflecting the problems regarding the BA falcon series 1. I have been reading a lot of posts as of late, about the countless grievences regarding the BA Falcon, whether it be mechanical problems, paint defects, fpv and ford customer service.....etc,etc,etc....

This post is in no way a slandering of the BA Model....from the exterior perspective it is a really hot looking car, and i love the amount of creative design detail that has been implemented into this model that rivals some of the great Falcons of the past. But there are certain issues that still hold me back from purchasing one and as of late...after reading numerous complaints about mechanical, poor design flaws and sloppy customer service issues...I am definatley not in a hurry to race to a Ford dealership to purchase anything in the already mentioned model.

I previously stated in a thread some months ago that I allways prefer to wait for a series II model of any vehicle regardless of a particular type of car manufacturer because of the expected problems that arise from..first series design flaws....only to be grilled by those that had already purchased the model saying "this car is sweet and you don't know what yer missing dude".....I know what i'm missing....a regular trip to the dealer for repairs and the inconvenience that perpetuates from it.

I drove a Ba-Gt (mates car )and my thoughts were.....it was a definate improvement in handling and smoothness but the engine pinged it's gutts out on BP Ultimatte ( no premium fuel on the market stopped the pinging )and wasn't as quick as I expected it to be besides the hype. I wasn't impressed with the performance factor.. and a T3 TE-50 would have flogged it. The guys at FPV couldn't figure out the problem and he had worse problems as well like excessive oil usage.... Brake problems, sticking gearshift, computer problems, alarm and central locking problems...the list is as long as your arm.....he has since traded it in for a WRX and he says he will never ever buy another Ford as long as he lives.....he also whinged about the poor, sloppy and un-enthusiastic Ford personell when i came to fixing his car....

Another thing that really bothers me is that a lot of owners of XR8/6 are putting the GT stripes down the side of their cars and the only real givaway is when they drive past without the Gt wing on the back......I have said it before and got cained for it but the xr8/6 should have retained their own identity as all prevoius models where...and the GT should have been based on the traditonal standard look(XT ) ......hence the confusion......

My personnel opinion....I would and will not shell out big bucks for this car....not so much for the mechanical problems related to it...but the way Ford Customer service treats it's....employer....the people that purchase these cars......that keep them in business.

My question is to the current GT Owners ......despite the problems you have had ......would you race out buying another FORD GT or would you be more wary and cautious the next time round!

·
3dr zeTEC
222 Posts
Anything man made is going to brake down; that's an undisputable fact. Interesting thing is that when it does, chances are you'll hear about it (in all its exagerated glory)
When they don't break down, chances are you won't hear about it. Thats just how things are so when a customer relations phone number gets dialed, I'll bet you 99% of the time it's because there is a problem. Having said that, If a faulty product such as the BA Falcon can win Car of the year, and is chosen by the insurance industry as the car of the year twice in a row, I would hate to think what sort of problems you can expect from your inferior WRX!! (or any other car that didn't win for that matter) so in that context, Thankyou for bringing these facts to my attention, and I hope the buzzbox serves you well!
Just remeber "roundabout king", you have to get in front of me to "do me" at a roundabout (FAT CHANCE!)

·
Registered
118 Posts
Well I have had mine since April 2003. Build number #58. I have had only a couple of minor problems. Power Steering high presssure line leaking, repaired under warranty by the dealer no questions asked. Diff weaping oil (this is a slight weap and doesen't even drip) The dealer is prepared to fix under warranty.
My engine has used 500ml of oil per 2,000k's since new, I didn't do any special run in proceedure. I have driven it hard from day 1. It now has 20,000k's and has stopped using oil.
Engine history.
4,000k's Dynoed for the first time.
Several track days with slicks fitted.
Dutton Rally NSW three days of driving events.
I get mine serviced by the 1 mechanic. It is booked in for the first job of the morning so that the mechanic is not rushed and so that I can be with him at all times. It is a case of drive to the dealership, drive sraight up on the hoist and carry out service, then take the car for a test drive, recheck the oil and drive home. I supply the filter and oils because it is cheaper in the long run.
The mechanic often doesen't even stop for morning tea.
I have fitted dual 21/2 system cats back and lost 8KW at the rear wheels??
Exeede Processor, SS Cold Air Intake & KN Filter gained over 30KW at the back wheels.
As for going as good as a TE50, if the GT would loose some weight you wouldn't see it for dust.
I have a good mate that drove my car in the Dutton that also owns a TE50 and his comments were. It does every thing the TE does but does it just that little bit better.
His only down side was the understeer due to the weight of the engine.
But Im sure that a new set of springs will fix this.
My opinion is that it is a great car in all respects and I am happy with its performance until a GTHO is released hopefully.
The dealer issue is not great saleswise but if you have a good relationship with your Service Department you shouldn't have any problems.
As for not buying the first of a series, you are missing out. All things put together by humans or robots have the potential to break down.
I am sure the AU had its share of problems, it just seems that finally FORD/FPV have built a real car and everybody is still bagging them.
If you are not happy with a FPV go and buy something else. As for a WRX if I wanted a small car I would have bought one. If your mate sold his GT for a WRX he possibly didn't want a big car to start with. I know I wouldn't even consider a WRX because with the right driver a GT will eat them up every day of the week.
As for rushing out to buy another GT what are the options???
Holden and have it back at the dealer every week. Not in this lifetime.
WRX and being cramped wrong again.
I AM A LOYAL BLUE OVAL SUPPORTER!!!!
Stepping down of soapbox for well earner drink!!
MY GLASS IS HALF FULL NOT HALF EMPTY!!!

·
3dr zeTEC
222 Posts
I'll buy you a drink DEE GT next time I'm in your area. Until then, don't let your glass go half empty!

·
Registered
301 Posts
[My question is to the current GT Owners ......despite the problems you have had ......would you race out buying another FORD GT or would you be more wary and cautious the next time round![/QUOTE]

Without a doubt. If I could get my wife out of her Golf, she'd be driving a Lightning Strike GT/GTP!

My experience with my car has been overwhelmingly good. Pity about your mate's though.

·
BSR
2,279 Posts
Tell your mate i will take him for a spin in mine........no probs at all.

·
Registered
3,657 Posts
I've had my share of minor issues too - cam tensioner, faulty brake caliper, power pedals being the main ones but this is still a truly great car. There are things that could have been done better - especially the drive by wire and the drivetrain saving strategies - that would improve the driveability but these only really apply to the 5% of the time that I want to drive really hard. For the other 95% the car is almost perfect. It is considerably more comfortable than the T-Series was, has greater road presence and is ultimately more forgiving. In absolute performance terms it is not as fast as the T was (albeit with the benefit of a stroker engine) and I doubt that it would see off a T3 in a straight line or on a lap of any given track but the driver wouldn't have worked as hard either thanks to the additional grip of the GT-p.

Would I buy another? Yes. The chassis cries out for another 50rwkw or so to fully utilise the grip and balance but if we don't get a GT-HO by the time I'm ready to rep-lace it then I will be lining up for another. It's not perfect but it's close enough for me.

Cheers
Russ

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
To firefox7 sorry to hear about your mates hardship with his GT for some reason he obviously had a bad lemon and yes i know it should not be the case but i can happen for some reason or another,hope he has better luck with his rice cooker.
Sure their will be minor issues especially with a new model but most can be overcome and fixed to the satisfaction to the customer and yes i know that their will be other cases where their might be an issue with the Dealership or their service departments but all in all most of them are pretty good.
As far as my experience i cant fault it i must be lucky or what but its the best car i've ever owned and that includes the T-Series which was my previous car,there is no comparison between them handling ,power,quality and looks.
Cheers John

·
Registered
364 Posts
I have in the past been known for bagging the level of performance out of a stock GT and still stand by that. But as a modified vehicle no car i have driven and with my buisness i have driven many exotics GT3's, 360 mondials, 993TT, m3's and so on that have given me more enjoyment. I know that you say yeh right but i dont rate a car on the badge that it wears and on the road the gt gives lot to the driver. A few weeks ago we were at a track day at Eastern Creek and there was only one car quicker and that was a mates GT3 in full race trim. The BA GT with an extra 60 kw and a proper performance suspension is a weapon not to be toyed with it has great traction and torque to pull down a mountain. The GT in this trim i honestly beleive could be the next GTHO it is that good on the track but docile enough for every day driving, very tight in its chassis and driver correction is better than the GT3. But you ask would i buy another? Probably not for a while the amount of money to get to this stage is why i bag the standard level of the car as i beleive a perfomance car should be just that not a dolled up car for Buisness exects to drive to work in.

