Ford Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
97 Probe SE
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all! I have a 1997 Probe base, and I was wondering just how much work I have to do on it until I could actually call it a "SE"?

So far, here is what's up.....

1997 Base Probe w/black interior, custom Cherry Bomb exhaust w/racing muffler and convertor, "Probe" windeshield Decal, and Dual White Racing Stripes w/matching pin stripe. Although the pic doesn't show the pin stripe, it was just recently but on.

Just wondering what all of you peeps think about this, and also, what are some other mods I could do on my base?

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
Well, I was (still kind of am) in your situation. I had a white 93 base. I replaced the front bumper with a GT bumper. I replaced the 93 tail lights with 97's (like how they look much more), still need to add rims. I installed a cup holder/arm rest to the center console. I swapped out the antenna for a more appealing one in my opinion. I have some of the side skirt/door cap for the doors. Id like to find the 3 other parts needed and add those as well. I know I dont have a base any longer, but still in transition.

·
Probe Member
37 Posts
Having a 97 makes it a lot easier. The only thing that differentiated most base Probes from SE's was the GT front bumber and the tri-star rims. Since all 97's came standard with the GT bumber they are essentially SE's anyway. The tri-star rims were optional, but I guess any rims would work since a lot of people like to upgrade anyway.

Sounds to me like you can refer to it as an SE!

I've always called mine an SE since its the bumper that makes the biggest visual difference. I don't care for the look of the 93=96 base front bumper, and didn't want people to think that was the style that was on my car. I have the tri-star rims and factory wing on it anyways.

I've also added a Probe 16V emblem to the back of mine (like the 24V thats on GT's). Its the same size and font as the Probe emblem and is on Eurospec Probes. I like its looks better than the stick on SE decals since its an actual chrome emblem. Its also an actual Probe part, so its not like putting a VTEC sticker on a car without VTEC.

·
97 Probe SE
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanx alot! I really was starting to wonder about my '97 probe. Yea, I have attached a link to my picture of it so that you all can see what I am dealing with.

Hey Fformula88,

I have a few questions for you. First of all, do you mena that you have the factory GT fog lights? If so, I would REALLY appriciate it if you could tell me where to order some from! (The brackets and the lights) I really like their look, but I have not even the slightest of clue as to where to start looking for them! Oh, and did you somehow wire them up to one of the buttons by the defrost button (like in a GT), or did you run the controls elsewhere?

Also, where did you get/find that 16V symbol at? I have been looking for something authentic like that, but once again, I have no idea where to look! My final question is simply this: Is it possible to buy the "SE" stickers that go on the back and side of the door panels? ---and if so, where from?

Thanx for the response everyone, and I sure hope you all can help me out with this!

The URL is:
http://www.fordforums.com/discussions/attachment.php?s=&postid=71724

·
Probe SE Member
7 Posts
To get a factory look fog light, capable of handling twice as much power. Go to your local autozone and find the Pilot 1055c. I just installed them a week or so ago, and using Pilot's 110watt H3 halogen bulb they are really nice and bright with a great beam.

Here is a link http://www.accessconnect.com/pilot2.htm

For the SE stickers I know someone that makes them, but I can't get the link till Probetalk comes back alive.

For the 16V decal you would need to go to the dealership. These came on the EuroSpec 2.0s. I would get you the part# but as I said no Pobetalk :(

Good luck.

Here is a pic of my 93 SE just for fun :D

·
P·OBase #2 Owner!
21 Posts
Well your probes will always be Bases even if you put all the GT/SE cosmetics and stuff on it, you can't change that on your title.

But hey if thats what you guys are going for sweet, me personally I will stay pissed with my PO-Base!! Got to represent!!

Oh pictures are fourth coming.

·
97 Probe SE
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hey, I went to the link you posted for the fog lights, and there are 2 different types.....there is the PL-1055A/C and the PL-1055B. Which one did you use? Also, did you change the light that cam in the fog lights to the 110watt H3 halogen or is that the type of bulb that came in it? Thanx again!

·
Just some guy...
553 Posts
The first picture is to get your attention. I installed my 1055c's with no bulb upgrade.

The second picture is to show you that by pointing them in the right direction you can get maximum projection.

I use them as driving lights with the pop-ups off.

·
Probe Member
37 Posts
I didn't think the titles had a difference in them between SE's and base models. Mabe they do in some states, but since the SE was an appearance option I wouldn't expect it to have a special VIN digit to differentiate it. Could be wrong though. Besides, it doesn't really matter... its not like having an 93-96 SE over a 97 base is going to give me anything more than what I have besides some SE decals on the doors.

Fog lights: You can get them from Ford or Scooters if you want to shell out about twice as much as a great set of aftermarket lights will cost you. If you really want factory, look for a junked Probe, or the mall section on Probetalk.

I used the factory wiring in the car for the fogs. Its there on all Probes, you just need to hook lights up to it. You will also need the relay (about $40 at a parts store) that goes in the engine compartment fuse box and the dash switch. With the dash switch, you will want to make a slight wiring change so the lights can go on without the headlights. Easy to do, but as has been mentioned, I need PT to find the link to the directions.

16V emblem: Its not available thru a US Ford deale. I already tried, they cannot get it. I ordered mine from Greyhound Ford in England! I just emailed them asking if they could get one, and they said yes. So I emailed them my credit card number and within two weeks the part showed up in my mailbox from across the big pond. Also, its not a decal... and won't just "stick" on. Its a chrome plated plastic emblem... just like the Probe emblem on the back of the car. It has two posts on the back which would be secured by a couple self tapping nuts on the back. I didn't want to take the bumper off to do this, so I made a template, aligned it on the bumper and drilled holes for the posts. Then I epoxied the thing on! It stuck, no problems and I really like the look!

Gil Starr, would you be willing to post a pic of the 16V emblem on the board? I am sure Staves would like to see it and I don't have a means to put the pic on here... stupid Yahoo won't let me post to my website and show here.

Here is the link to Greyhound Ford in England if you wanna contact them.
http://homepages.newsquest.co.uk/greyhound/links.html

·
Probe SE Member
7 Posts
stavesacre21 said:
Hey, I went to the link you posted for the fog lights, and there are 2 different types.....there is the PL-1055A/C and the PL-1055B. Which one did you use? Also, did you change the light that cam in the fog lights to the 110watt H3 halogen or is that the type of bulb that came in it? Thanx again!
The PL-1055C is the driving light, 1055A is the amber fog lens. No the 1055 come with a 55 watt bulb, I upgreaded them ;)

·
97 Probe SE
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
You really have no Idea just how much you have helped me out! I sent Greyhound an E-mail about the emblem, and I just bout the Pilot 1055c fog lights tonight, which to me, look the exact same as OE fog lights on a GT. I'll keep you posted about the emblem status (if you want me to)

·
Just some guy...
553 Posts
Fformula88 said:
...would you be willing to post a pic of the 16V emblem on the board? I am sure Staves would like to see it and I don't have a means to put the pic on here... stupid Yahoo won't let me post to my website and show here.http://homepages.newsquest.co.uk/greyhound/links.html
I'll have to search for one or if you have one you want to post you can just upload it. The only one I have is the 24vV-6 badge I found for my car.

Attachments

·
Probe Member
37 Posts
I'm glad I could help. I didn't realize I could just upload pics to the forum! Thats a cool feature! Here is a pic of the 16V emblem on my car.

Attachments

·
Big Poppa
441 Posts
Fformula88 said:
I'm glad I could help. I didn't realize I could just upload pics to the forum! Thats a cool feature! Here is a pic of the 16V emblem on my car.
Whered you get that?
My car did not come w/one

·
Probe Member
37 Posts
fiveliter, your really resurrecting the posts from the dead today!! lol!

No US sold Probe came with the 16V emblem, but it IS a Ford Probe emblem. The European models came with them. The emblem is in the Probe font (obviously) and a Probe specific part, so IMO it belongs on the car. Unfortunately it is not available in the US.

I ordered the part from a Ford dealer in England. I did a web search from one and came up with Greyhound Ford in England. I emailed them and they were able to order it for me and ship it to me. I paid by credit card. It took about two weeks to get it. I think the total cost was between $15 and $20 with shipping and all. I didn' think that was so bad.

I can try to dig up their website/email if you want. Email me here if your interested... [email protected]

·
97 Probe SE
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
hey formula, I tried, and tried, and tried, and even when I was done with that, I tried some more, but no luck.

I have wrote them probably around 20 E-mails in the past 3 months, and got ONE responce from the Greyhound Ford. It wasn't even from the parts department.....it was from sales, and all they said was that they forwarded it to parts.

I would really like to get a hold of one as well, but truthfully, I don't think it is going to happen anymore. I'm not sure if they quit selling them overseas or what, but they CERTAINLY are not very customer friendly......

Dude, if you have ANYWAY that I could find one, it would be VERY well appricaited! Please let me know! Thanx again!

·
Big Poppa
441 Posts
Fformula88 said:
fiveliter, your really resurrecting the posts from the dead today!! lol!

No US sold Probe came with the 16V emblem, but it IS a Ford Probe emblem. The European models came with them. The emblem is in the Probe font (obviously) and a Probe specific part, so IMO it belongs on the car. Unfortunately it is not available in the US.

I ordered the part from a Ford dealer in England. I did a web search from one and came up with Greyhound Ford in England. I emailed them and they were able to order it for me and ship it to me. I paid by credit card. It took about two weeks to get it. I think the total cost was between $15 and $20 with shipping and all. I didn' think that was so bad.

I can try to dig up their website/email if you want. Email me here if your interested... [email protected]
SWEET!.... Im going to try and look them up here... If anything you should order a shitload of those and the 24v ones because I bet you could make a killing selling them on here and PT!
If I cant find the info Ill send you an email!

Oh, yeah, I was chugging along in this forum one day!! :HAHA:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts