Ford Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Ford free-star 2005 4.2 liter engine.New battery,new alternator,new syncroshaft and camshaft position sensor.Problem is my dash odometer numbers are all dashes my trans axle light flashes and my brake lights is on.No codes come out with my OBD2 reader.Small local garage did a scan also, he got no codes either. when I take the battery terminal off to reset the ecm the odometer comes back to life for 2 seconds then dashes again.when I'm driving it sometimes all goes back to normal the does it again.I did notice now that trans is having trouble shifting ,rpm will get to 3000 and no gear change.I did check some sensor by shutting down the engine and unplugging different sensor connection.When I restarted the engine my obd2 gave me a reading ,shut down the engine reset the codes plugged back in the sensor and tried some others.same thing.checked a whole bunch of connections for corrosion,checked the relays by changing their places .Beginning to think maybe something in the ECM. My brain is now burnt trying to find the problem .I did take off the ECM opened it up and check all the solder joints for corrosion with a high power magnifier glass all looked good. Any help would be appreciated.Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Forgot to mention, I did take the cluster out, checked all the connection with a magnifier glass,all was perfect. no broken welds no corrosion .Thanks for the post.getting so tired trying to find the problem.Might just send it to the scrap.

·
Super Moderator
19,430 Posts
I would be inclined to try another cluster or get it cheked out .Here is a previous post on same subject which you can have a look at , note post #5 on reprogramming from r-clar who was a clever , active Ford Technician on the forum when he replied .Now no longer here on forum unfortunately .

https://www.fordforums.com/f61/2006-ford-freestar-instrument-cluster-black-out-214186/

AND

Plenty of repairers about ,

https://www.taninautoelectronix.com/2005-2006-2007-Ford-Freestar-Freestyle-Odo-Repair-p/ford_freest_repair.htm

04 05 06 07 FORD FREESTAR CLUSTER SPEEDOMETER REPAIR SERVICE

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Talking to a transmission guy ,a bad cluster won't cause the transmission to not change gears.Thanks a lot for your response and information I noted it .

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I won't take it in ,will cost to much .will look for a newer van and scrap this one in the wrecking yard .I don't want to spend $500 or $1000 on a 2005 .sooner put the cash towards a newer van if I can't fix it.

·
Super Moderator
19,430 Posts
I keep forgetting about the transmission problem . May be you have at least two seperate faults .As you say , could end up a money pit to repair . Assume you have checked the simple things like trans fluid level and colour / condition ?.

·
Super Moderator
833 Posts
Did you check the big connector at the ecu? How about the smart junction box? Both are known problems with those vintage Freestars.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ya that was done by the dealer on the torque converter recall .They replaced the torque changed the fluid .Went by an electric expert he wasn't sure either .said it could cost some big bucks to find out .He said best to put those dollars on a newer van.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
yes had the ecu completely out and took it apart ,checked all the board with a high power magnifier glass .Smart box? will look into that where ever it is.never heard of a smart junction box.will look on the net find out where it is,Thanks

·
Super Moderator
833 Posts
It might be referred to as a bcu, body control module. Its similar to what the 05+ mustangs had and theyre known for their odd issues after water intrusion as well.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts