Ford Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is the battery shroud required, I have an EA series II and i snapped a alternator/water pump belt in the middle of nowwhere yesterday at midday about 38degrees. I always carry a set of 3 belts in the boot and a tool box just incase something like this would happen. While trying to replace the belt, the battery shroud just got in the way. I nearly considered pulling the battery out and throwing the shroud to the side of the road. After loosing a bit of skin of my knuckles i finally got it on, but god damn it would of been easy if it wasn't there. The fuseable links wouldn't need heat sheilding would they?? i mean there only insulated copper wires.

cheers JJJ

·
Often has bolts left over
848 Posts
a lot of people just throw them away. my uncle (who is a retired mechanic) said to me that it was the first thing to go on his :) he hasnt had any problems.

·
feed me hey
4,692 Posts
I'd leave it on for the cooling effect it would have around the battery. Apart from that they do get in the way. Apparenly some of the early EA's sufferd from batteries exploding so maybe this was one of the things they did to rectify that?

On the EB and onward the battery shroud has the scoop on the top of the radiator and vent which goes into the radiator shroud after the radiator and before the fan. Result: The fan pulls air in the scoop, around the battery and out.

·
Banned
3,104 Posts
Take it off, if the battery doesn't boil you're laughing. Personally I've never heard of a problem with removing them permanently....

·
feed me hey
4,692 Posts
If the battery was getting that hot I guess a larger flow of warm air would do more to cool it rather than little or no flow of cold air. I can't really see how they would get air flow around them as theyre pretty well a tight fit with no obvious place for air to exit.

·
R.I.P S/C EBII Fairmont
305 Posts
In the 20 months that I've owned my EA I haven't had a battery shroud. It was like that when we bought the car too, so who knows how long it's been gone for. It hasn't seemed to cause any problems. *touch wood*

·
Lamahs approve of manuals
1,382 Posts
I think they were installed originally as NZ said, for cooling effects. I believe that the high underbonnet temps that developed in the e-series lead to abnormally shortened battery life - so they aimed to extend it by making it cooler . . .

Personally, I'd leave it on . . .

·
oh no! I've gone ford mad
134 Posts
yeah I'd leave it on... can't hurt can it? mine comes off pretty easy when I want to work on the belts....

Craig

1 - 8 of 8 Posts