Ford Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Vintage F-100 Member
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone can explain why I have a black smoke at idle only. My truck has I-6, 300 cid engine.
Hamid.

·
Grand Muckety Muck
710 Posts
Are you smelling gas(more than normal) while idiling? You may be running a bit rich at idle.

·
Vintage F-100 Member
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Trey:
Thanks for replying........ I can see that black smoke rather than smelling it. It is not very bad but it means somthing not wright in the carb. Do you know how to get red of that smoke.
Hamid.

·
Mark VII Member
47 Posts
You may have a sticky choke. It could also be that your choke thermostat is getting weaker with age and running the truck richer.First take some carb cleaner and give all the linkages on the sides of the carb a good bath. Maybe they are sticking. Than after the truck is completly warmed up check to see if the choke is wide open like it should be. If it is partly closed you may have to adjust it. How does the truck run when cold? I guess I should have asked what year you have . It will make a big differance.

·
Vintage F-100 Member
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Mark:
What do you mean by (how does the truck run when cold)?, it runs ok except the the black smoke. the truck is 66 Ford F100 with I-6, 300 cid, 1 brl carb Ford, manual choke.
Hamid.

·
Mark VII Member
47 Posts
I am sorry .i found your post during a search for new post that day. I thought you had a automatic choke and that was the problem. I will try to pay more attention to what car or truck owner I am talking to. Sorry to have butted in . I am not with the 1 barrel. On a Motorcraft 2 barrel they have a power valve screwed into the bottom of the bowl. When that goes bad it can bleed a little gas in to the engine all the time. At idle this sometimes shows up as black smoke. Going down the road the engine just burns it and the only thing you can see than is reduced gas milage.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts