Ford Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy, I’m inquiring about our 2001 towncar. I’ve posted in a few forums for my car with not much luck. So Recently me and my son were working on the upper and lower ball joint on the driver side. After finishing up the lower ball joint with a press and guiding the jack up into place to put the upper in the knuckle. My son put the square headed pinch bolt in and began hammering. It’s on me for not checking to make sure it was correct before he used his mallet to Wack it in. The problem is the ball joint wasn’t fully within the knuckle and the pinch bolt is now pressed against the wide part of the upper. The bolt seams unmovable and the threads are crushed on the side facing out. I’m looking for any suggestions people are willing to give. Best plan I have now is taking the ball joint press and driving it farther down so the bolt can be removed. Just worried about the press slipping and causing damage.
Thanks so much
Mr.G
Bicycle part Camera accessory Auto part Font Circle

·
Super Moderator
1,827 Posts
Oh I see what you’re saying now. If the ball joint itself is ok I’d get a new cross bolt and reseat the ball joint. That thing probably won’t come out without a fight.

·
Super Moderator
23,844 Posts
You could clean all grease away , try and protect the rubber boot and then get a torch to heat stub . Then hit with a heavy hammer , or better still , an impact gun

·
Super Moderator
2,130 Posts
The press idea is all that's left if Logan's plan fails. It goes without saying that ball joints are critical. I would not reuse any component that is damaged. BTW, I like to see dads taking the time to work with their sons, but I too have learned that it is a steep learning curve for our sons and a patience builder for dad. Best of luck.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts