Ford Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im having issues with a droning / rumbling noise in the 6 speed Tremec gearbox fitted to my 3 month old BF GTP. The Dealer has fitted 2 new gearboxes as they say this is a known issue that Ford / FPV refer to as " 5th Gear rumble". The noise only happens in 5th or 6th gear at between 100 and 115 km/hr either under load or on overrun.Put it back to 4th and no issue ( except for the revs!). The first box they fitted was a "certified" box from Tremec with new gear cut profiles, but that was worse and sounded like a mini with a straight cut gearbox. Ford and FPV have wiped their hands saying there is nothing more they can do....is anyone else having the same issue and is their a fix?

·
Registered
917 Posts
GTP0122 said:
Im having issues with a droning / rumbling noise in the 6 speed Tremec gearbox fitted to my 3 month old BF GTP. The Dealer has fitted 2 new gearboxes as they say this is a known issue that Ford / FPV refer to as " 5th Gear rumble". The noise only happens in 5th or 6th gear at between 100 and 115 km/hr either under load or on overrun.Put it back to 4th and no issue ( except for the revs!). The first box they fitted was a "certified" box from Tremec with new gear cut profiles, but that was worse and sounded like a mini with a straight cut gearbox. Ford and FPV have wiped their hands saying there is nothing more they can do....is anyone else having the same issue and is their a fix?
Have you considered changing to a decent oil such as Lubrimaxx sythetic gear oil ?
I use it in the box in the race car which converted it from cant think stright to a fun environment when driving .

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
atec77 said:
Have you considered changing to a decent oil such as Lubrimaxx sythetic gear oil ?
I use it in the box in the race car which converted it from cant think stright to a fun environment when driving .
They say to use an ATF oil ( obviously for gear change quality ) and now I have it running on Mobil 1 Synthetic ATF, its reduced the noise in 5th but its still there in 6th.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts