Ford Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My XR8 is nearly 12 mths old and this is the list of problems we have had and are still having.
2hrs after delivery the car cut out and then restarted with no problems this continues to this day and ford cannot fix the problem as we currently have a hand built ECU in the car at the moment and it still stopped.
The car wound down all the windows and unlocked itself overnight.
Lights dim down to parkers when on high beam.
Diff leaks oil
Diff makes clunking noise and grinding sounds going around corners.
2 Throttle bodies replaced.
A/C gas overcharged.
Him module replaced.
The car cut out on the highway at 90kph I rang Ford customer care and was told we had to drive the car 1400klm home to have the dealer look at the car.
I asked about the safety aspect of this and was told it is not a concern of Fords as they will come to that bridge if and when we have an accident in the car.
The dealer has been absolutley fantastic in the handling of this but Ford has been totally shocking in the care and safety of my family.
Does anyone else have the same concerns as we do?

·
Blue Blood
1,375 Posts
FRUSTRATED said:
Does anyone else have the same concerns as we do?
Sorry but it will take a bit more than that to get Ford or anyone to take notice apart from your service center. Make sure that the service manager knows about it (sounds like this is covered), make sure that the dealer principle knows about it and knows you, and make sure the Ford CRC know about it and the next time it goes in for a service.

Its about the only way you will get any relief to get things fixed.

Unfortunately Ford service centers are not known for first time fixes of problems - which is a real shame on the entire "Ford Ownership" experience.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Been there done that talk to CRC every second day now on first name basis with all staff.Have even had a letter hand delivered to the man in charge with no response.

·
Tickford and FPV Bloke
953 Posts
Must agree about the dealers, they are doing alot more then Ford is for customers. My dealer has wasted two days on finding out whether you can have the GHIA turning lamps fitted to a NON-Ghia car. Ford still havent been able to give them an answer, the kit is available, with NO INSTRUCTIONS on wiring, they then offered to sell me the kit for 160 bucks (there cost price) rather then the Ford retail price of $280 if i wanted to have them fitted by an auto electrician.

Fords aftersale service sucks (not including the dealers tho).

·
gone
10,402 Posts
Might also be worthwile to search these forums, some of the things you mention are common.

Also, might be wise to update your profile, tell us what state, and a bit more about the car if you want others to take the time to respond

·
Registered
86 Posts
thats a real shame. Especially after you have forked out for an XR8. I think the car should be replacxed in situations like that where only a couple of hours after delivery major problems are occuring.

·
Pursuit Reincarnation Dog
7,777 Posts
On the cutting out thing, mine did this and the reason was a wiring fault in the start section of the wiring (in your car that's the wiring from the key barrel in the 'start' position). After an intermittent short was fixed car runs fine all the time.

Way to tell if this is happening is if your warning lights blink momentarily during shutdowns.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Sorry to hear that Frustrated. The car buyer is the customer who is the lifeblood of both the dealer and the manufacturer. I had a couple of frustrating problems, different to yours, with my XR6T late in 03 which have been fixed by the local rural dealer. At the time I found the Ford HelpLine to be useful and I also wrote to Ford Aust CEO Geoff Polites to point out that many new BA owners had changed brands from other makes and that they should be expecting a positive customer experience, from the dealers and the manufacturers, with their new car. I must say I was pleasantly surprised to receive a personal letter from him which indicates to me that Ford really does care.Plus my XR6T's all fixed now and running beautifully. My bad customer experience has been reversed- I hope yours can be too.

·
Pursuit Reincarnation Dog
7,777 Posts
Speed:
I have no doubts whatsoever that Ford care. But sometimes it's like banging your head on a brick wall to get things fixed. It takes forever. And in that time the customer stews over it and it becomes worse and worse, resulting in a problem far beyond that originally put forward.

I think having an open mind, LISTENING, and above all honesty goes a long way. If it's a known problem say so and have the dealer fix it. Don't wet the customer's pockets with bladder fluid and expect them to be happy after an hour or so.

The longer something takes to fix, the harder it becomes, the more expensive it becomes.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
speed said:
Sorry to hear that Frustrated. The car buyer is the customer who is the lifeblood of both the dealer and the manufacturer. I had a couple of frustrating problems, different to yours, with my XR6T late in 03 which have been fixed by the local rural dealer. At the time I found the Ford HelpLine to be useful and I also wrote to Ford Aust CEO Geoff Polites to point out that many new BA owners had changed brands from other makes and that they should be expecting a positive customer experience, from the dealers and the manufacturers, with their new car. I must say I was pleasantly surprised to receive a personal letter from him which indicates to me that Ford really does care.Plus my XR6T's all fixed now and running beautifully. My bad customer experience has been reversed- I hope yours can be too.
Would like to get that address to Mr Polites as my letter from 3 months ago did no good and it was hand delivered to the tech manager.Thanks

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Aussie Pete said:
On the cutting out thing, mine did this and the reason was a wiring fault in the start section of the wiring (in your car that's the wiring from the key barrel in the 'start' position). After an intermittent short was fixed car runs fine all the time.

Way to tell if this is happening is if your warning lights blink momentarily during shutdowns.
Thanks for the info ran this past my dealer and was told they tried that where they hooked up led lights to the ignition in one of their tests.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well guys Ford has done it again while my car was in getting more tests on it we were lent the demo XR8. Went to pick my missus and new born baby up and the car filled with smoke from the power window switch great to breathe that stuff for a new born baby.
Still no luck on the fix for ours they keep trying to tell us it is the computer or the purge restrictor we are now waiting on another new ECU from Ford. When it stops it reeks of fuel fume inside and out.
I have found another 4 cars that do the same thing as ours in the town. One is a taxi one is an XR6T one XR6 and another XR8 all are autos.
Starting to think should start to go very public on the fact that it is a big safety issue in their cars and see what happens then.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts