Ford Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Bronco Member
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks,

can somebody give me some hints? My old bronco always starts but as long as the motor is cold it stops working if I touch the gas. So where to look first??

Thanks

·
Bronco Ranger XLT Member
31 Posts
German, I assume you have a carb on yours. If so, try adjusting the automatic choke first. Turn the black plastic choke cover to align the marks; one is on the cover, the other is on the housing. This is a starting point, you can fine tune from there. Also make sure the choke linkage is free and lubricated. Make sure the choke plate moves as you move the choke cover. If it does not, the bi-metal choke spring may be broken, out of place, or sticking.

The second thing to do would be to make sure the idle mixture screws are adjusted properly. To do this, turn them both in until they bottom (counting the turns for reference). Then turn them back out until you get the fastest idle, about 2 and 1/2 ..........3 and 1/2 turns. The best way to do this is with a vacuum gauge. You just turn them out until you get the highest manifold vacuum.

Hope some of this helps.

·
Bronco Member
40 Posts
I agree with LoneRanger. It seems that your truck has a problem in the carb, and possibly in the carb emmission system. The truck runs because the choke is holding the carb plates open during idle, but once you press on the accelerator you trip the choke mechanism which lowers the idle too much for conditions. I can't see the engine, but at least have it checked out for loose, missing, cracked vacuum hoses also. If all of your emmission parts are in good order the solution to your problem could be just a simple adjustment; or may be a replacement of the choke, and linkage assembly.:cool:

·
Bronco Member
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
@ Lone Ranger and JuanPolk,

Ya have carb on my Bronco. Thank you very much for your tips. They sound very good. I´ll have a try.

·
Bronco Member
40 Posts
Hello German:
I wish you well with your problem. I wonder would you mind answering a question concerning your unit. Is a full size Bronco popular in Germany?. I had never seen one of these unit used overseas (with respect to the US). Are there sources of parts similiar to BGW, and Audi in the US?. Have you ever posted pictures of your unit on-line. It would be interesting to see a Bronco with a right side steering wheel, e.t.c
Well good luck whith your unit.
God Bless
JBP 10/23/2001

·
Bronco Member
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi JuonPolk,

my Bronco waits for me in Canada. I use to drive him on my vacation.

Here in Germany you will hardly find any Broncos. You couldn´t pay the gas. If I calculate....the Liter gas costs about 87 cents here.

But by the way. We don´t have the steering on the rigt side. Only the britains do that (and where their arm reaches: Ireland,.....).

Do you know the reason why you sit on the left side and ride on the right side of the road?

It´s because in former times Napoleon told the people to do so after he won a battle in which he send all his left handed warriors against the surprised enemy.

Greetings fromn Germany

1 - 6 of 6 Posts