Ford Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone tried a higher ration in a BAXR8 ute? i thought the stock manual ration was 3.45, whereas the auto was around 3.7.

Would this be a good mod, and if so how much do you think if would pick up 0 -100? any idea of cost? :wnc:

·
I am a Turbo Wanker
2,379 Posts
I think the utes have 3.23 LSD in both manual and auto. A 3.7 would be perfect for a Manual or Auto and would take a few tenths off your 0-100 time for sure, and prob close to 1/2 sec off you 1/4 but not quite.

I'd say you'd be looking arounf $1000 give or take for a pro to change the ratios over assuming they are available. The ute's live axel should be easy enough to get done, it hasn't changed much in 20 years.

·
Registered
104 Posts
ok...... have tried this, to no avail....

The manual xr8 runs a 3.23...... the auto a 3.46...... both the man and auto run 3.46

Tried to get a 3.7 but the manufactuer for the diff dosent make that ratio.....

From the dealer, a 3.46 diff was $990 plus about $500 in labour to install.... a mate of mine runs a transmission shop, he has a good relatioship with the rep for the diffs manufactuer, and he said they dont make it....

·
I am a Turbo Wanker
2,379 Posts
Unless they changed the diff inside the housing on the live axel then the principle of using a 3.7 skyline gear should work. You can put skyline gears into E-Series falcons live axels.

·
Registered
256 Posts
If you put a 3.7 ratio diff in you might loose speed to 100km/h because instead of changing gears once from 1st to 2nd you will proberly have to change twice up into 3rd before 100km/h. 3.45:1 ratio is standard on an auto xr8 ute and option on the manual otherwise you get a 3.23 ratio standard.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Well i just ordered an xr8 ute and can tell you that Ford would not put the 3.45 into the manual no matter how much I tried to talk to them. They insisted it was available on the auto only for "technical reasons" which they were completely unable to explain. If there is some technical reason out there I'd love to know it but their attitude was piss poor in this regard, and dampened what I thought was otherwise great service.

Pathetic really I thought.

·
Registered
674 Posts
TS 50 said:
If you put a 3.7 ratio diff in you might loose speed to 100km/h because instead of changing gears once from 1st to 2nd you will proberly have to change twice up into 3rd before 100km/h. 3.45:1 ratio is standard on an auto xr8 ute and option on the manual otherwise you get a 3.23 ratio standard.
I strongly dispute this!.. I think, exactly what the XR8 & FPV's are lacking is lower ratio diff dears! 3.7 ideal all rounders, even 3.9's for the 1/4. No doubt you'll lose the 1800rpm at 100kph (more like 21..2200rpm) But the gain in acceleration would be enormous, getting completely rid of the "bog down" effect now present with the tall 3.23's.

·
Registered
2,784 Posts
94ED_Fairmont said:
Unless they changed the diff inside the housing on the live axel then the principle of using a 3.7 skyline gear should work. You can put skyline gears into E-Series falcons live axels.
greetings all
the earlier falcon has a 7 & 7/8 crownwheel & that is the same as the Nissan Pintara with 4.1:1 ratio & Skyline 3.9:1 ratio

the late mustang has a diff with a crownwheel of around 225mm

the BA GT, GT-P, Pursuits & the Turbo has a M86 diff with a crownwheel size of around 220mm

regards
rod

·
Banned
106 Posts
I agree with charliewood putting a 3.7 or 3.9 will give that neck snapping iacceleration the extra gear change to 100 wont mean jack.

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
A lower diff ratio will make a huge difference for the autos as the first gear is so tall. Why does first gear need to stretch to 85kmh.

·
Registered
2,784 Posts
greetings all
if any body know were we can get lower gear for the M86 i am prepared to try to arange a group purchase if anybody is interested

i have looked on the DANA web site in the US & have sent them an email as i am unable to find the M86 on there if somebody hyas a link or other ideas let us know

regards
rod

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
All BA V8 run the M86, including the ute. No ratio lower than 3.46 is available AT THIS TIME. Expect to see 3.7 in the Ford product soon, and possibly 3.9 or 4.10 in the GM stuff not too far after.
100km/h should be about 6200rpm in the manual, in second.
Expect first to possibly be somewhat landcruiser like in the manual.

·
Registered
674 Posts
WBT56 said:
All BA V8 run the M86, including the ute. No ratio lower than 3.46 is available AT THIS TIME. Expect to see 3.7 in the Ford product soon, and possibly 3.9 or 4.10 in the GM stuff not too far after.
100km/h should be about 6200rpm in the manual, in second.
Expect first to possibly be somewhat landcruiser like in the manual.
How do attain 6200?...

·
Registered
24 Posts
Charliewool said:
How do attain 6200?...
Exactly. If you can rev it to 6200, you can do 100 in second. If you can't, you can't. ( in reference to previous post about a possible extra gearchange to 100.)

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Charliewool said:
How do attain 6200?...
In reference to the comment about a possible extra gearchange to 100, if you can rev it to 6200 in second, you won't need it. If not, you will.

·
Banned
363 Posts
rod said:
greetings all
if any body know were we can get lower gear for the M86 i am prepared to try to arange a group purchase if anybody is interested

i have looked on the DANA web site in the US & have sent them an email as i am unable to find the M86 on there if somebody hyas a link or other ideas let us know

regards
rod
Rod, check this out. SPicer Axel is Dana in Australia. This is the product list page

http://www.spiceraxle.com.au/products.htm

Give them a call and I am sure they can work on this with you. Maybe even put an M90 in there and get the ECU programmed to stop holding back the engine and you would have a real 1/4 mile beast

·
Registered
80 Posts
The R31 skyline used 3.7 in the mans, 3.9 in the autos, 4.11 in the pintaras..
Using the old BW diff.. like commos and Falcs... With the RB engine, having it at 2000 rpm at highway speeds was no issue because it was so smooth. Compared to the VL commodore which ran simular engine, with 3.45. No real impact on fuel economy, and the R31 took off a bit better..

I doubt these ratios would fit in a BA diff. Completely diffrent diff.

3.7 would be a nice ratio for the BA, 3.9 are popular on commodores, but thats just because they have such long gearing to begin with and are revy ls1's.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts