Ford Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I removed my truck bed from my 1990 F-150 searching for an obnoxious squeak. I think I’ve found where it’s coming from. My question is, does anyone have any suggestion on what type of maintenance, preventative maintenance, inspections, etc. to look for while I have the bed off and total access to the rear half of the entire chassis?? I don’t plan on taking the bed of ever again so I figured I should take advantage and knock out anything that might be a lot easier while I have the access. I’ve noticed that my fuel filler neck hoses are pretty old and dry rotted so I’ll replace those. Anything else I should check for or inspect while I have the chance? Thanks!!

·
Super Moderator
1,784 Posts
Brake hoses, fuel lines? I would also take this opportunity to thoroughly clean everything in sight, remove any rust, and paint or undercoat the frame and rear end. It's also easier to reach any Zerk fittings with the bed off. I would also check the bed for rust.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Absolutely! Good idea. My fuel hoses are extremely rotted. Other than that, everything in there seems to be holding up really strong! Especially for a 31 year old 4x4 truck!! Thanks for the response!! 👍

·
Super Moderator
9,330 Posts
Might be a fine time to apply some rust proofing paint as well. Unless you're showing off the underbelly, you can apply it with a brush. Just make sure any rust spots have been cleaned to shiny metal.

·
Super Moderator
1,784 Posts
Absolutely! Good idea. My fuel hoses are extremely rotted. Other than that, everything in there seems to be holding up really strong! Especially for a 31 year old 4x4 truck!! Thanks for the response!! 👍
Old trucks are my favorite! No other vehicle has as much character or as many tales to tell than an old 4X4.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Might be a fine time to apply some rust proofing paint as well. Unless you're showing off the underbelly, you can apply it with a brush. Just make sure any rust spots have been cleaned to shiny metal.
That’s a good idea. I bought this truck from someone who lived in Santa Monica, right near the beach. So I figured it would be rusted out big time!! But surprisingly, it’s actually really clean and rust free!!! Just a few spots that I will sand down, clean, and paint. Thanks for the input!!
Also, any ideas on how to prevent any squeaks when it’s time to put the bed back on?? Any specific contact points I should be aware of besides the obvious mounting locations??

·
Super Moderator
9,330 Posts
It'll also give you the opportunity to flip it so you can get up high at the bed rails.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts