Ford Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I changed the oil on a EF V8 just last week and it was like a black sludge. When i put the new filter and wew oil in the pressure was good again but now the oil is becoming all black again. What could be the cause of this? How do i check my PCV system is working?

·
boosted sleeper
4,560 Posts
It will probably take a couple of oil changes for the colour of the oil to look clean straight away. Usually when oil has turned black and sludgey is when people dont do regular oil changes and leave the same oil in there for months on end, sometimes up to 50,000k's :nonono: That is not good practice if you want your motor to last.

You can get additives that get rid of most of the black oil, but its usually best to use it before you do your oil change. Ive heard of people using cheap non brand name oils to chuck in for a couple k's or so to help condition the inside of the motor again, then change the oil and put decent stuff in.

·
Two SC 61's = trouble
6,360 Posts
If the oil at some time has been left in alittle long..It gets real black..The new oil which has detergents in it to clean engine is doing its job..
Change oil a few times see if it improves ???
Generaly the pcv valve should have slight spring presure on it.If concerned replace it they are not expensive or clean it...Engine oil getting dirty quick is a sign the rings are tired and have some blowby...

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have a BA XR8 29000k, has had 5 oil changes in that time and the oil has gone black after only 5000k since new........why???????

Have complained to both dealer and direct to Ford, not getting much in the way of answers, can anyone offer an explanation.

·
Two SC 61's = trouble
6,360 Posts
yep the oil is doing its job detergents are cleaning inside engine..what oil is being used.. you can go synthetic now.. it should be cleaner with it...

·
Registered
453 Posts
be carefull using deisel oil, could block the cats, thats what i was told by bp, so i decided not to run it, was gonna work out a lot cheaper if i could though.

·
Two SC 61's = trouble
6,360 Posts
eb2flyz said:
be carefull using deisel oil, could block the cats, thats what i was told by bp, so i decided not to run it, was gonna work out a lot cheaper if i could though.

I doubt it alot of places use this type of oil through there whole fleet...

·
Registered
256 Posts
Diesel oil has more detergents in it then petrol engine oil. If you use it in old engines it can affect compression I'm told because it washes away carbon build up on rings. Could be wrong but it sounds right

·
Registered
453 Posts
more of a precaution, as i said i was told this by some one at bp, so i'm not running it for the incase scenario.

·
When 2 T3s are not enough
1,934 Posts
ebxr8240 said:
yep the oil is doing its job detergents are cleaning inside engine..what oil is being used.. you can go synthetic now.. it should be cleaner with it...
How much cleaning dose a new XR8 need? Its new! the thing has got blowby thats why the oil is going black.......

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
eb2flyz said:
more of a precaution, as i said i was told this by some one at bp, so i'm not running it for the incase scenario.

I emailed Penrite, and they said its sweet to use for a few thousand k's. I had it in for 6000k's... Otherwise I wouldnt have used it.

·
Two SC 61's = trouble
6,360 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,722 Posts
Black looking oil is not a problem in itself. The traditional test which still seems to work is to wipe the dipstick on your hand and if after rubbing your hands together it leaves black marks or residue in the fine lines (fingerprints etc) of your hand it needs changing. Good oil will be like baby oil and leave you with clean oily skin (but it may not be good for the skin).

·
Operation E-Series Hoon™
1,466 Posts
1 - 15 of 15 Posts