Ford Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
2,922 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
G'day - Day 1 of owning a BA.

We finally took delivery of our Citric Acid BA XR6, and have a question already! The car is making a considerable noise in fifth gear (its a T5 manual), at about 100kmh. Slightly more and it goes away, but a little more and its back. Its a very noticeable noise, and also goes away when you push the clutch in. It sounds like tyre drone - but disappears when the clutch is in.

It wasn't present on the demonstrator we tried, is this normal, or will it go away? Or should it head back to Ford for some work already? Any advice would be welcome!

Cheers... Tim

·
Blue Blood
1,375 Posts
Zantetsuken said:
G'day - Day 1 of owning a BA.

We finally took delivery of our Citric Acid BA XR6, and have a question already! The car is making a considerable noise in fifth gear (its a T5 manual), at about 100kmh. Slightly more and it goes away, but a little more and its back. Its a very noticeable noise, and also goes away when you push the clutch in. It sounds like tyre drone - but disappears when the clutch is in.

It wasn't present on the demonstrator we tried, is this normal, or will it go away? Or should it head back to Ford for some work already? Any advice would be welcome!

Cheers... Tim

Must admit thats one I don't have. My AU had something similar but it would occur at 80km/h in 4th. a proper balanced alloy tailshaft fixed the problem.

·
X-DM!!
1,114 Posts
Tim are you sure it is the gear box or the diff. Anyway mate I would take it back. I did with my ute, 2 months plus, still waiting for a diff.

·
2,922 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The reason I dont think it is the diff, is that when you push the clutch in and the car is still at the same speed, the noise disappears. I also don't think it is the clutch and the clutch is silent in the other gears.

It makes me think it is gearbox related. But I am no motor mechanic - just wondered if it will disappear as it wears in, if anyone has had this, or to take it back because explosion is imminent! Well, maybe not that bad, but you get the idea ;)

Cheers... Tim!

·
X-DM!!
1,114 Posts
Sometimes when the load comes off the diff (clutch in) on over run the noise will go away but your been driving it so you would have more of an idea. Either way mate, the noise won't go away. Take it back Tim.

·
2,922 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just an update - the car finally went back to Ford, who had it for over a week... and we were told that there is no noise. :wtf:

This is exactly the sort of thing we were hesitant to buy another Falcon for! The car WILL be going back for another look - including a drive with a mechanic inside and in the demonstrater that didnt have the noise - and if they refuse to fix it, the car will be sold immediately (the noise is THAT bad) and it will simply be the last Ford we ever buy.

Can't get enough of this? Had way too much of this!! :bang:

Not happy... Tim

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Test if the noise varies on power, coast, decel, and try it in fourth and fifth. If it is present in both gears it is more likely to be diff.

·
2,922 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah we've tried it all, as I have described in earlier posts. Just in fifth, goes away when clutch is pushed in, not in other gears.

Tim

·
Lamahs approve of manuals
1,382 Posts
Unfortunatebly its not just ford dealers - my parents had a new magna a few years ago, and it developed a bad clutch shudder. It took 4 returns to actually make them agree that there was a shudder . . . and I can't remember how many after that to actually fix it . . .

If nothing else, slap them around a lot for taking a week to decide that there isn't a problem. Hehehe . . . on that test drive, remember the mechanic is at your mercy, you can drive him around, and around, and around until he agrees that there is a noise - think of it as a negotiation . . . he wants home, you want a fix ;)

·
2,922 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ah haha nice... I like it! :angel:

I'll post how it goes when we find the time to take it back... again!

Cheers... Tim

·
Registered
5 Posts
my xr8 made a droning noise at 110k/h for about 10 secs i pushed the clutch in (it stopped) then let it out and then the fifth gear felt it didn't need all of its teeth. that was 3 weeks ago still waiting for a new fifth gear to turn up.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
loges xr8 said:
my xr8 made a droning noise at 110k/h for about 10 secs i pushed the clutch in (it stopped) then let it out and then the fifth gear felt it didn't need all of its teeth. that was 3 weeks ago still waiting for a new fifth gear to turn up.
Have to be pissed at that. I'm pretty sure those gears are a stock item, tell Ford to pull their finger out.

·
GUN.40L
407 Posts
to buy a brand new car and have issues thats GOTTA piss you off, ford freak or not i get where your coming from tim, all dealers say they have great service after you buy the car but its all a load of crap!!! when you buy it and your out they make u go back and forth about 10 times before they do anything. there saving money, they will try anything to get you in the car but when it comes to service they will do anything so they dont have to fix it, then when the warranty is up they will be more then happy to fix your problem. its a dirty game ALL dealers play. all i can say is good luck and go back A.S.A.P so they get sick of you and fix it ;-)

·
T5 Expert Operator
6,540 Posts
Geez the more things change the more things stay the same.

Tim,
My car has the same issue as ianmcginley, low rpm in 4th or 5th will invoke the noise. It's mainly an NVH issue over a balance issue. (Believe me i've tested it at very high speeds and theres no vibrations at all. Ford made the 2 piece tail shaft specifically to solve this NVH issue. Sounds like you have to hassle Ford to solve the issue.

·
2,922 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yeah it has been frustrating, and I have an update on it all, as soon as I get a chance, I'll type it out and put it up!

Tim

·
Bucknaked Is My Real Name
1,458 Posts
Ford push a car off the factory line every 52 seconds. Its interesting why you have to wait for a part to fix their poor workmanship. They don't care, that have your $45,000. Why on earth do they want to honour the warranty. I sometimes think they keep the car for long periods of time to run the warranty down.

·
Proud Ford Owner
799 Posts
They honour the warranty for the sake of brand loyalty. It is absolutely in their best interest to treat their customers like royalty.

·
Registered
18 Posts
:edit:
Tim, I've got the same droning noise at 105kpm - 110kph. I pestered Ford Service got their test driver to come out for a run, he said it was normal - that's pure BS ! I persisted and they got the Ford Service Rep involved, he said its a known issue and to remove the dampener from the IRS to resolve the problem. Ford spent a day dropping out rear suspension to remove the dampener and install a longer bolt. The outcome was that the droning noise disappeared at 105-110kph - but now the droning noise is occuring at 13-1500rpm it 4th gear (50kph) & 5th gear (70kph) ....... back to Ford !!

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
TimB said:
but now the droning noise is occuring at 13-1500rpm it 4th gear (50kph) & 5th gear (70kph) ....... back to Ford !!
Any manual trans is going to generate a shudder through the car at those rpm.

·
Registered
18 Posts
XR_Strider_GuY said:
Geez the more things change the more things stay the same.

My car has the same issue as ianmcginley, low rpm in 4th or 5th will invoke the noise. It's mainly an NVH issue over a balance issue. (Believe me i've tested it at very high speeds and theres no vibrations at all. Ford made the 2 piece tail shaft specifically to solve this NVH issue. Sounds like you have to hassle Ford to solve the issue.

What does NVH stand for ??

1 - 20 of 31 Posts