Ford Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
R.I.P S/C EBII Fairmont
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering what type of oil people recommend for a EA Falcon? I'm not sure what my mechanic used for the last service, but I've just been topping it up with some Valvoline that my dad's had in the shed for a while. My car has developed a bit of an oil leak, so I'm going to take it to my mechanic on Thursday to get it checked out. I was thinking that I might get him to drain all of the old oil and replace it with some new oil that I plan to supply. How many litres of oil would I need to buy to fill it up? My car has that annoying ticking noise which I'm sure can be somewhat put down to the age of the vehicle and the fact that it does not have thermos, but from what I have gathered, the type of oil may be respsoible to a certain degree. Is this true? Secondly, with better quality oil, is it possible that the leaks will actually stop themselves, or lessen in volume?
I'm considering getting some of the Magnatec (I think that's the name of it) that is on the ad with Adam Gilchrist. I really like the ad (Gilly is a champ!) and it sounds pretty impressive.
Any help guys would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Michael

·
cArSiK
1,249 Posts
yep i use HPR30 also , great oil , no lifter noise (170k)....

James

·
Registered
4 Posts
I use hpr 30 on the xf (295000k) and on the XP (mileage unknown)
with no lifter noise at all. The oil's are changed every 5000k to keep
the viscosity and engine oil gallerie's clean and just right.

·
R.I.P S/C EBII Fairmont
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sounds like HPR30 is the way to go. Any idea how many litres I'll need to buy to fill the EA once it's been drained? How much does HPR30 cost? Thanks for the comments guys...

·
R.I.P S/C EBII Fairmont
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Oh and BTW what do all the numbers mean? I've seen HPR30 20/60 before. What do 20/60 mean? I've also seen numbers like 15/40 and 20/50... Does HPR30 only come in one form?

·
cArSiK
1,249 Posts
hpr30 costs around the $26 mark. It is 20w-60. My ED spits out 5L incl filter and i put 5L in every 5000kms. I assume the EA would be the same...

James

·
NA Fairlane 4.0i
173 Posts
Heard so many horror stories from some engine rebuilders about Castr?? Magnat?? produce deposit that clings to oil passages and eventually blocking them. I reckon the Penrite is good enough if you replacement frequently (e.g: every 10,000k or 6 month) or else, I would recommend you to use a equivalent Pennzoil or Havoline as additive packages in Pennrite and Valvoline Oil are pretty weak and deplete faster than other brands (but seems like the VR1 by Valvoline has a heavy additive package with heaps of ZDDP).

·
grippin'n'rippin
250 Posts
I do regular changes every 5000k, oil and filter. 10000k's is the maximum oil life, and considering that most of my driving is done in the city, with all the stress on the engine of the stop/go driving, 10000k between oil changes would be a bit of an overkill for the motor.
what docomo said about magnatec is true. Magnatec clings to oil passeges and everything else inside your motor, so every time you drain the oil, whatever is stuck on the engine will stay inside, and that just happens to be the dirtiest oil.
If your lifters are noisy, change them.
j_biafra88 the sump capacity of EA is 6 litres including the oil filter, but you'll need about 4.5-5 litres to fill it up to the required level.

·
{';'}
4,345 Posts
I changed to Penrite HPR15 and I got that horrible (lifter?) ticking noise. Drives me mad. Next oil change is gonna be something a bit thicker.

The ED has done just over 175k kms.

·
Registered
182 Posts
hpr 30 is the way to go Penrite the best oil i have found on the market.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Nah I have to disagree with the Penrite HPR30

I put this in two EA's and both now have lifter noise because of this oil(one didn't have it before). I'll try HPR15 next and see if that fixes it.

·
grippin'n'rippin
250 Posts
fordfanatic, if your lifters are ticking, going to thinner oil wont fix it, only make it worse. Go to a thicker oil like hpr40 instead.

·
{';'}
4,345 Posts
sleepwalker said:
fordfanatic, if your lifters are ticking, going to thinner oil wont fix it, only make it worse. Go to a thicker oil like hpr40 instead.
You're right, but I've been wondering if there is an actual solution to stop the ticking rather than screening it with thicker oil...

·
boosted sleeper
4,560 Posts
Thicker oil is usually the cheapest solution to engine ticking. I remember my old man putting a can Bardahl (if you remember it) in our old ZL fairlane to stop the ticking noise. Man that stuff you practically had to scoop out with a spoon it was so thick. But it did the job for a engine that did well over 300,000k's. Im not saying I recommend this practice, but if your not worried about touching the motor there are cheaper alternatives.

·
grippin'n'rippin
250 Posts
the best solution is to fix/replace the faulty lifters. They are about $30 from sprint, $45 from ford. I've read on another thread that you can buy lifter rebuild kits from repco. Perhaps someone knows something about these kits.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts