Ford Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
RTV403
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi was wondering what modifications are available for a stock BA 6 cylinder, for increasing power output ect...

Thanks

·
Tickford and FPV Bloke
953 Posts
Try changing the Air intake for a start and maybe an exhaust and a set of extractors will give you a bit more power.

Otherwise you can always supercharge it.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Re: BA modifications

There are heaps of threads about BA N/A I6 mods if you do a general search on this site. There are many opinions. After all the research I've done here and elsewhere, this is what I've done so far.

You can't do much and not risk warranty problems. I've not touched any internal bits such as the cams or cylinder head porting, or other questionable bits such as underdrive pulleys etc. What I've done should not void my warranty but check with your dealer first.

I've sharpened up the performance a bit in my auto XR6 N/A for around $1,000 with Pacemaker extractors, a 2 1/2 in exhaust, Lukey sports muffler (the rear one is still stock :zzz: ), K&N panel filter and an XR6T intake snorkel.

Cost: Approx $30 for the XR6T snorkel from your Ford dealer (part no. BA 9A624 A). My dealer fitted it there and then for nix! To install see another user's website on this mod and installation see http://users.bigpond.net.au/BA_Falcon_XR6/index_frames.html

(As an alternative, $400 will buy a SS inductions intake but I query the value for money vs performance boost on a N/A engine compared with $30 for the XR6T intake - there are many arguments in the forums to search on this issue).

Approx $400 for Pacemaker extractors installed depending on how well you shop around.

Approx $500 for a complete mild steel 2 1/2 in system (use the stock cat convertor its only worth 1kw or so for an aftermarket replacement). There are heaps to choose from - shop around for good deals and make sure you get mandrel bent pipes not pressed bends like I got. :fraz: I spent $280 and only replaced the stock muffler (located just before the rear axle) and kept the stock rear resonator. The press bent pipe going over the rear axle has to turn a right angle before the rear resonator and the bent pipe is quite flat.

Approx $140 K&N panel filter - from most auto shops such as Autobarn, Supercheap etc the correct K&N part no. is 33-2852 (I found it hard to get hold of here). There is a K&N cleaning/oiling kit for $35 but don't buy it until you've done 10,000 k's wiht the filter.

I found that the mods (which were all done at once) hardly seemed to make much difference until the computer finally learned about them after 2 weeks or so driving. Its getting better and better as time goes on and I think the money spent was worth it.

The system still sounds stock but with a deeper idle and some deeper rasp as you accelerate and decelerate. It is still quiet really. The stock engine with auto is slow off the mark until the revs build. My car is noticeably quicker off the mark with no noticeable drone at cruise revs. Using the stock rear resonator is perfect to keep the noise to a minimum. However, I'm thinking about replacing the rear stock muffler and press - bent pipe with a 2 1/2 Lukey sports straight through resonator with mandrel bent pipe-and-resonator bolt up assembly.
There is a reference and photos of an entire BA sports exhaust (cat back) on www.lukey.com.au in the distributors pages under bulletins (Nov 03 I think). The Lukey site is not working properly tonight for some reason though.

I also checked out a 2 1/2 in bolt up system from ESR that comes with a XR6 style stainless tip that was quite impressive. Redback also have systems. Only Lukey has pictures on the internet though.

The ultimate exhaust systems however appear to be the Herrod systems but they are big dollars. All the user threads I've seen say they are dear but all of them are happy customers. Herrods are in Melb but many Ford dealers will fit these systems.

There are many other favourite exhaust systems used by others on this site such as Jim Mock Motorsport. If you don't live in Melbourne these might be hard to access.

Lastly, I'm going to persist with the stock computer for a while to see if it improves with more time. In the end I think I'll be looking at an Xede chip www.xede.com.au or a Unichip but the warranty implications are a worry. There are many threads which suggest the full value of extractors/exhaust/filter cannot be fully realised without a chip.

·
Registered
548 Posts
Okay the mods on mine are.
1. Herrod stainless system with Herrod headers, $2250
2. SS cold air induction system with 33mm spacers, $350
3. K&N air filter, $125
Things to come are.
1.Brembo brakes, $6700
2. Spyder 18 x 8 mags fitted with Eagle F1's, $2700
3. Unichip fitted, tuned and dyno'd, $1500
4. King springs and coni shocks, $2000

·
Registered
40 Posts
Re: BA modifications

G'day Shane. Any dyno figure for rwkw after your mods?

·
Registered
548 Posts
Not as yet, will get that done when Herrods put in the unichip they do a b4 and after dyno test so i will know how much it has helped. Looking around today for a better price on the spyder mags and tyers and have got a quote for $2516 from Goodyear in Mitcham.

·
Registered
548 Posts
sorry guys in the end i didn't get the spyder mags, got my hands on some BBS Motorsport mags 19x8.5 fronts and 19x9.5 rears, these are the same as the one on the DJR car in preformance ford mag......................$6310.

·
When 2 T3s are not enough
1,934 Posts
ur003127 said:
Hi was wondering what modifications are available for a stock BA 6 cylinder, for increasing power output ect...

Thanks
You've only had it 5 minutes and here comes the mods !! I love that.....

·
Lamahs approve of manuals
1,382 Posts
shane3 said:
sorry guys in the end i didn't get the spyder mags, got my hands on some BBS Motorsport mags 19x8.5 fronts and 19x9.5 rears, these are the same as the one on the DJR car in preformance ford mag......................$6310.
Nice wheels . . . but DAMN that is a lot of cash !

Have you put up pics anywhere yet ?

·
Registered
548 Posts
Bank cheque actually !!! and yes see (my car)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts