Ford Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
V

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 240 has been sitting in my driveway for 1 1/2 years. Just put new
alternator, and new battery in it. The battery light is lit as soon as the
battery is attached, and stays on without the key in the ignition. The
alternator is not charging properly, but any reason the battery light
would be lit without the key in the ignition?
 
P

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Yes, the alternator is either useless or the wiring is incorrect. If it is
the same type alternator as the original then you need to take it back and
tell them it is duff and to replace it with another. The only other problem
could be that the wiring has deteriorated in those 18 months.

All the best, Peter.

700/900/90 Register Keeper,
Volvo Owners Club (UK).

"volvonator" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> My 240 has been sitting in my driveway for 1 1/2 years. Just put new
> alternator, and new battery in it. The battery light is lit as soon as the
> battery is attached, and stays on without the key in the ignition. The
> alternator is not charging properly, but any reason the battery light
> would be lit without the key in the ignition?
>
 
?

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Peter K L Milnes wrote:
> Yes, the alternator is either useless or the wiring is incorrect. If it is
> the same type alternator as the original then you need to take it back and
> tell them it is duff and to replace it with another. The only other problem
> could be that the wiring has deteriorated in those 18 months.
>
> All the best, Peter.
>
> 700/900/90 Register Keeper,
> Volvo Owners Club (UK).
>
> "volvonator" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]
>
>>My 240 has been sitting in my driveway for 1 1/2 years. Just put new
>>alternator, and new battery in it. The battery light is lit as soon as the
>>battery is attached, and stays on without the key in the ignition. The
>>alternator is not charging properly, but any reason the battery light
>>would be lit without the key in the ignition?
>>

>
>
>

That will happen if there is a bad diode in the diode cluster.
 
S

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Strong light? Grounding. It isn't wired correctly.
I guess it could be the alternator, but since they actually are a component
system that's like saying your car went bad.

I mean, you might get bad fuel, you might, but the hole in the tank is a much
more likely reason you have problems. The alternator isn't doing anything
unless the car is on.

This car has been sitting for about 500 days. Wires have cracked, corroded,
rusted. 240s have one problem area, and one only - the wiring. You can keep
replacing perfectly good alternators until you fiddle with the wire you need to
fix to make it all work, or you can fix the wire. The metal will be fine after
500 days (brakes will be great), but electrical maintenance is the key to 240
longevity, everything else is along for the ride.

Stef

On Thu, 20 Oct 2005, ........................................................ wrote:

>
>
> Peter K L Milnes wrote:
>> Yes, the alternator is either useless or the wiring is incorrect. If it is
>> the same type alternator as the original then you need to take it back and
>> tell them it is duff and to replace it with another. The only other problem
>> could be that the wiring has deteriorated in those 18 months.
>>
>> All the best, Peter.
>>
>> 700/900/90 Register Keeper,
>> Volvo Owners Club (UK).
>>
>> "volvonator" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> news:[email protected]
>>
>>> My 240 has been sitting in my driveway for 1 1/2 years. Just put new
>>> alternator, and new battery in it. The battery light is lit as soon as the
>>> battery is attached, and stays on without the key in the ignition. The
>>> alternator is not charging properly, but any reason the battery light
>>> would be lit without the key in the ignition?
>>>

>>
>>
>>

> That will happen if there is a bad diode in the diode cluster.
>
 
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
About this Discussion
3 Replies
1 Participant
Stef Caunter
Ford Forums
Ford Forum is a community to discuss all things Ford. Check out our discussions on the Ford Escape, Mustang, Edge, F-150, Raptor, Explorer, Focus, Fusion, Fiesta and more!
Full Forum Listing
Top