Elmer Fudd

·
X-DM!!
1,114 Posts
Got to agree with you Elmer, I took a GT for a run awhile ago and thought great car but couldn't get excited as some people on the performance side of things. Pretty dissapointing for a so called performance car. (stock car)

·
No stars in my eyes
1,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
burnsi My experience with my car has been overwhelmingly good. Pity about your mate's though.[/QUOTE said:
his car may have been a one off....just would not stop pinging....and in regards to his wrx...he loves it.

·
No stars in my eyes
1,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
sniper545 said:
Just remeber "roundabout king", you have to get in front of me to "do me" at a roundabout (FAT CHANCE!)

How many rwkwts does your car put out because I hope it's more than 267.

·
No stars in my eyes
1,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
sniper545 said:

Thats a big boast considering you don't even know what i drive.....so what would you use...a ford focus.

·
Rip Up The Track Join OFR
6,021 Posts
Wow its like chalk and cheese, if he loves he's WRX that much he would have never been suited to any big touring car, its rice Vs roar...
I like the roar..only yesterday in a workshop a seen a engine out of a WRX, its dead now there waiting for $8000 worth of rice to fix it…,

·
BA XR8
448 Posts
ARe you talking just GT's?

Because I own an XR8 out of the first 2 batches made, and truthfully, I have not had one problem with it yet, and it's a year old now.

It didn't suck down oil or fuel, no rattles, no ping... just smooth driving and grunt aplenty.

It had a software glitch about 3 months after purchase, which when I returned to the dealer to fix, they hounded up Ford central for a fix, and it was done within a few days. No bitching or avoidance from my dealer at all.

There's always lemons in batches of cars, no matter what brand/model they are, and maybe your mate is just unlucky to get one. He is of course, within his rights to demand a replacement if they can't fix a problem in a brand spanker. I wouldn't put up with shit like that. If it's unfixable, then I don't want it. Take it back. *stamps foot*

·
When 2 T3s are not enough
1,934 Posts
russellw said:
I've had my share of minor issues too - cam tensioner, faulty brake caliper, power pedals being the main ones but this is still a truly great car. There are things that could have been done better - especially the drive by wire and the drivetrain saving strategies - that would improve the driveability but these only really apply to the 5% of the time that I want to drive really hard. For the other 95% the car is almost perfect. It is considerably more comfortable than the T-Series was, has greater road presence and is ultimately more forgiving. In absolute performance terms it is not as fast as the T was (albeit with the benefit of a stroker engine) and I doubt that it would see off a T3 in a straight line or on a lap of any given track but the driver wouldn't have worked as hard either thanks to the additional grip of the GT-p.

Would I buy another? Yes. The chassis cries out for another 50rwkw or so to fully utilise the grip and balance but if we don't get a GT-HO by the time I'm ready to rep-lace it then I will be lining up for another. It's not perfect but it's close enough for me.

Cheers
Russ
I have driven both the GT and T3 very hard and I can tell you you will work a lot harder in the GT to get the same lap time, and its all got to do with the weight, as for thr GT needing an other 50 kw I don't think so, that motor is a ripper but its draging to much weight, IMO leave the GT as it is, it is a bloody sweet thing, just if it was 150kg lighter it would be just about unbeatable, the 0 to 100 times would drop, corner speed would go up, braking would improve. As for the comfort the TE dosn't get a look in, the GT is a mile ahead. Would I by a GT? not just yet, At the moment the TE is still giving a woody when that stops It'll be of to the ford dealer to pick up a GT........Thats my 2bobs worth...Cheers Steve

·
The Deputy Dogg.
1,862 Posts
firefox7 said:
Thats a big boast considering you don't even know what i drive.....so what would you use...a ford focus.

I know what you drive, i dont think many people who saw your video would challenge you Firefox, especially a Focus :)

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
Good to hear that the XR 8 is giving you plenty of enjoyment and going strong,and to sbutler good to see the T3 is still giving you a woody LOL There's nothing like a ROAR of a V8
Cheers John

·
No stars in my eyes
1,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
falcon coupe said:
I know what you drive, i dont think many people who saw your video would challenge you Firefox, especially a Focus :)

LOL...Dude.....was just waiting for someone to say something.......roflmao...

1 - 20 of 61 Posts