Ford Forums banner

41 - 60 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Frustrated,

I can understand you are - um frustrated. I urge you to call Rob and have a chat to him about the problem and see what he thinks. I am sure he stands by his products he wouldnt have such a good name if he didnt. What do you have to lose a few bucks to gain some power as well. Sometimes you have to take things into your own hands! I wouldnt hold my breath waiting for a fix from the factory as of yet coz the issue is far more complex than we can explain on ff

regards dumbarse

·
THE PHANTOM
251 Posts
Had the latest pcm installed Monday week ago. Last night it stalled on me part way 'round a bend as I was down shifting. It's very hard to steer a car one hand when the p/steering isn't there. It tends to want to go in a straight line. I quickly let my foot off of the clutch and it jerked back into life. Lucky there wasn't a car along-side of me.

If you are saying Rob can fix it, is that because he doesn't comply to the same rules the factory guys have to.

Is it a purge valve issue on all cars or is it one of the causes. If it is purge valve timing, isn't that fixed with the software updates, it's not like they have to specially treat a car for it. Why isn't every car doing it?

When mine stalls it's not like it runs rough and the idle deteriorates until it can't go on, it just goes from whatever the revs were before I put my foot on the clutch straight down to zero with no warning. The first sign is no power steering. I wonder if this happened to Mr. Flints car, would he be very impressed. I s'pose he'd just grab another car .

·
THE PHANTOM
251 Posts
Hi FRUSTRATED, I just I just spoke to the CRC. Ford told me the new pcm should have fixed it because the other two or three they did a few weeks ago haven't had the problem. I don't believe that is enough time to guarantee that the fix worked. How long ago did they come out and play with your software, and have they suggested the new pcm fix to you. My car is booked in to the dealership early Jan for a few days to run some tests.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Just a though have they looked at the Fly by wire throtle at all.

I did here of a similar case a long time ago that someone had and they replaced the Fly by wire throtle and it fixed it up.

·
Gota be Happy with a Hump
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
FANTM1 said:
Hi FRUSTRATED, I just I just spoke to the CRC. Ford told me the new pcm should have fixed it because the other two or three they did a few weeks ago haven't had the problem. I don't believe that is enough time to guarantee that the fix worked. How long ago did they come out and play with your software, and have they suggested the new pcm fix to you. My car is booked in to the dealership early Jan for a few days to run some tests.

Gidday,

All I can say is Ford CRC and the Service Departments are full of crap!
Or one hand doesn't know what the other one is doing.
I had the latest PCM upgrade on 9 Dec 04. (Guaranteed to work. haha)
Car stalled again 10 Dec 04. (Also several times since).
Notified Ford CRC (Jason) and also my Service Department that the problem is still there on 13 Dec 04.

For Ford CRC to say that the ones they have flashed with the new PCM are fixed is stretching the truth to say the least.

My car is booked in for another lash/guess ???? at the problem tomorrow. I am definately not holding my breath.

I don't quite know about increasing the revs!!
My car quite often cuts out around 4000-5000 revs while under acceleration and being an auto I have to physically restart it.

When I mentioned some of the other fixes (O2 sensors etc) with my dealer he said (quote) "We can't just go changing parts, because if they send them to Ford and they are not faulty, they (the Dealer) has to pay for them".

I hit the roof and told him that I didn't give a sh*t if they change every part in the car at their expense or Ford's, I just want it fixed.

Cheers,

Chris

·
THE PHANTOM
251 Posts
Chris, did they they actually change the pcm - as in unbolt and put in the latest piece of hardware, or did they just reflash.

·
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
FANTM1 said:
Chris, did they they actually change the pcm - as in unbolt and put in the latest piece of hardware, or did they just reflash.

No hardware change, just software/firmware? reflash.

·
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
FANTM1 said:

I actually thought someone said to physically change the pcm or ecu or whatever it is called is a major operation as the radio, key security etc is somehow keyed to the processor ID ??????

·
THE PHANTOM
251 Posts
That's funny, cos they told me the last fixes that were done 3 or 4 weeks ago were all pcm changeovers. Maybe yours wasn't one of them.

As regards to security codes I forgot to give them my spare keys, maybe they coded the computer to my keypad or BEM. I'll try my spare tonight.

·
THE PHANTOM
251 Posts
Tried my spare keys last night, actually I just stayed inside the house and used the remote and it worked ok.

·
Registered
106 Posts
FANTM1 said:
If you are saying Rob can fix it, is that because he doesn't comply to the same rules the factory guys have to.QUITE

I am saying Rob MAY be able to help with this problem considering the programming ablity of the stealth/advantage and yes the aftermarket can sometimes be quicker reacting than the factory

QUOTE Is it a purge valve issue on all cars or is it one of the causes. If it is purge valve timing, isn't that fixed with the software updates, it's not like they have to specially treat a car for it. Why isn't every car doing it?

No I think there is more than one cause of the stalling. The main ones seem to be the idle and purge in hot weather.

·
Registered
434 Posts
MYV8 said:
Hi there,
Does anyone else out there have a problem with their XR8 cutting out at any time, any place, any revs?
Being an auto by the time you put it in neutral and restart it you could have been run over by the semi boring down on you at 120kph.
According to the dealer I am the only one in the world with the problem, and as it does not show as an error when they analyse it so they can't help me.
The fault appears to be random so I can't get it to happen with the service tech in the ute.
The problem has been there since day one and now done 10,000km.
Fitting a Herrod exhaust and unichip made no difference.
Any help/ideas would be appreciated as Ford itself does not seem interested, which is dissapointing.

Thanks, MYV8
G'day MYV8

I've got a BA GT-P Auto and I had similar problems to youself. I had a Herrod exhaust and an UNI-CHIP. I had the car back to Ford and they said the same to me. I also had problems with stalling and mis-fire.

This is what I did to fix my cut out problems
1. removed uni-chip
2. installed the Herrod Stealth.
Fixed!!!

I believe the uni-chip was not the cause of the mis-fire and stalling, as it still stalled and but out without the uni-chip, but I do know that the Stealth is responsible for the fixing of the problem. Herrod are able to program every element of the cars computer to fix software related problems, and still to this day, my car has not stalled or cut out.

hope this helps mate.

cam

·
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
GTP 200 said:
G'day MYV8

I've got a BA GT-P Auto and I had similar problems to youself. I had a Herrod exhaust and an UNI-CHIP. I had the car back to Ford and they said the same to me. I also had problems with stalling and mis-fire.

This is what I did to fix my cut out problems
1. removed uni-chip
2. installed the Herrod Stealth.
Fixed!!!

I believe the uni-chip was not the cause of the mis-fire and stalling, as it still stalled and but out without the uni-chip, but I do know that the Stealth is responsible for the fixing of the problem. Herrod are able to program every element of the cars computer to fix software related problems, and still to this day, my car has not stalled or cut out.

hope this helps mate.

cam

Gidday Cam,
Thanks for the reply.
I had this problem happening from the second day I had the car, which was long before the unichip went in, but obviously nothing can be ruled out.
I was back at my dealer yesterday for another "fix" where the service manager said the problem is widespread 200 plus XR8,s according to him, and Ford is treating the fix as a priority!!!!
The "Edit" scene is very interesting and the competiton has got to be good for us guys.
Making the choice is the problem. I was thinking of putting a Vortec blower on the car next year, (if I can talk the Director of Finance {read wife} into it), so which edit is going to be best I will have to keep reading the forum.
On a positive note, yesterday, Ford/Dunlop replaced my 4 Dunlop SP3000 tyres because of cracks on the inside walls after 11000 km, completely FREE. Anyone else had this problem??? I have pics of the cracks, but don't know how to put them up here.
If anyone wants to see what to look for, pm me and I will email them.

Cheers,

Chris

·
Magnificence in Motion
318 Posts
Well, she had her factory reflash on the 9th Dec and stalled again today.

I'm getting one of the Edit's no doubt about it, just waiting for the APS version before I jump in to a decision on which.

Was flat out beating my son in his V6 Commy today too, tho he got the jump on me cause the in car whinging system (read wife) was firmly telling me not to do it, so I was sort of distracted.

Did'nt get past him till around 4000 revs so I was a bit pissed, hell his Commies only a six, but my XR8 did beat him and thats really the most important thing, I guess!!! I just expected it to be a little easier!

Hope that APS one hurries up, I want one or the other yesterday for lots of reasons.

·
Registered
77 Posts
MYV8 said:
Hi there,
Does anyone else out there have a problem with their XR8 cutting out at any time, any place, any revs?
Being an auto by the time you put it in neutral and restart it you could have been run over by the semi boring down on you at 120kph.
According to the dealer I am the only one in the world with the problem, and as it does not show as an error when they analyse it so they can't help me.
The fault appears to be random so I can't get it to happen with the service tech in the ute.
The problem has been there since day one and now done 10,000km.
Fitting a Herrod exhaust and unichip made no difference.
Any help/ideas would be appreciated as Ford itself does not seem interested, which is dissapointing.

Thanks, MYV8
I had the same problem with my V8 Ghia. After 38000K's and 22 times at the dealer I sold it. Same thing they said to me, can't find the fault, no codes. They upgraded the software 3 times.

·
THE PHANTOM
251 Posts
MYV8 said:
Gidday Cam,
Thanks for the reply.
I had this problem happening from the second day I had the car, which was long before the unichip went in, but obviously nothing can be ruled out.
I was back at my dealer yesterday for another "fix" where the service manager said the problem is widespread 200 plus XR8,s according to him, and Ford is treating the fix as a priority!!!!
The "Edit" scene is very interesting and the competiton has got to be good for us guys.
Making the choice is the problem. I was thinking of putting a Vortec blower on the car next year, (if I can talk the Director of Finance {read wife} into it), so which edit is going to be best I will have to keep reading the forum.
On a positive note, yesterday, Ford/Dunlop replaced my 4 Dunlop SP3000 tyres because of cracks on the inside walls after 11000 km, completely FREE. Anyone else had this problem??? I have pics of the cracks, but don't know how to put them up here.
If anyone wants to see what to look for, pm me and I will email them.

Cheers,

Chris
Re your tyres. I had one that was a mess on the inside with a series of radial slits. I thought it was from the road I drive on, but it was only one out of a few sets of tyres. Oh well, thats history now.

·
THE PHANTOM
251 Posts
FANTM1 said:
Had the latest pcm installed Monday week ago. Last night it stalled on me part way 'round a bend as I was down shifting. It's very hard to steer a car one hand when the p/steering isn't there. It tends to want to go in a straight line. I quickly let my foot off of the clutch and it jerked back into life. Lucky there wasn't a car along-side of me.

QUOTE]

Car has now been back to Rebel Ford and the Software that goes with the new PCM has been loaded. Apparently this is unique software that you only get with the new pcm. They(CRC) have told me those who have had this fix haven't had a reoccurence of stalling. We'll see how it goes with time.

·
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
FANTM1 said:
FANTM1 said:

QUOTE]

Car has now been back to Rebel Ford and the Software that goes with the new PCM has been loaded. Apparently this is unique software that you only get with the new pcm. They(CRC) have told me those who have had this fix haven't had a reoccurence of stalling. We'll see how it goes with time.

Wish mine was manual!!!
Stopped 4 times in last 2 weeks around 4000-5000rpm. Complete momentary electrical shutdown. Always while accelerating now.
CRC rang yesterday to say the new (again) pcm upgrade has arrived from the states and gets installed next Tuesday.
Here's hoping!!!!!!

Cheers Chris

·
Registered
94 Posts
I am now another victim of the stalling XR8 saga. Mine started to do it about 2 months ago with about 14000klms on the clock. Coming up to traffic lights, the car would drop to idle, idle would flutter and then drop to nothing. Last week, it was in for it's service and they said they have cleaned the throttle body and reflashed the ecu so it should be fine. 20 minutes later on my way home it stalled at around 30kph in a back street. Then, two days later is did it 5 times in a row whilst sitting in traffic. We have found that when the a/c is off, it doesn't seem to get this problem. So I initally suspected the idle up circuit for the a/c. I left my car with my dealer last night and he rang this morning to say that they got it to play up and they are ordering a new throttle body for it ASAP. He also mentioned that they've seen a few do it and so far, they've used 3 different fixes so they'll try the most common first and see if it works. I'll keep you posted.

41 - 60 of 73 Posts