Ford Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
RTV403
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Just joined this forum, bought my first Ford 2 days ago RTV ute with a tray. Build date is December 2003. Paid $32,000 for it. AUTO/AIR/etc.....

Anyway here's my question. Cruising along fine done about 500 k's filled it up, rather I think I overfilled it. Anyway DTE on dash went up came down to
435 and been stuck there for the last 80 k's not going up and down, also after 80k's tank is still full won't fill up. Pumps just click over.

Anyway if anyone can offer me any advice or whether they have had this problem, it would be much appreciated.

Thanks

·
Tickford and FPV Bloke
953 Posts
Yeh i think i know where ur coming from casper, coz today i filled my car up at the petrol station - it said it had 50 kms left, it took 66 litres - 68 litre fuel tank.

I can smell a rat, but at the same time ive had the DTE down to 0 for a while and havent ran out.

The best thing to do is fill up when the red light comes on i think.

·
Bourbon powered V8
4,751 Posts
back2thefutura said:
on my EF the DTE is correct down to the last km, perfect every time.
How could you possibly know that. The only way to have it "correct down to the last km" is to ONLY ever fill up when you hit zero, and EXACTLY at that moment, the car stops due to lack of petrol!

As others have said, DTE is a guide only - I always top up when it gets down to 80.

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
Don't you blokes have a fuel gauge? :)

Mind you, that is not reliable either. I had a dodgy battery for a while, and finally replaced it when the air bag light come on ( it will set a fault for "low battery"). Anyway, before the battery change, the fuel gauge was showing 1/4, when I replaced the battery, the fuel gauge was showing 3/4 :fraz:. I just love electronics in cars.

Oh, and my DTE readout actually goes up as you are driving, work that one out!

cheers

·
Australian BA XR6 Falcon
1,249 Posts
My BA's DTE seems to be fairly accurate. Fill it up, reset Trip A (never been able to get much more than approx. 58 litres into it) and DTE says about 533k's, it goes up and down a bit but I know I can always get 500k's from a tank, lowest i've got it is 12k's left on DTE, usually fill it up between 30-80k's when I get the ding dongs.

·
Read Only
1,395 Posts
DTE is only a guide, and even then that's when you're driving at a constant rate. If anything, my AU2 one tonner will always read less Km's to empty than what I really can go, tied in very much with my fuel guage which will read empty when I still could fit 15 litres in it, which is about 100k. I guess this might be because my ute is straight gas, and Ford made it like this, for safety's sake. (no jerry can's for me).
It is pretty accurate, based on what the economy of the last tank is, when I first fill it.(range Vs 91 litres on last tanks econ rate)
But I won't believe it again until I've done a round trip from work to home and back again. When I get home it'll read less optimistically because it's near all uphill. Whereas to work is the opposite, I might see it go down for a bit then level out and stay on 430 for example for a while (or even go up) based on all downhill driving.
So yeah, after all that crap I just said, it's just a guide.....damn i go on sometimes.

·
Resident geek freak
935 Posts
Ive had my XT DTE say theres only 12KM left, but only got 60 litres in.
SO..either its very conservative or the tank wont aaccept full amount.
Never got more then 62 litres in, but, given that the guage swings to
past the FULL line i think the DTE is conservative. Which is better then runnig out I guess.

60 litres gets me about 540 on freeways and 400 and something round city.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts