Ford Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright, in a few weeks I'll have a little bit of dosh to play with, nothing major but I'm planning on at least a head unit.

Basicly, it's gotta go by this - under $500, MP3 player, detachable faceplate and preferably blue lighting to go with my dash when I finally do it all.

The Clarion DB336MP seems to do all that for a decent price, anyone know anything further about them?

Also, while I'm at it, I'm thinking about whacking a subbie into the parcel shelf hole. But buggered as to what I can find 8 inch wise. So far I found some 20 buck rubbish that I wouldn't touch with a 40 foot pole. I'd go for something in a box, but it seems kinda redundant without an amp, which I really can't afford right now.

·
Registered
5,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Oh yeah, another thing, I've heard of this little doo-hickeys that let you plug a head unit into the factory loom without mucking around, where would I find these? Searched jaycar but can't seem to find anything.

·
PAST EA TYCOON
292 Posts
JB sell the plugs. Nice and easy to do then.

·
"Steve has a car?"
2,207 Posts
I find the JVC HU range to be the best Headunits for the price. If you wana spend under $500 then i'd be looking at them. Not dissin clarion or anything, but I find that at that price, the JVC's offer more.

As for subs, there isn't really many decent 8inhces out there, and even then, without an amp it's not really worth it. I'd save my money until you can afford an amp, then get something decent. Any reason your looking for an 8 inch? Reason I ask is that your really limiting your range of options if you want it that small. A 10 inch is only a little bigger and your choice range will open up 100x more. If you really want compact, focal make a 5.5 inch sub, which apparently goes pretty hard for such a small surface area, but are pretty pricey.

·
Registered
5,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well I can't afford anything big, I'd hope to get at least one 12" in a box later on, but I can't afford an amp yet, and can't see it being too useful without one. So I thought I'd chuck something in the parcel shelf subbie hole, just as a temp thing, but it seems I might as well spend the money elsewhere.

·
Roll, Crash and Smash
1,748 Posts
Well if you ask me..... the clarion HU that you say is one of the best affordable HU in the world. I used to own that model (a few years earlier though) and it was fantastic for what i (and probably you) needed. I have since then updated to a Clarion DXZ825 (or something) and I can honestly say that it is the best HU going around. buy the clarion dude, you cant go wrong.

·
No longer around
4,882 Posts
dude, ya dont have to buy new, go searching the local and even not so local seccond hand shops, they often have a glass case filled with car audio gear, amps subs headunits blah blah... and cheap too

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
i have a JVC HU, and i am really happy with it. It has really everything i need for future stereo work, 3 pre-outs etc...

plays mp3's, removable face, and a really tiny remote. its at JB, advertised for $500, but i got mine for $400 in may last year!!

·
No longer around
4,882 Posts
just thinking about it, ill soon be selling my pioneer headunit. doesnt play MP3, btu has plenty of features. it was the seccond from top of range 2 years ago. 50x4w per ch, 2 pre outs.
model number DEHP4350. will come with steering wheel remote, and E series adapter which is modified with an adapter for the remote-to-amp wire .

dunno what $$ ill be asking but it cost me about 650 when i bought it, so i reckon about $450???

all depends on what price this bloke gives me for his alpine screen as for weather ill sell it :p

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
head on over to caraudioaustralia.com and look in there for sale section

1 - 12 of 12 Posts