Ford Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My car makes annoying Tapper noise for 5sec after starting the engine then it is super quiet. Is there any oil out there that will stay up in the rocker gear so at startup i don't need to wait 5sec for the oil pump to get oil up there.

cheers JJJ

·
CRUISING
158 Posts
Hmmm i use Penrite HPR40 and it seemed to actually stop it. A really faint clatter on start up and and thats it. Runs real smooth as well.

·
waitin 4 swoop 2 catch up
479 Posts
i use castrol gtx magnatec 10-40w and the tappets tik for 1 second compared to what it used to with the old oil plus the engine is real clean inside

·
Ford Veteran
685 Posts
jjj, there are actually a lot of topics on these forums, search for words such as 'tappets' and you will find some related threads. I remember castrol magnatec has been popular.

·
Registered
529 Posts
My engine used to tap. I pulled the motor out then changed all the gaskets to stop all the oil leaks. It doesn't tap at all anymore and I still use the same oil, Penrite HPR15.

I don't know what I did but from that I would assume that the oil is not the true fix (unless you are reusing old sump oil or the like) or the problem.

·
Ford Veteran
685 Posts
not ford said:
My engine used to tap. I pulled the motor out then changed all the gaskets to stop all the oil leaks. It doesn't tap at all anymore and I still use the same oil, Penrite HPR15.

I don't know what I did but from that I would assume that the oil is not the true fix (unless you are reusing old sump oil or the like) or the problem.
Sometimes the Hydraulic lash adjusters can have problems also, you can get repair kits or replace them fairly cheaply I think but some labour involved. Certainly not as much as pulling out the engine and replacing the gaskets :p

·
{';'}
4,345 Posts
Just digging this back to the top. How much are the repair kits? How hard are they to replace/fix? I'm getting some oil now..................

·
NOW STARK EA
371 Posts
yeh sorry for tryna fire this one back up, where are these kits sold, and how much?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts