Ford Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
400 kg ego
6,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been browsing through my archive of pictures, with a focus on the intake systems used by the pros, particularly those with forced induction... and the results have been startling. By far the most common air intake location is behind the headlight in the engine bay, usually the right headlight in the case of turbo sixes.

I have compiled a picture of various pod filter air intakes on modified Falcons to illustrate the point. I might add that there were even more pictures of similar setups that I could have included. The pod filters are circled in yellow for clarity.

Small pic: http://ford.i8.com/tmp/intakes.jpg
Large pic: http://ford.i8.com/tmp/intakes_large.jpg

Anyway, my idea involves relocating the battery and drawing air from behind the front bumper on both sides (ie cutting a hole on each side) via 2 pod filters, with piping into a central box connected to the inlet manifold. The reason I am hesitating is that no one seems to have gone down this path, and I can't think why.

Any opinions appreciated!

·
Registered
847 Posts
Maybe they just couldnt be bothered with the extra hassle of battery relocation. I say go for it, it will be unique and surely will look the goods.

6pAc.

·
known as tibbo
2,033 Posts
i have thought of this the only downside i could see was that one would be running over the extractors..So moving the battery, custom plumbing and box, heat wrap for the induction pipe and headers and 2 good pods would be a few $$$ Didn't really seem warranted on my old crapper.. I thought as an afterthought a bonnet vent with the sheild around that incolrporating the pod would have been more viable but now the cars painted i can't be stuffed cutting and welding on my fresh bonnet

·
LET EM' RIPPP
1,819 Posts
JT I would have done it a while ago but as you know, there is noo way i'll fit a battery in my boot.

Sounds like a good little project. Be sure to make up a nice heat shield!

Keep us posted.
Simon

·
Registered
278 Posts
Why not custom fit a VL-VS commodore air box in the existing position and since they feed air from bottom to top. Drill 100mm hole through bottom and run pipe down under gaurd. I have seen this done on many commodores and alot of performance shops do the mod for about $100. It looks professional and if done correctly you will get alot higher gains then using a XH snorkel which in my opinion doesn't do shit. I'm pretty sure if somebody was to do a dyno run before and after with the XH snorkel there would be no gain, but if you did a commodore intake you would get atleast 5% gain.

cheers JJJ

·
Village Idiot
2,526 Posts
I've been browsing through my archive of pictures, with a focus on the intake systems used by the pros, particularly those with forced induction... and the results have been startling. By far the most common air intake location is behind the headlight in the engine bay, usually the right headlight in the case of turbo sixes
They probably figured the intercoolers would cool down the air enough anyway??

What u said sounds all right.

Cant quite picture jjjs setup atm but

·
Registered
7,505 Posts
i think even HOTDBZ has it mounted behind the right headlight.
the setup you're considering sounds familiar, i'm sure i've seen a car with that sort of setup before, i just can't remember what it was.
It was a damaged car at the auctions so it was clear as day, could have been a nissan of some sort?

·
400 kg ego
6,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Cheers guys, I'll give it a go when I have time and get back to you with results.

I could easily get my hands on a VS air box, but I think there may be less gains. I already have an XH snorkel and can't say it blew me away. ;)

·
XR Wannabee
461 Posts
Why use a VS airbox? Whats wrong with an EF one, they draw air from the bottom and are apparantly one of the best factory flowing airbox's around.

·
BA'o'Matic 100% working.
3,838 Posts
The EF air box is highest flowing airbox, the filter makes about 2% difference to airflow, so with a K&N would be as good as it gets.

Jason

·
Registered
7,505 Posts
Kenaz said:
Could've been a 300ZX. They have an airbox on both sides of the engine bay, behind each headlight.
thats the one!
the interior was ripped out and panels taken off so it was clear as day where the pod filters were, looked like a really efffective setup :)

·
Lamahs approve of manuals
1,382 Posts
Is it just me ? None of those seem to have heat shields, or separation from the engine bay . . .

I suspect that the twin setup proposed probably isn't done due to the minimal gains VS cost and effort involved . . . I think 1 pod / panel with a reasonable CAI should do the trick nicely. Anything more is probably overkill, and not achieving much (the rest of the system is probably more of an issue first).

!gn!t!on looked like he did a reasonable job on the EL (thread in general tech about it)

·
XR Wannabee
461 Posts
I'd have to agree with XR8 Lamah... would be alot effort for what I would think would be a barely noticable gain over your normal CAI, single air box and panel filter'd car.

But if its more for the sake of being original then go for it.

·
BA'o'Matic 100% working.
3,838 Posts
But it would look really cool though

·
{';'}
4,345 Posts
Jack, looks like you're progressing very nicely on the EA (at least your ideas).

I can't really help with your query, but I have one myself.

It was only today I realised that most (if not, all) Ford Falcon I6s that are turboed have the air intake on the driver's side... I don't know much, so bare with me people! Now I would have assumed that it would be on the opposite side where the original air intake is. How does that work? Does the air still enter the same spot on the engine (passenger side) where the original air box connects to the throttle body? I'm confused!

Good luck Jack :thup:

·
400 kg ego
6,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Cheers XRated. :thup: The intakes are on the driver's side because that is where the exhaust manifold and turbos are - the air travels through piping to the inlet manifold with boost!! :wtf2:

Anyway, just an update. I've removed my battery/charger and started taking apart the interior. I'll be doing a few things at once - wiring for my parkers, subwoofer cabling, underfloor insulation and battery relocation. /me will be busy for quite some time. :sad:

Cheers everyone for the opinions. I realise this is overkill on a stock engine, but I may have already scored myself a snail-looking thing that will solve that problem. :ihi:

·
pR()rN_*
1,966 Posts
Very cool Jack.
Battery relocation is a pretty easy job just make sure you have some good guage wire and mount it safe from harm.
I havn't don't it to my car yet because I won't need to till I have the snail and the manifold made up but I've done it on a mates car and it's pretty simple.
Battery boxes are around $50 and make sure it's correctly secured in the boot or Mr Plod will not be happy.

·
{';'}
4,345 Posts
large_trout said:
Cheers XRated. :thup: The intakes are on the driver's side because that is where the exhaust manifold and turbos are - the air travels through piping to the inlet manifold with boost!! :wtf2:
Okay... ?! Thanks for your reply, but it still doesn't make sense to me! <- I'm with Stupid, well actually, I am Stupid :p I realise the turbo is located on that side, but why not the other? When you say, "the air travels through piping to the inlet manifold with boost!!", do you mean the piping goes right around to the opposite side (ie. from driver's side to passenger's side) to where the original air intake system is located?

Judging by your avatar, you have exactly the same goal as me! That is my aspiration for my current Falcon. Although I would like to do it without a snail for the time-being... Probably not likely, but I'm allowed to dream!

I wish I had a spare car so I could work on my Falcon. I'd love to do things like sound-insulate the floor and tidy things up etc. You lucky man!

Good work!

·
Village Idiot
2,526 Posts
The turbo is mounted on the exhaust manifold to make the turines spin.
When the turbines spin, it causes fresh ait to be pulled throgh the turbo ond forces it through some pipes into the engine. And as teh turbos need fresh air (through a filter) the pods are on the same side as the turbos, for ease really.
You could put em back on the other side, but that would rrequire some fat ass pipes runnig over yor engine

1 - 20 of 30 Posts