Ford Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My new ba xr8 is quite frustrating to drive off idle, the drive by wire system on the ba is a step back in technology if ever there was one, what with the throttle delay,noisey and rattley gearbox and clunkey diff I wonder why I sold my au xr8, this new car is not half the car the au was. Sure my au had a 6 speed, 3.7 diff, two piece tailshaft,unichip,herrod extractors,big exhaust, adjustable suspension.But I expected much better in the new model.The BA has still got a way to go! What do other BA xr8 owners think?

·
gone
10,402 Posts
Owning both the Ts50, ba Xr8 and an ex S2au xr8, 6 speed super charged, I still think the BA is the best feel for the road under presure

The Au is a lighter car, but the BA just makes it a joy to drive from A to B

·
Found On Rubbish Dumps
146 Posts
What 400m and 0-100km/h times did the AU do? In 185,200 & 220 kw forms?

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
didnt you test drive the BA XR8 first? Would of given you a good idea first if the BA is worth it.

·
Registered
189 Posts
6speedxr8 said:
Sure my au had a 6 speed, 3.7 diff, two piece tailshaft,unichip,herrod extractors,big exhaust, adjustable suspension.
So,what did your AU drive like before this?? Drive by Wire technology has been around in F1 since the late 80's.It's also been on European manufactured vehicle since the mid 90's. It's good to see that Ford are finally using unproven technology eh.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Re: Re: BA xr8 versus AU xr8

FordTech65 said:
It's good to see that Ford are finally using unproven technology eh.
That is not the issue. We all know the reasons for drive by wire, reliability has not been bought into issue (yet). It may be the most cost effective, economical, neatest and most reliable method of throttle control, it just drives like a POS. That is the issue. People who haven't driven an AU V8 manual and a BA XR8 manual need not reply, as they will not have experienced the problem first hand.

·
Australian Ford Member
1,442 Posts
The AU Series I in Auto would take off faster than the BA to say 40k/h. Good torque downlow to fry any set of tyres less than 255*40. However, it used to "stole" specially if the idle wasn't high enough. This problem was not fixed and Ford dealers tried changing many things but it stayed this way.

The new BA has instant response( auto as well) off the line when you floor it. Little surprsing that the engine stays longer than usual when you let go the accelerator in N, but hey, floor it in drive and it's flying with no lags.

I like it:)

Have your car checked if you think you have something wrong with it.

·
Movin!
2,924 Posts
I'll admit it took me a couple of days to get used to the off the line acceleration in the XR8, although i came from a rodeo and drive a 6 tonne truck for work which are easy off the line.

I think it's just a combination of the new drive by wire (which is fantastic) and the nature of the DOHC which takes a while revving back down and for some takes some getting used to.

Also having a loose gravel driveway and not wanting to tear it up taking off without wheelspin takes a while to master! :hy:

·
Registered
189 Posts
6speedxr8 said:
My new ba xr8 is quite frustrating to drive off idle, the drive by wire system on the ba is a step back in technology if ever there was one
Looks pretty much like a problem with the new technology to me!!

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
You can make something new as flash or technically detailed as you like, if it doesn't perform its PRIMARY function as well as the old system, then there is an issue. Your original post implied a reliability issue. (unproven Tech.) The issue is at light throttle application, in a manual. Drive one and see. I don't believe F1 see much of this.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Go and see Robbie Herrod again and get one of his extractor kits and a uni chip in it. Then see it GO :) I believe the Unichip removes the lag down low & lack of instand throttle responce you are talking about. - Cam

·
Registered
189 Posts
WBT56 said:
Your original post implied a reliability issue. (unproven Tech.) The issue is at light throttle application, in a manual. Drive one and see.
I guess some people dont recognise sarcasm when they see it. I was'nt implying anything.I suppose it all comes down to how you interpret the information in front of you. I merely meant that it is proven technology,it's just a matter of getting used to something different.As for the comment about those who havent driven one need not reply, well I'm actually priviledged enough to have driven quite a few,and i do so every day.Funnilly enough i havent had any trouble.But then maybe i'm used to them.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Sarcasm was duly noted and ignored. Notice how when you ask a technical question everyone's an expert or a smart ass, with no in between? People complain about shuddering brakes, perhaps they should just get used to them? Or tyre wear on commodore IRS? Or broken BA cup holders? At the end of the day, the point is the new thing is not as good as the old thing, so that is a problem. It may only be a programming problem, as the XR6T's I've driven don't do it, but it is still there.

·
Registered
3,657 Posts
Having now driven a number of examples of auto BA Boss engined vehicles I would have to say that there is a clear hesitation just off idle. As far as I can tell it has absolutely nothing to do with the DBW throttle but rather the PCM calibration as it feels very much like a flat spot.
A similar hesitation can be felt on upshifts when the throttle is more than 3/4 open and also on SSS upshifts with similar throttle openings. When combined with the relatively cammy nature of the engine it simply means that is isn't the smoothest thing around to drive. In that sense the AU XR and T-Series cars left it for dead.

All of this leads me to look at the specs for the revised BTR auto and after a close scrutiny I suspect that these flat spots are actually deliberate mapping to avoid large doses of torque reaching what is undoubtedly a marginal transmission. Should have guessed enough and if I am correct then there isn't much use tuning it out via a Unichip because it will undoubtedly result in expensive transmission repairs. I've already seen a couple fo in-service failures of this box and from units that haven't exactly been punted hard. No doubt the next software flash upgrade for the box will furthewr soften the torque impact and exacerbate the driveability issue further still.

Sad really but that's the reality of time and budget constraints.

Cheers
Russ

Looking at the relatively minor upgrades

·
708 Posts
I posted a thread a couple of weeks ago about this very subject and i think you replied to it as well russell. The thread was based on imformation that was given to me by a service manager which basically suggested what russell has confirmed in his previous post which had me concerned about the auto behide the boss engines.

After a few replies from board members my mind had been put at ease about durability issues and this transmission. Guess it's time to be little concerned again when i hand over 50 big ones for an auto version of the boss.

·
In a blue Galaxy
5,716 Posts
If you are correct in presumptions RussellW, and based on the Australian auto manufacturers trends of manual gearboxes you probably are, then we have probably have a weak auto tranny. I know it's expensive, and I know I've noted before that Ford are under no obligation to use a transmission/gearbox that be can handle more than thier factory outputs, but it would be great to see a TOUGH, and WELL SHIFTING Manual/Auto in the falcon range. Holdens T56 6 speed is a clunky chunky box, but id swap smooth shifting cogs for a bit more inteneral durability any day of the week.

·
More horsepower required
612 Posts
The only lag I feel is when I drop the clutch ,the wheels seem to spin for some unknown reason .
Did you or are you giving the thing 1500km to wear in ?
If so , it might think Grandma is driving it , so the PCM goes into Sunday bowls day mode. :s5

Seriously though mate , I haven't found this to be a problem at all , but mine is manual . My old mans AU seems alright , but then again , anything feels like a slug after driving the ute.

p.s Lag is something I only associate with dialup users :hy:

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
well its been a week since i brought up the subject relating to the throttle response in the BA XR8 MANUAL and the gearbox and diff issues, i dont know if i expect too much but i have always believed that a new model should be as good if not better than the previous model, so i took the xr for a brisk run to brisbane and back on saturday,through the centennary highway to Kallangur in stop start traffic and then back home on the motorway,quite a good run and enjoyable i must say But the fact remains the xr 5 speed manual is not happy in traffic and i can put up with that because it loves the open road.I spoke to the right people last week and asked if the throttle delay can be changed to give instant response but apparently it was set up that way to protect the driveline.I would really like to know if other owners of the XR8 MANUAL who have previously owned a AU XR8 MANUAL have the same issues with their new car.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts