Ford Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Safety Commitee Tim
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
time to talk v8 rumble in the jungle ... so desperatly wanting a V8, and waiting anxiusly to get off P's , im researching my next car late this year, knowing that a 25k AU is out of reach, it has to boil down to an e-series pick. so in light of that where would money be best spent? for both power and realiability, EB or ED , the early EF V8 EL 1 XR8 are lacking in power from what iv'e seen, so is the updated AU engine like ELXR82 the way to go? Assuming that the only mods that are made are basic ie zorst, chip, iNTAKe and external mods .. basically which one would be value for money? and to be a HSV & Tickford king ... sorry should mention it's most likely going to be AUTO , :( don't drive manual often enough to be good, maybe i could learn, assuming the AUTO was chipped, zorsted and intake upped, and a few things making round 220kw would it compete with manuals? ELXR82 that is?

i know it's alot of questions so just rattle on with whatever you want to say. bits and pieces would be appreaciated, im good at jigsaws!

BOOty

·
boosted sleeper
4,560 Posts
Well, it depends on what shape you particularly like and how much you want to spend on it. I hear SikEDXR8 is selling his modified EDXR8 for around the 18k mark. It has everything on it, but needs to be finished off for it to be a 170rwkw beast.

Or you could opt to go a bit cheaper and get a nice cruisy EFXR8 instead.

I dunno, its up to what your budget is.

·
Lamahs approve of manuals
1,382 Posts
Prior to the EL2's with 185, there was little difference in raw output of the V8's. An EB will be lighter than an EF though. But might have different diffs. Its all a 50/50 thing, and mostly will come down to what blueoval said, styling & money.
I like the EL's the best (biased), so got one of those.
Largely, with the mods listed, you will end up very close in power whether you buy an EB or an EL (unless the engine is really "old" and tired).

However, I think you would be struggling to get 220KW without a head change (stock e series heads are very ordinary).

·
pR()rN_*
1,966 Posts
ED XR8 Sprint!
Get one they rock.
But they are hard to find.

·
Registered
367 Posts
carazy said:
ED XR8 Sprint!
Get one they rock.
But they are hard to find.
what he said

·
Looking in YOUR bathroom.
3,287 Posts
ED XR8 Sprint, or a EL2 Ghia 5.0L (yuumie.....)

·
Are we there yet?
1,621 Posts
Well, I woulda picked an EB or EL GT for the best V8's, but they are more expensive as an AU XR8.....

·
Safety Commitee Tim
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
basically i have the ol EA, and have loved EA-ED shape but for fear of old stlying and re-sale value ages down the track i thought if ur gona geta a loan why not use it to good use, and newer technology, it was just my starying mind cos of the substantial amount more KW's in EL2 than EB/ED EF/EL1 that tickled my fancy, plus it has a neat bodykit and i think is apart from AU the next best styled XR series, forgive my sins all BA EB/ED even EF/EL/s not kitted fans ... budget was going to be around a 10k loan plus my own 10k, so 20K, SO THE LEFTOVER WOULD BE just for insurnace, damn the under 25!! (if i can get it) mods would be afterwards, i just wanted a fast ford without turbs, s.charger, one to keep for years to come, a head turner, maybe even take to shows, ahh the dreams of a young teen ... so i guess really it boils down to where is it best spent considering those above mentioned things? hehe mite come off as i just want a pace setter, to stir up commo's, in a way yes, blame CFI, but also i like most ppl appreaciate a car, and i spose want a cream of the crop type, god i may as well just say i want the EL2 XR8, heaven help me on this!! so with my mods list, on an EB/ED xr8 be COMAPRED TO A STOCK VP-VX even VY HSV, watching his arse, matching, beating...likewise ELXR82? GOD I ASK TO MANY QUESTIONS ... bless the soul of the one of you with my answers, im gona leave it here before i ask more ...thanks for ur reading type ... and now hopefully ur typing.

·
i pity tha fool
1,040 Posts
sprint sprint sprint

·
Lamahs approve of manuals
1,382 Posts
With the mod list, (exhaust, chip, intake manifold) basically all the V8's will be making the same power ( EL2 gain was mostly the newer intake and chip revisions).
Even with the mods, I'd say you would be struggling with any GENIII based HSV. Older ones you should be able to keep up with or out-gun . . .

·
boosted sleeper
4,560 Posts
^^^what he said^^^
but I nearly outrun VXSS's now. Wont be long till completely out do em. It just depends on how much you spend and the total package working together as a whole.

I know I will never be the quickest car but I can sure hold my own when it comes to cars in my class!

my 2c

·
XE Wagon owner
2,125 Posts
Having had a ED Sprint previously I would have to say the Sprint ,...........

I couldnt find anything around my area to come close to the power of the sprint nor the styling for an older vehcile........

The Sprint is a limited edition vehicle that is highly called for but is therefore hard to find a good example ...... but with the $$ you have to spend you will get a great one & have $$ left over for insurance....

Hard to beat the Sprint if you have the $$ ...... only wish I had the $$$$ to get another one .......

:fairy

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
i coulda bought a AU XR6/8 for $16,000-$23,000 i cant remember where but i wrote the price down but not where it was(funny that)

pretty cool.XR8's are.

·
oh no! I've gone ford mad
134 Posts
man I had a look at a head off an EB XR8... man they have to be the most shitty V8 heads I have ever seen... same with the intake manifold ports... no wonder the I6's go harder!

Craig

·
boosted sleeper
4,560 Posts
XR6_ cortina said:
man I had a look at a head off an EB XR8... man they have to be the most shitty V8 heads I have ever seen... same with the intake manifold ports... no wonder the I6's go harder!

Craig
Your absolutely correct there. With a change of heads to say a GT40P($1000) and edelbrock intake($1100) with nothing else done makes a tremendous difference though. Say hello to no traction at a set of lights!

·
Registered
5,316 Posts
<----<<< ED Sprint.. cheaper lighter and faster than the GTs of the time. If you look you can find them at a decent price in need of a little TLC.

·
Safety Commitee Tim
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
ok then boys ... all very valid points. so fight it out EL2XR8 v ED SPRINT. You know the mods list, id say the sprint will be faster, and sell for more too, but damn that Moffat kit costs $$$ .. but the styling of a newer car, especially the EL .. SO auto v auto Sprint with zorst, chip , intake ra ra ..would run mid 15's ? and the ELXR8 roughly the same ? a bit slower you boys tell me if u can anybody got the EL2xr8 to vouch for it?? likewise a sprint owner?... cheers , any more point you wana raise go4 it ! plus ive seen upto 10 sprints floating round SA for sale .. the EL2XR is more rare here id say ...

·
Mr Sensible...
115 Posts
:fraz: Hmm if it was me Id pick the EA 351 GT darn they did'nt exist o well. Anyway it would be a tough choice between the bang for your buck ED Sprint and the EL GT personally.
As I like the earlier shape better (EA-ED) as they look tuff without any bodykit.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts