Ford Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
SE QLD SVO OPERATIONS
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
any ideas to totally reset it? I've heard that if you dissconnent the +pos battery termial and touch it to the -neg one, and hold it there for about 10-20 secs, that will do it ..

Also, in reseting it, will it cause any problems with smart lock?

Just wondering if there are any other ways.

Thanx.
Antony.

·
BA'o'Matic 100% working.
3,838 Posts
crossing the + and - terminals is sheer madness, fry something with that idea :0)

30 mins + will clear everything, requiring the computer to re-learn.

·
Two SC 61's = trouble
6,360 Posts
He doesn't mean the battery terminals?? Just the leads I hope??? I'd disconnect the earth - terminal.. That way if spanner touches earth/body , there is no short sercuit...Heaps safer...

·
BA'o'Matic 100% working.
3,838 Posts
Regardless, you only need some residule voltage in a capicator to creat a voltage spike and fry something, I wouldn't try it :0)

·
Two SC 61's = trouble
6,360 Posts
Just turn lights or fan on...After disc earth..Just drive it.I was told ages ago to drive to 3/4 throttle ..There is a way of going through a sequence like goosing throttle etc..But it learns after some time...

·
Registered
797 Posts
Every driver drives differently, eg family man drivers more conservitevly (sp?) than a 18yo lad whoc just got their license ... (just an example). Varibles can be adjusted such as, Transmission controle (kick down controle), economy controle, response etc. When resetting this is getting deleted and the ECU can relearns froms cratch. Comes in handy when the vehicles changes owner, you take ur dads car out for a spin and the ECU has always been used to ur dads slow acceleration etc.

Anyway comes in handy when modding the car as well (not particluarly with external mos :p), but anything from changing air filter (more air flow, hence ecu must learn to increase fuel mixture), over exhaust to cams and god knows what else.

To successfully reset the ecu u have to disconnect the +ive terminal, but touching that terminal to negatve or anything like that is just plain madness. Instead leave it off for at least 30min. The ECU is capapable of holding the memory for that long due to the fact if u just wanna do a simple battery swap u dont wanna loose the memory. You can see when the ecu has reset on ur dash and u turn the key to accessories that a test is run by the ECU and warning signal light up. Then you simple turn it off and back on and u r ready to roll ...

Well that the dash lights up in EF to BA falcons ... dunno about EDs ... but same thing i spose ;)

·
Fast but not Furious
44 Posts
Just disconnect the battery and then press the break peddle for ~ 10 seconds (this will drain all the residual voltages from the cars electrics)…

·
khellooo!!
163 Posts
so when ur resetting the ECU u unplug both terminals?? or just pos??
mr. mx6, so do u hold the brake pedal with the car on or off? (excuse my ignorance!)

·
Fast but not Furious
44 Posts
XMU2drescue said:
so when ur resetting the ECU u unplug both terminals?? or just pos??
mr. mx6, so do u hold the brake pedal with the car on or off? (excuse my ignorance!)
With the key on or off shouldn’t matter (with the motor not running ).. as the brake lights are always working/active and don’t use a relay to bring them in (like the head lights do)..
Just one battery terminal/ wire . .doesn’t mater which one.. .

·
What's all that about?
118 Posts
EvilChief said:
Every driver drives differently, eg family man drivers more conservitevly (sp?) than a 18yo lad whoc just got their license ... (just an example). Varibles can be adjusted such as, Transmission controle (kick down controle), economy controle, response etc. When resetting this is getting deleted and the ECU can relearns froms cratch. Comes in handy when the vehicles changes owner, you take ur dads car out for a spin and the ECU has always been used to ur dads slow acceleration etc.

Anyway comes in handy when modding the car as well (not particluarly with external mos :p), but anything from changing air filter (more air flow, hence ecu must learn to increase fuel mixture), over exhaust to cams and god knows what else.

To successfully reset the ecu u have to disconnect the +ive terminal, but touching that terminal to negatve or anything like that is just plain madness. Instead leave it off for at least 30min. The ECU is capapable of holding the memory for that long due to the fact if u just wanna do a simple battery swap u dont wanna loose the memory. You can see when the ecu has reset on ur dash and u turn the key to accessories that a test is run by the ECU and warning signal light up. Then you simple turn it off and back on and u r ready to roll ...

Well that the dash lights up in EF to BA falcons ... dunno about EDs ... but same thing i spose ;)
Hi EvilChief,

I'd like to do this on my newly acquired AU2 Fairlane. Do you think it will effect my alarm and / or stereo?

Andrew.

·
BA'o'Matic 100% working.
3,838 Posts
Stereo yes, you will need to re-enter the code for it (unless it is aftermarket, alarm factory no, aftermarket ones the siren will normally sound when re-connecting the battery, so either turn it off, or make sure all dorrs are closed and the bonnet switch dwon, should then allow you to press the dis-arm button before any noise.

Jason

·
Registered
797 Posts
dauphin: dunno about car alarm ... just switch the damn thing off if it goes off.

The CD player depends on if its aftermarket or not. The clock will definately be reset, and you MIGHT loose ur preset radio stations, but what the hack ...

1 - 20 of 24 Posts