Ford Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

I bought a BA Falcon from Strapp Ford in Burwood in Oct last year and these are the following problems Ive had with it:
Brake shudder (had it looked at three times (twice they have done something about, third time they're telling me its my imagination)

Steering wheel vibration (had this looked at 3 times aswell, twice they charged me for a wheel balance, third time they blamed the new exhaust that was put on - the car vibrates even when rolling in neutral...)

Rough idle on cold starts (had to tell them twice about this problem before they did anything about it)

Window washer jets (had to have it looked at three times, eventually fixed but the operation lever next to steering broke and they are refusing to fix that, instead wanting $300 for a piece of plastic)

Power window problems (fixed but, didnt put the door trim back on properly, had to go back to get that fixed)

Plastic backing on drivers seat came off (took a week to order the part in)

Diff noise (1st fobbed it off as not a problem, and eventually fixed the problem)

paint scraped under front and rear bumper on delivery (fixed only after kicking up a fuss, response was: what do you want us to do about it?)

Dash cracking sound (1st said creaking dash is not covered under warranty, had to contact other dealers, and found a dealer in SA that had a fix to the problem)

Oil Consumption (havent given me a good reason why the car went through 3 litres of oil in 10,000km)

Steering wheel clicks (clock screw had to be replaced - which led to air entering the power fluid and making the steering vibrate even more)

I have been really disppointed with the problems with this car, and everytime i take it back they manage to charge me with something, wheel balance, courtsey car, etc and costing me time when I should be at work.

It also annoys me how the service manager, Jarret Inness, has been quick to dismiss the problems as not being problems, or part of the normal operation of the car. (He tried to tell me today that if the window wiper lever had broken in the 1st few thousand km's it could be replaced but not after 30,000km) - implying that its only meant to last 30000km?

Their response was to contact Ford if Im not happy. The experience has put me off buying a Ford ever again.

·
Tickford and FPV Bloke
953 Posts
Hahahahha not another thread, i started on some time ago and got an ear bashing over it, the fact is the product just isn't up to standard at all, and its not just a few cars, nearly everycar is effected in one way or another. Just to note my AU II Falcon and AU III never had any issues regarding fit and finish or brakes. The biggest problem i had with the AUIII was the electric windows, as for the AU II the only problem was a gromet under the accelerator.

As for the AU I i had, the only problem i had with it in 65 000 kms was a miss in the motor on a hot day, which was fixed after a while, otherwise nothing else went wrong except the exhaust rusted out.

Im willing to buy another BA, but i want proof that the brakes no longer get a shudder in them or need machining.

·
THE PHANTOM
251 Posts
If your alternative is to buy a holden, be prepared for the same sort of teatment. I know of a guy who bought his 4th Clubsport. When he didn't get satisfactory results and threatened not to buy another, the salesman said he didn't care, because they always sold the number that were manufactured. So for every customer they may loose, there is another stepping up to buy.
I have felt just as you do now, but after hearing other horror stories, I figured its just going to be the same somewhere else. For those of us who have had or are having problems there are a lot of very satisfied customers, and they praise the dealerships that we've had trouble with, sometimes you think there must be another dealership with the same name, because it can't be the one that you've had a bad run with.
If they get what they want out of you (money) and you want very little in return they are your best friend. Ask for a fair deal ( our fair not theirs) and they change. But mind you, some of those dealerships or branches do try harder than others, but the friendship is still limited by what you expect and what they believe is enough.

·
RACE
2,950 Posts
How about a thread with some good news!?

I have had two BA's. An XT 6cyl build date 9/02 I drove until it had 26000km, the only issue was a slight shudder when braking from freeway speeds which dissapeared eventually. Otherwise not a single problem.

My current ride is an XT V8 build date 1/03 and no issues so far with 5800km on the clock.

·
Blue Blood
1,375 Posts
biggiemomo said:
Their response was to contact Ford if Im not happy. The experience has put me off buying a Ford ever again.
No, your next point of contact is the dealer principle with Ford CRC. If the service manager isn't being appropriate in their work, then calm your nerves and speak straight to the dealer principle. Then once that has happened call Ford CRC and ask to lodge an official complaint against the service department.

Write down on a list the things you need fixed and your expectations on quality of workmanship and get the service dealer and yourself to come to an agreeance as to what is required. Failing that find another service center, you don't need to get the car serviced where you bought it. It doesn't make any difference to the resale.

Personally my last good experience was with Strapp Ford Kew, they fixed 90% of my problems I had (the last one the car ended up at Ford Motor Company being tested and fixed by their engineers) and I am quite content with their service.

Some people like New Oak Ford - GTP200 and GTP320 do.

My Team Leader at work drives an XR6T sedan and he loves Etheridge Ford Service (also happens to be where he bought his car).

So my advice is:
Write a list of what the defects are and ask to have them fixed - as non-negotiable items.

Be prepared to comprise on how long it takes to have some of these sorted (Strapp Ford Kew had my car for 7 days - I was in Sydney that week so that was handy).

If you really need a car - ask the Dealer Principle for the Service Managers car while yours gets fixed. You may not end up with it, but you might end up with a free focus or something for the few days (if this happens treat the car with respect and return it with a full tank of gas and clean, inside and out).

Make it known that you want these problems resolved before you will take ownership of the car - a drive around the block should be enough to convince you for handback.

Call Ford CRC and lodge a complaint about re-occuring problems, make sure your dates and times are documented as well as written proof that the same thing has been attempted to be fixed.

Failing that go to another service center - tell your sob story walking. Try and become friends with the service manager their by saying that you are only after something "that is on your side" when it comes to these things. Show that you are passionate about the car and you really do love it - its just hard to be a real fan with those experiences. They will come around. If not - keep walking and keep talking.

* Now in regards to your problems i'll address some:
* Steering wheel clicks - known issue, a fix is available and it works
* Power Steering Groan - known issue and a fix is available and it works (also try a few more PSI in your tires)
* Diff Noise - that has been fixed? good.
* Dash cracking sound - known problem, not sure if there is a valid fix (supplied by Ford Motor Company that is)
* Steering wheel vibration (wheel balances and exhaust?) - new exhaust? Is this a Ford Factory one? you don't mention if it is or if its after-market. Wheel balances you really shouldn't have to pay for in the first 5 - 10k.
* Oil Consumption - Engine wear-in period thats acceptable. If after 15k you are still drinking at that rate, then its a concern.
* Power window problems - fixed, good. Trim issues? thats just sloppy.
* Window washer jets - fixed, good. How'd you manage to brake that thing? its pretty solid!

Sounds like pretty minor issues imho. Most of them are fixed by recalls already in place.

·
Registered
458 Posts
ianmcginley said:
No, your next point of contact is the dealer principle with Ford CRC. If the service manager isn't being appropriate in their work, then calm your nerves and speak straight to the dealer principle. Then once that has happened call Ford CRC and ask to lodge an official complaint against the service department.

Write down on a list the things you need fixed and your expectations on quality of workmanship and get the service dealer and yourself to come to an agreeance as to what is required. Failing that find another service center, you don't need to get the car serviced where you bought it. It doesn't make any difference to the resale.

Personally my last good experience was with Strapp Ford Kew, they fixed 90% of my problems I had (the last one the car ended up at Ford Motor Company being tested and fixed by their engineers) and I am quite content with their service.

Some people like New Oak Ford - GTP200 and GTP320 do.

My Team Leader at work drives an XR6T sedan and he loves Etheridge Ford Service (also happens to be where he bought his car).

So my advice is:
Write a list of what the defects are and ask to have them fixed - as non-negotiable items.

Be prepared to comprise on how long it takes to have some of these sorted (Strapp Ford Kew had my car for 7 days - I was in Sydney that week so that was handy).

If you really need a car - ask the Dealer Principle for the Service Managers car while yours gets fixed. You may not end up with it, but you might end up with a free focus or something for the few days (if this happens treat the car with respect and return it with a full tank of gas and clean, inside and out).

Make it known that you want these problems resolved before you will take ownership of the car - a drive around the block should be enough to convince you for handback.

Call Ford CRC and lodge a complaint about re-occuring problems, make sure your dates and times are documented as well as written proof that the same thing has been attempted to be fixed.

Failing that go to another service center - tell your sob story walking. Try and become friends with the service manager their by saying that you are only after something "that is on your side" when it comes to these things. Show that you are passionate about the car and you really do love it - its just hard to be a real fan with those experiences. They will come around. If not - keep walking and keep talking.

* Now in regards to your problems i'll address some:
* Steering wheel clicks - known issue, a fix is available and it works
* Power Steering Groan - known issue and a fix is available and it works (also try a few more PSI in your tires)
* Diff Noise - that has been fixed? good.
* Dash cracking sound - known problem, not sure if there is a valid fix (supplied by Ford Motor Company that is)
* Steering wheel vibration (wheel balances and exhaust?) - new exhaust? Is this a Ford Factory one? you don't mention if it is or if its after-market. Wheel balances you really shouldn't have to pay for in the first 5 - 10k.
* Oil Consumption - Engine wear-in period thats acceptable. If after 15k you are still drinking at that rate, then its a concern.
* Power window problems - fixed, good. Trim issues? thats just sloppy.
* Window washer jets - fixed, good. How'd you manage to brake that thing? its pretty solid!

Sounds like pretty minor issues imho. Most of them are fixed by recalls already in place.
But why the hell should he have to go through all this hassle, whats so hard about fixing the damn car (and admitting theres a problem) properly the first time. Whats with all this denial.

Minor problems maybe, but its more than a minor pain in the ass when your car is in the garage & not on the road.

·
Tickford and FPV Bloke
953 Posts
Fireman Sam said:
But why the hell should he have to go through all this hassle, whats so hard about fixing the damn car (and admitting theres a problem) properly the first time. Whats with all this denial.

Minor problems maybe, but its more than a minor pain in the ass when your car is in the garage & not on the road.

He shouldnt, thats the whole idea of buying brand new cars rather then second hand ones.

As for me ill just keep buying Fords and putting up, I love the brand and the looks, but its and up hill battle sometimes.

·
gone
10,402 Posts
biggiemomo said:
Hi

I bought a BA Falcon from Strapp Ford in Burwood in Oct last year and these are the following problems Ive had with it:
Brake shudder (had it looked at three times (twice they have done something about, third time they're telling me its my imagination) ................................

All I gotto say in response after working in the customer service industry is there is always 2 sides to the story.

Sometimes the customer is the problem!

Be good to have response here from Strapp as youve opened the discussion and laid your cards out on the table, and knowing how far Strapps goes to help it customers it just doesnt click right!

·
Ford Appreciation Society
3,666 Posts
RATT said:
How about a thread with some good news!?

I have had two BA's. An XT 6cyl build date 9/02 I drove until it had 26000km, the only issue was a slight shudder when braking from freeway speeds which dissapeared eventually. Otherwise not a single problem.

My current ride is an XT V8 build date 1/03 and no issues so far with 5800km on the clock.
I hear more good news than bad news about the BA falcon. Would I buy one if I was in the market?? - Yes.

·
Movin!
2,924 Posts
laminge said:
All I gotto say in response after working in the customer service industry is there is always 2 sides to the story.

Sometimes the customer is the problem!

Be good to have response here from Strapp as youve opened the discussion and laid your cards out on the table, and knowing how far Strapps goes to help it customers it just doesnt click right!
I agree Minge, i got my car from Strapps, the service in both sales, service and repairs has been second to none. I also know Jarret knows his stuff and the work there has always been very thorough, which is why you havent heard any complaints about them till now. I had brake shudder and and it was fixed promptly and properly, no problems now at all.

I'll let Russ expand on my comments as he's been buying cars off them and getting them servioced for years, we all know how picky russ is! :priest:

·
Registered
3,657 Posts
After a long talk with Jarrett and reviewing each of these issues in detail I am going to respond at some length.

biggiemomo said:
Hi

Let us at least get the basic facts right. The car was an ex demonstrator with 19,604 harsh kms on the clock.

