Ford Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
need a few peoples views on the Barry Grant Mighty Demon 750 d/p. I'm thinking of replacing the old 800 d/p with something a bit fresher. Whos used them and are there any issues with them, Thanks.

·
CORCHA
7 Posts
G'day mate . I run a 750 Race Demon and they are a pretty good out of the box carb. Need a few tweeks hear and there but still good to start with. I have a mate running a 650 Mighty Demon on a 308 cub holden with a 100 shot on it and he is running 10.3's on the 1/4 in a 3000 pound car and his is out of the box !!! That should say enough !!! :hy:

·
Registered
343 Posts
I run a BG 750 DP, not touched and runs great.... :hy:

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
Yep, i've used Barry Grant carbies for the last 6 years and all good. I got rid of the 850DP, for a Mighty Demon 750 nearly 2 years ago.

·
All crossed up
45 Posts
I had an 850 DP on my 351 Windsor. Have now got 750 Mighty Demon, revs out clearer and has heaps better bottom end.

·
The Deputy Dogg.
1,862 Posts
More adjustments, can get sleeves to make them larger instead of buying a bigger carb.

·
The Deputy Dogg.
1,862 Posts
4vxc said:
sleeves to make them larger?
Yes, as in say the 750 works, then you change to a bigger cam that requires more cfm you can turn the carb into a 850 for example, save buying a different carb every time you change something, i'm on my 4th now.

·
82XE 351c
628 Posts
i'll give a vote for BG. I am running a 650DP and it works about 50x better than the rebuilt holley 650DP i was using. Steve from RDP also had a good look over the BG, cleaned it all down.... was fairly happy with mine, but did say that they have gotten a little inconsistent with their quailty and some can be poor in quailty. Was mainly checking metering plates and circuits, i figure, because thats what he wasn't totally happy about...
ofcourse he does sell PC Carbs, not BG.

·
Registered
2,398 Posts
It's the Race Demon and King Demon models that have the "removeable sleeves" allowing you to easily change carby sizes. The part name will have an RS at the end of it. ie: Race Demon RS.

They're both around US$1000-1150...ouch. Could always buy 2 holleys :hy:

Jegs website has a good break down of info and prices if anyone's interested.

http://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/stor...goryId=10271&parentCategoryId=10267&langId=-1

·
V8 man
73 Posts
pracy said:
i'll give a vote for BG. I am running a 650DP and it works about 50x better than the rebuilt holley 650DP i was using. Steve from RDP also had a good look over the BG, cleaned it all down.... was fairly happy with mine, but did say that they have gotten a little inconsistent with their quailty and some can be poor in quailty. Was mainly checking metering plates and circuits, i figure, because thats what he wasn't totally happy about...
ofcourse he does sell PC Carbs, not BG.
Yeah its not all good...I had a brand new 750 vac sec speed demon not long ago and was told it was going to do this and that,Turned out to be the biggest pile-o-shit ever!Spent 3 hours on a dyno,wouldnt tune,fuel curve like a mad woman shitting-rich down low and then went lean up high tried every trick in the book and ended up going back to 100,000mile 600Dp holley that trounced it by 15kw!I personally know of an another guy with a 500 horsepower 308 Holden that purchased a 800Dp Race Demon and had similar problems and sold it as well...So it all aint beer and skittles!My tip?Buy a brasswell,hard to find but Highly respected by Most carb gurus... :priest:

·
Registered
2,398 Posts
cordy1 said:
The race demon is an Alcohol carb !!
Not quite. There are versions of the Race Demon that are set up for Alcohol, but the majority are standard mad max "gasoline".

·
Registered
661 Posts
I have heard that quality control is an issue with these carbs as well.Some seem to be ok but others are shite. Holley HP carbs are reputed to be very good and you don,t seem to get variances in quality like the BG stuff.

·
!Real Men Smoke Rubber!
77 Posts
Yes i have had barry grant carbies and the hp series ultra is 21 hp better than the race demon. My money is on the ultra hp series but at $1300 a pop they are dear. But i guess you get what you pay for. I think barry grant is nice and pretty but that dont make your car go.

·
V8 man
73 Posts
russxr67 said:
I have heard that quality control is an issue with these carbs as well.Some seem to be ok but others are shite. Holley HP carbs are reputed to be very good and you don,t seem to get variances in quality like the BG stuff.
Yeah you can only speak at how you find...I've got no doubt there are plenty of good BG's out there,but they are the two experiences I've had with them...
Beautiful looking carbs though!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts