Ford Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Ford Member
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this thread must have been posted countless times but what is the suggestion for an exhaust system for a 200KW XR8.

Any particular brands an configuration and what gains can I realistically expect out of it.

Is the standard system very resrictive or is it okay?

·
Pursuit Reincarnation Dog
7,777 Posts
Isn't it funny that a few pipes between engine and back of car can be such a common and highly talked about issue?

Anyhow, I think the 200kW and 220kW cars have the same exhaust from cats back. I have one of these systems sitting in the garage, and from observation it is actually quite good up to the rear of the mufflers. At this point the pipes reduce down in size quite dramatically before going under the IRS and across the car. Makes me wonder whether cutting the pipes at the rear of the mufflers and running bigger pipes would make a low cost system and give you more go?

Other than that the 200 is cut down by the small cats and the headers. The 220 runs similar headers, however the cats are noticeably larger. The 4-1 layout on each bank is a necessity to get the engines past emissions (heating up the cats quickly), however as others have found 4-2-1 is a much better for overall performance.

Having confused you with all this, EVERYONE I have spoken to that modifies these Windsors has said a 2.5 mandrel single system is better than a dual. I now have the Herrod system with rear resonator and it sounds very good, doesn't drone, and is very well finished.

·
Aussie Falcon Enthusiast
478 Posts
Hmm, dont know who you've been speaking too but most of the Mustang guys I read about run twin systems with either an h or x pipe in the middle.

Of course only way to be sure is to line up a few different setups on the same car and dyno test each one.

·
Officially Bored with 347
3,584 Posts
Ahhhhhhh the sweet smell of a debate..............
I dont really know which is better, people I personally have talked to swear by the twin 2 1/2 inch, whilst others swear by single systems. same goes by written paraphenalia.
IMHO I do believe that single systems offer a better scavenging effect due to the pulses being in the same pipe but also believe twin systems offer less back pressure.
I personally have Jethot coated genie extractors 1 7/8 inch pipe dia. hiflow cats & single 3inch stainless sys.(no res) & am absolutely wrapped by the note & sound..........
Loud & rumbly Definately ... Offensive NEVER...
Just a point of view

·
Registered
7,750 Posts
I run a twin 2.5 Like the guys above, everyone I talked to had a different answer.

I had one of the top guys from Tickford drive my car and he seemed to give it the thumbs up, especially as it doesn't drone.

The guys I talked to seemed to think that if you are going to go single it needs to be slightly bigger than 2.5. Herrods have been around a while though so they should know what they are doing.

I think when it comes time to replace my system single 3 inch like Brett has might be the go.

I don't think you are going to get a straight answer on this one. In 3 months of me trying I couldn't!

·
BSR
2,279 Posts
I fitted dual 2 1/4 on mine with new lukey mandrel bent mufflers and no rear res and finished with dual 3' Stainless tips.

Sounds sweet......

·
Australian XR8 Member
170 Posts
I went for the full Herrod header/Stainless 2 1/2". Good thing is theres no drone or resonation anywhere in the rev range (have had this before and not good on an 8-10 hour trip for the front passenger - can't hear too much bad stuff from the drivers seat, but the other side of the car its bad).
Herrod system is complete, well made and you know what you're getting! Gives great tone too! (and passes ADR I'm told).

·
Shh i'm huntin more power
1,764 Posts
My personal preferance is a set of interferance headers like HM or pacemaker (HM are good coz they come with cats) Then 2 1/2 inch from the cat back....

·
T5 Expert Operator
6,540 Posts
So from what i can see, the exhaust system debate on the windsor 302 doesn't really have an effect of what power it makes ie 175, 200, 220, 250 etc.

Guess it's down to personal taste.

·
Two SC 61's = trouble
6,360 Posts
We have had this debate before.I think alot of it also comes down to quality of mufflers. Some 2 1/2 in are actually very small inside being restrictive. so check on them, esp mild steel one's..

·
Pursuit Reincarnation Dog
7,777 Posts
I spoke to Herrod, **** Webb SVO, and an exhaust shop here in Sydney. The common quote was "Hey, we LOVE twin systems, tried them over and over, but if you want better performance the single 2.5 mandrel is the go. We don't like the way things are, but the dyno proves it". (in similar words).

I had a good laugh from **** Webb who said he wasted lots of money building lots of systems to prove people wrong who said single was better. His comment : "I filled lots of scrap metal bins proving they were RIGHT!"

I wanted dual so bad, but in the end kWs cost lots of money so the wrong exhaust can cost you more than the cost of the system. The Herrod 2.5 with resonator is good. Very high quality finish to the pipes (made in one mandrel bent piece).

1 - 13 of 13 Posts