Ford Forums banner

61 - 73 of 73 Posts

·
Gota be Happy with a Hump
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #62
FANTM1 said:
Mine's stiil going ok with the new TB. I've done app 7,000kM since the computer upgrade.

The saga continues.
The ute went in again on Friday for the latest reflash when they realised that the one they received two days previous was actually the one they did 4 weeks ago. hahaha. They decided it was probably a waste of time.
Bearing in mind that my car has an electrical shutdown problem and not rough idle/stalling problem they have finally agreed to send it to an auto electrician to look for a earthing/loose connection problem and when that fails they may consider replacing the ECU box itself.
Personally I think its the ECU as when I told him that I deliberately hit the rev limiter a couple of times on the way there, will that show a code, he said yes and took me out to show me.
The WDS could read the pcm version number etc and reflash the code but when he went to the error code section it would only print "communication bus error". Apparently thats why in 12 months I have never had an error code.
At least now they are prepared to look elsewhere for the problem and hopefully they will find it soon, as I now only have 24 months of warranty left. LOL

Chris

·
Registered
24 Posts
I have had my XR8 sedan in three times to have this fixed, it is now booked in on Tuesday for yet another update, but only after a call to Ford Customer Service after legal advice on what and how to converse with them. Turns out that as my car is a lease car and used for company use, any accident i have while on work business is covered by workcover, since i have reported a manufacturing defect that is not a one of in my car to the ford and they cannot fix it, our workcover insurer is likely to pass liability to ford if the accident was casued by the car shutting down.....

Anyway we'll see what happens on tuesday...

·
Registered
17 Posts
75Hardtop said:
I am now another victim of the stalling XR8 saga. Mine started to do it about 2 months ago with about 14000klms on the clock. Coming up to traffic lights, the car would drop to idle, idle would flutter and then drop to nothing. Last week, it was in for it's service and they said they have cleaned the throttle body and reflashed the ecu so it should be fine. 20 minutes later on my way home it stalled at around 30kph in a back street. Then, two days later is did it 5 times in a row whilst sitting in traffic. We have found that when the a/c is off, it doesn't seem to get this problem. So I initally suspected the idle up circuit for the a/c. I left my car with my dealer last night and he rang this morning to say that they got it to play up and they are ordering a new throttle body for it ASAP. He also mentioned that they've seen a few do it and so far, they've used 3 different fixes so they'll try the most common first and see if it works. I'll keep you posted.
75Hardtop,

Mine is doing exactly the same as yours, for the last 12 months. Hence I'm about to piss my XR off and get a Subaru Liberty GT instead.
Anyoneone want a cheap BA XR8.

Has it been fixed ?

If so what was the problem and fix ?

Tony

·
THE PHANTOM
251 Posts
Have you spoken to Ford Customer Relationship Centre. Ask for Jason. He Knows there is a stalling issue. There could be a number of reasons why. I would think that if it wasn't stalling from the word go, that it may be other than a computer problem. When they put the new comp in mine they told me they also cleaned the throttle body. So in some cases (going back over the threads) this has been the fix.

·
Registered
17 Posts
FANTM1 said:
Have you spoken to Ford Customer Relationship Centre. Ask for Jason. He Knows there is a stalling issue. There could be a number of reasons why.
Fantm1,
Just interested in the specifics of "75Hardtop"'s probs, since my problem is identical. The cars been to the dealer for this once and all they did was "flash" it.

I can't complain about the dealer at all. They have addressed all my problems:
Coolant Leak, Brakes needed machining after a hard fang, new diff (too much play), new tail shaft & uni (vibration @ 100km/hr), new fuel pump (too noisy) & the dash has been out cause the climate control wouldn't blow at face level (and it doesn't rattle or squeak)

Tony

·
Registered
24 Posts
Well the dealer still has mine, they cannot work out why it is stalling, but giving them credit they have replaced every other item, wheels, gearbox, dash items, gear stick and leather boot etc ... pity they cannot fix the one thing I am really wanting fixed. In the meantime I get to drive around in the all powerful focus (auto) woohoo!!

Oppss forgot - Customer Service have been excellent ringing me at every occasion to let me know what the dealer is saying is true and to let me know what they are doing next, pity they cant get me an XR8 loan car :(

·
Gota be Happy with a Hump
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #68
Mr_XR said:
Well the dealer still has mine, they cannot work out why it is stalling, but giving them credit they have replaced every other item, wheels, gearbox, dash items, gear stick and leather boot etc ... pity they cannot fix the one thing I am really wanting fixed. In the meantime I get to drive around in the all powerful focus (auto) woohoo!!

Oppss forgot - Customer Service have been excellent ringing me at every occasion to let me know what the dealer is saying is true and to let me know what they are doing next, pity they cant get me an XR8 loan car :(

Hahahaha,
The dealers got mine too. It will be days......weeks..........who knows.
I got my wifes car (WRX), she's got my motorcycle, but can't ride and Ford CRC are still telling me what a good job they are doing.
After 12 months it's wearing a bit thin.
I'll see what guaranteed fix they come up with this time, or maybe they might find that elusive loose wire or something. LOL
Mmmmmmm this Rex aint bad, pity the missus is too scared to drive the XR8 in case it stops in the middle of an intersection.

C Ya,

Chris

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi there,
Does anyone else out there have a problem with their XR8 cutting out at any time, any place, any revs?
Being an auto by the time you put it in neutral and restart it you could have been run over by the semi boring down on you at 120kph.
According to the dealer I am the only one in the world with the problem, and as it does not show as an error when they analyse it so they can't help me.
The fault appears to be random so I can't get it to happen with the service tech in the ute.
The problem has been there since day one and now done 10,000km.
Fitting a Herrod exhaust and unichip made no difference.
Any help/ideas would be appreciated as Ford itself does not seem interested, which is dissapointing.

Thanks, MYV8
Hi Chris

I have a Ford XR8 BA Boss. Have had engine cut out for several years. It only seems to happen on a long trip open road highway/freeway at high speed. Has happened once coming back from the City (Sydney) back home locally once. When it happens the car won't start at first straight after but after a short time will start again you take off again and a few kms later the same thing, not good to have your engine and everything fail at 110km plus on the freeway!! Have had it to Goulburn Ford, Titan Ford and other mechincal repair places and everyone says the computer says it is fine there is nothing wrong! So frustrating!!! Just came back from Forster and on the F3 and here we go again after the third break down had the car towed home with 3 year old, wife and dog!! Was fine going up to Forster no problems it is very random but has happened now on three separate holidays. When it starts to happen it keeps happening until it is rested for a a few hours. Car is at mechanics at the moment and again nobody can diagnose the problem. So can totally sympathise with your situation. I have come to his forum to try and find answers as to why the car has this problem. Good luck Chris. David

·
Super Moderator
8,064 Posts
Almost sounds like you have something maybe cutting off the fuel. Possible tank contaminant.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Gidday Black Kat,

Thanks for the info.
I gather from your reply that you must have had a similar problem, which is interesting, because when I rang my service manager yesterday, he said that he had talked to FORD regarding my problem and they know of no such problem. He definately did not suggest a computer flush or any other solution.
He said the only fix they had was for a XR6T computer/turbo problem, which is not much help for an XR8.

Do you know of anyone else that has had there XR8 cut-out?
If there is a few cases about, I can then put it to my dealer that they are full of crap, when they tell me I am the only one and it probably doesn't happen at all.

Cheers, Chris

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi. Yes my ba xr8 boss is cutting out at any rev or when ever it wants. No good aye, bloody dangerous. Help needed for this headache please

·
Super Moderator
3,652 Posts
a) Check that the fuel cap one way valve has not failed or is not starting to fail; it's meant to let air in and no fumes or fuel out and if it fails so air cannot get in the pump cannot overcome the resultant vacuum in the tank. Next time it happens, see if taking of the fuel cap allows it to immediately start. Or just try a new fuel cap they are cheap enough; espcially if you notice an inrush of air sometimes when you remove the cap or it happens more often in warm ambient temperatures when fume pressure get applied to the one way valve. b) Check that the fiber mesh fuel pump sock has not come off it the tanks so that the pump pickup is picking something up that blocks the fuel flow until it stall and the pump vacuum stops and it falls off. Try changing the fuel filter first and if a long of small contaminants or dirt particles falls out of the tanks side of the filter it's often a sign that the in-tanks fiberglass mesh filter has failed (they don't seem to like high ethonal fuels) or fallen off. c) The pumps themselves can also be prone to intermittent failure especially if a no name brand aftermarket pump has been fitted.

61 - 73 of 73 Posts