Ford Forums banner

1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:AAHHH: Ok guys, how could this happen??? I dont understand, I have 182kW under the bonnet and they have like 155kW, I know they are lighter then the fords but man this dude thrashed me, TWICE, not happy jan. :AAHHH:

Do the magna have a turbo model in the range? I think it said sports or something on the back, he beat me by about a car length upto 100ks, I know I know I should'nt be draggin anyone but he was asking for it, anyways does anyone know what these things put out? And what do I have to do to beat one, like extractors and stuff, where do I start.

I see this guy regularly on the way to work, so next time I want to be prepared.

HELP!

·
RACE
2,950 Posts
Something doesn't seem right if that's the case. Although Magnas do jump of the line quite good.

·
Tickford and FPV Bloke
953 Posts
HMM thats a little bit Odd, my BA would easily eat a Magna, maybe your doing something wrong, or it was a RALLYART.

·
AUPS Member
658 Posts
the magna sports versions have the triptonic gearbox or whatever its called. this put the power up to 180kw or something, my next door nieghbour has one and when he puts it in manual mode the thing flys!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
674 Posts
If its a later model sports than it should have the 3.5ltr in it,my brother has one in his varada,and it really suprises me the car beat you.My xr6 ute 172kw would anielate it.I had an blast with a magna 3.0ltr upto the speed limit the other day,I wasnt even thinking of it,he took off quick,I passed him with out trying too hard.
For best results: push your right foot as hard as you can to the floor.
(until you reach the speed limit of course)

·
Banned
421 Posts
well its most probably because your a sissy girl with an auto (just kidding!)

i dont know, fairmonts are pretty heavy (with all the fruit they have), and magnas are pretty punchy off the line, but that being said there is still no excuse for getting beaten by an automatic magna!

shame, shame, shame....hand over your ford keys now!

·
Ford Appreciation Society
3,666 Posts
Just 'cause it's a magna, doesn't mean it's stock...

What has your futura had done to it?

·
freelance
1,086 Posts
BAyababy said:
:AAHHH: Ok guys, how could this happen??? I dont understand, I have 182kW under the bonnet and they have like 155kW, I know they are lighter then the fords but man this dude thrashed me, TWICE, not happy jan. :AAHHH:

Do the magna have a turbo model in the range? I think it said sports or something on the back, he beat me by about a car length upto 100ks, I know I know I should'nt be draggin anyone but he was asking for it, anyways does anyone know what these things put out? And what do I have to do to beat one, like extractors and stuff, where do I start.

I see this guy regularly on the way to work, so next time I want to be prepared.

HELP!
Oh the shame! the shame! Something isnt right/standard somewhere.

I have a trier I often see on the way to work, with a VRX and a personalised plate something like "Quick 3.5L" who is always tying to line me up.

The EL XR8 auto had no competition from this thing, and nows he's trying to line up my BOSS XR. Well its one giggle on the drive to the city and a change from all those povvo pack VS's wanting a run.
(All legit mind, I wouldn't want to contribute to Bobs revenue tin.)

·
Two SC 61's = trouble
6,360 Posts
The sport has 160KW or around that figure, lower final drive compared to other Magnas and is possibly heaps lighter..

Mitsi do have good gear but unfortunatly NOT in Australia...

·
FF Moderator
2,202 Posts
Gearing fella's. Your Futura is set up for pulling and comfort and the gears are very long and lazy. The Magna Sports are set up the complete opposite. Their power is 163 kw. If this was a short dash the result is not surprising.

The equivalent of the Magna Sports is a N/A Xr6. If you were in the Xr would have been closer, but may have still lost. MOTOR claimed that although the Miti’s were faster initially the big Ford would run both them and the Supercharged V6 Holden down over a longer distance.

From MOTOR:

Falcon XR6 (N/A) Weight- 1672 kg 0-100 = 8.11 sec 400m = 15.86 (auto)
Mitz Magna Sports Weight- 1472 kg 0-100 = 7.98 sec 400m = 15.69 (auto)

Mitz Magna Sports VR-X Weight- 1493 kg 0-100 = 7.44 sec 400m = 15.35 (auto)

No times recorded for your Futura..sorry

Cheers,
Colville

·
Registered
42 Posts
Don't underestimate the humble magna. I had a 1996 TE 3.0L V6 auto when they were new. These put out 140Kw and it was the model that won wheels car of the year. In drive the transmission would shift from 1st to 2nd at only 5700 rpm, however you could hold it manually in 1st until 6600 rpm and it would pull hard all the way to cut out. It would have no problem matching a EF/EL I6 off the mark, but once it got to 4000 rpm it would easliy pull away. I once came across a EL XR6 auto and I wasn’t the one who was embarrassed twice.

·
ESP Man
888 Posts
Better get yourself some performance bits - Jim Mock Motorsport maybe?

Try the Magna again in the wet - unless they have limited slip you will eat him off the line

·
Registered
251 Posts
shaynet said:
Better get yourself some performance bits - Jim Mock Motorsport maybe?

Try the Magna again in the wet - unless they have limited slip you will eat him off the line
They do have traction control on the TJ VRX & Ralliart.

I do know how they go as the wife has a Dark Blue TJ VRX and it does go fairly hard, and its not a bad looker.

She loves it, and to be honest, its pretty good.

·
AUPS Member
658 Posts
What did i just tell you people!!!! The magna sports has the option of automatic and manual mod! the auto mod is 155kw and the manual is rated at 180kw! so yeah thats why it beat u. my neighbour has a magna sports!

·
Yes, fords still kick
668 Posts
I didn't think Jim Mock Motorsport had developed any packages for the BA I6 yet? Would be interesting to see what they claimed to get out of that engine if they do make a "DEV" package.

·
Two SC 61's = trouble
6,360 Posts
Whats your f/d ratio??? I'd start there....

1 - 20 of 80 Posts