Ford Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

Driving around tonight I noticed my Traction Control light illuminates briefly when taking off "hard" from a standing start and heading around a corner (eg left/right hand turn from the stopped position at a set of traffic lights.

The light does not stay on - it just flashes when hard into the corner and then stops flashing when the car has straightened out.

Is this normal???

I have I have a basic understanding of what Traction Control is all about but I can't understand why the light would come on at that stage (which would indicate the Traction Control System is switched off doesn't it?)

Feedback appreciated

·
Registered
2,784 Posts
i would presume that it is telling you that the traction control is activating

regards
rod

·
More horsepower required
612 Posts
Thats how it should work , and no need to worry. It just activates only when needed , and this is why the light is intermitently flashing. My mates XR8 sedan does the same thing . Turn the thing off , and then you'll see what its like driving a ute.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
demo king said:
Have you read the manual, it tells you about your car.
I have actually - thats why I can't understand it. It reads "The TCS indicator will illuminate for as long as the syatem is switched OFF" . I didn't think I wanted it OFF! But thanks for your input anyway demo king - much appreciated.

Rod & Fordhead - thank you for your more helpful feedback.

·
O.F.R - BIG DADDY C.E.O
571 Posts
To de-activate,enabling wheelspin, the traction control the light must stay lit in your dash display. It will flash on and off when switched off and the car senses wheelspin ,it will then disappear. Basically, push the button if you can see the orange light you can practice your drifting techniques !!

·
My Neck Hurts....
501 Posts
Yes, when activated (default setting when car is started), the light is off, and flashes on when drivetrain intervention is triggered.

When de-activated, the light stays on. It's this that the manual is describing.

I'm not sure what it actually does, but I have vague memories of someone saying that it cuts spark rather than electronically alter the throttle-by-wire butterfly position.

Lukeyson

·
Registered
3,657 Posts
A brief explanation:

The traction control system (ASR) monitors the speed of each wheel using wheel sensors at each wheel. Wheel spin is detected when one of the rear wheels is spinning or accelerating faster than the front or opposite side wheel (by a predetermined amount). When spin or slippage occurs, the ASR module stops wheel spin by, if necessary, momentarily applying the brake of the spinning wheel and signaling the PCM to reduce engine torque to a specific level.
When the PCM receives a torque reduction message from the ASR , it reduces engine
torque by retarding ignition timing, inhibiting injector operation, closing the throttle plate and leaning the air-fuel ratio. The system continues to monitor for wheel slip. When traction is restored, engine torque is returned normal levels.

Cheers
Russ

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks heaps everybody who has replied. I have a much better understanding of how i
it works now - damn technology!

Next thing for me I guess is to drive with the TCS turned off and experience the difference.

·
O.F.R - BIG DADDY C.E.O
571 Posts
Yes Grasshopper , if you can see the light then you shall see the light !

1 - 11 of 11 Posts