Brake shudder (had it looked at three times (twice they have done something about, third time they're telling me its my imagination)
As has been documented elsewhere the BA brake shudder issue has had 3 different attempts by Ford to fix it - all of which have been performed on this car. The initial attempt involved the fitment of a plastic shim, the second on car machining and phasing of the rotor/hub asembly and finally the fitment of a metal shim. At your last visit the brakes were again stripped down and the rotor measured for lateral run-out which was found to be 0.034 - well within the acceptable tolerance of 0.10. You were NOT charged for any of that work.

Steering wheel vibration (had this looked at 3 times aswell, twice they charged me for a wheel balance, third time they blamed the new exhaust that was put on - the car vibrates even when rolling in neutral...)
By your own admission the vehicle vibrates when in neutral which rules out driveline issues and as you have been told points clearly to the tyres or the 3.5" exhaust you have fitted. You were only charged for the second of the wheel balances by the way.

Rough idle on cold starts (had to tell them twice about this problem before they did anything about it)
This item weas overlooked at the first mention and remedied at the second.

Window washer jets (had to have it looked at three times, eventually fixed but the operation lever next to steering broke and they are refusing to fix that, instead wanting $300 for a piece of plastic)
Like most components, any that are going to fail through manufacturing defect rather than abuse have a time frame for failure which Ford warranty consider acceptable and this is well beyond that. You have been offered the parts at trade pricing and with no labour charge.

Power window problems (fixed but, didnt put the door trim back on properly, had to go back to get that fixed)
One of the little plastic caps that covers a screw had fallen off and this counts as not fitting it properly??

Plastic backing on drivers seat came off (took a week to order the part in)
This is a Ford issue as it is their responsibility to carry sufficient parts to support the dealer network.

Diff noise (1st fobbed it off as not a problem, and eventually fixed the problem)
The issue was fixed after discussions with the Ford tech hotline.

paint scraped under front and rear bumper on delivery (fixed only after kicking up a fuss, response was: what do you want us to do about it?)
One of the joys of buying a cheap, 20,000 km old demo, is that you take it with any minor blemishes that it might have - it is one of the reasons for the substantial discount offered. Your implication that these were present on a new car do not do you any credit. Indeed it is only due to the customer oriented focus of this dealership that it was remedied.

Dash cracking sound (1st said creaking dash is not covered under warranty, had to contact other dealers, and found a dealer in SA that had a fix to the problem)
This fix had not been documented by the SA dealer concerned even though there is an internal system to allow sharing of this data.

Steering wheel clicks (clock screw had to be replaced - which led to air entering the power fluid and making the steering vibrate even more)
The clock spring was replaced to resolve a clicking noise identified by the service technicians. The aeration of the power steering systems is a known issue and Ford are looking to find a fix for it. As it is a self purging system the cavitation of the fluid does go away in time but this is not an optimal long term fix.

I have been really disppointed with the problems with this car, and everytime i take it back they manage to charge me with something, wheel balance, courtsey car, etc and costing me time when I should be at work.
I believe you have only been charged on the most recent occasion for a courtesy car and my advice is that the service people have made every effort to fit in with your schedule to accomodate you.

It also annoys me how the service manager, Jarret Inness, has been quick to dismiss the problems as not being problems, or part of the normal operation of the car. (He tried to tell me today that if the window wiper lever had broken in the 1st few thousand km's it could be replaced but not after 30,000km) - implying that its only meant to last 30000km?
Let me say that from my own experience (and that of many others here) this is one of the few service centres where you get a straight answer to a sensible question. Jarrett is one of the best service managers I have ever met in nearly 3 decades of dealing with them and I do not believe for one moment that you are telling the full story here as indicated in some of my responses above. Nor should you expect that a wiper arm is going to fail as a result of manufacturing defect after this long and I think you have received the appropriate response on that issue.

I am more than happy to see criticism aimed at underperforming dealers and poor build quality on the part of Ford when it is justified but on this occasion I do not believe that the criticism of the dealer is justified. Undoubtedly there are unhappy Strapp Burwood customers; I've witnessed a couple of them first hand and can say that Jarrett has always made every effort within his power to remedy the situation. It's one of the reasons why they were service dealer of the year for 4 of the last 5 years. The apparently misleading statements made in your initial post can only lead me to assume that you subscribe to the theory that facts shouldn't stand in the way of a good story.

Russ

·
Ford Appreciation Society
3,666 Posts
Now that is one detailed response - Nice one Russ!!

·
gone
10,402 Posts
Thanks Russ

My post, and yours Russ, only goes to show that some people hide behind a user name and a forum to post altered information.

·
.au member
2,747 Posts
this is a good post with some points to remember about buying a new car, as well as what laminge said - two sides to every story.

But for Gods sake, do you people have to quote the post that is above yours?! It is damn annoying and because the posts are long it takes ages to work out which bit to read! :fraz:

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks for your post russell. Let me just respond to your post as I am in a better frame of mind today (yesterday I posted after taking the car back for the 5th time for warranty repairs and being told a plastic wiper arm would cost $300 to replace)

The car was an ex demonstrator with 19,604 harsh kms on the clock.
I guess Im being naive, but I wouldn't have bought the car if I knew about the harsh part.

By your own admission the vehicle vibrates when in neutral
The car does not vibrate in neutral, I have never said that. I suspect it may be warped wheels or tyres, but I wish the service centre could tell me that instead of telling me the balance would fix it, which means I had to bring it back. I will buy a new set of wheels to see if it fixes the problem, as I am really sick of it. The 2.5 cat back exhaust was fitted by Herrods and after getting them to check it, it is definately not the exhaust causing the problem.

This item weas overlooked at the first mention and remedied at the second.
Turning up at closing time and then finding out that something was overlooked and you had to bring it back again....Can you see why that would be frustrating?

One of the little plastic caps that covers a screw had fallen off and this counts as not fitting it properly??
Only a little thing, I know, but by this stage it was all beginning to add up, and I couldnt get the caps back on so I had to bring it in.

Like most components, any that are going to fail through manufacturing defect rather than abuse have a time frame for failure which Ford warranty consider acceptable and this is well beyond that
Lever arm broke through normal pressure being applied, I wouldnt call it abuse. I guess your hands are tied on this matter, I have contacted Ford, but I wont be expecting much.

You have been offered the parts at trade pricing and with no labour charge.
Thanks for the offer, but $300 for a plastic wiper arm is ridiculous - again I know its out of your control.

One of the joys of buying a cheap, 20,000 km old demo, is that you take it with any minor blemishes that it might have
Again maybe Im naive for not checking every inch of the car before I bought it, but its quite a shock when you notice something like that after you have taken delivery of the car.

Your implication that these were present on a new car do not do you any credit.
Perhaps I didn't make myself clear, but I reread my post and nowhere did I say it was a new car

This fix had not been documented by the SA dealer concerned even though there is an internal system to allow sharing of this data.
Can you see how it was frustrating that the customer had to point out to the service centre to go and look for this fix after doing their own research and being told by the service manager that its not covered under warranty?

aeration of the power steering systems is a known issue and Ford are looking to find a fix for it
after the work on the car I wasn't told to expect that, so I did not know it was a known issue and neither was I told that it would eventually disappear after ringing up about the issue.

I believe you have only been charged on the most recent occasion for a courtesy car
Ive actually been charged for 3 out of 4 courtsey cars, focus, orange XR6, white falcon, receiving a yellow falcon as complimentary. - I would expect to pay for courtesy cars but it was getting expensive paying for a car week after week just to get the same problems looked at.

Most of my anger should have been directed at the poor quality control at Ford but as the service centre is the place customers have to go to get their problems fixed it seemed that the service centre was the source of my frustrations.

·
Just Learning
41 Posts
What are you requested to pay for a loan car?
Is it the same as a rental car?
Per Klm?
Do you pay for the petrol you use?
Is there an insurance component?
Is there an age restriction?

1 - 20 of 36 Posts