Ford Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Mustang Member
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 85 Mustang 5.0 Convertible, and this morning, when I fired it up to go to work, it seemed to be running okay, but the stereo illumination was flashing on and off and the rpm guage was jumping around 6k rpm(even though the engine was at a mild idle). It did this for about 30 seconds, then all just went black. No power at all, no matter what I did with the key in the ignition. Then, when I decided to get out and push the car back into the garage and take my other car, the lights came back on and everything worked normally. I was able to start it back up and go to work, although with a certain amount of nervousness, without incident. Is there such a thing as an automotive exorcist I could call to remove this demon playing with my mind?
ANY input to calm my mind and help me know what to check on the car would be appreciated. My peace of mind is at stake!

·
Grand Muckety Muck
710 Posts
The alternator would not be the problem if it's reading 13.7 volts at the battery while running.

Though it does sound like a fuse problem...check all fuses and make sure that none are blown. Also, check out your battery cables, and make sure they are in good condition.

Other than that, you may be getting some wires crossed somewhere. Ugh.

·
Registered
6 Posts
blackout

Hey guys, I was just voiceing my opinion about this situatuon. I would appreciate it if there wasn't any smart alek answers posted on here. Nobody is perfect, thank you very much. UGH.

·
Grand Muckety Muck
710 Posts
Re: blackout

93MustangLX said:
Hey guys, I was just voiceing my opinion about this situatuon. I would appreciate it if there wasn't any smart alek answers posted on here. Nobody is perfect, thank you very much. UGH.
Dude, I know you were voicing your opinion. That's great, kudos to you for speaking up. But just because it was incorrect and I pointed that out doesn't mean you need to take it personal. Geez, I wasn't stepping on your toes man, just trying to narrow down the number of possible problems the guy has with his car.

If you have another idea as to what it may be, please feel free to help him/us out. Thanks.

Besides, If I wanted to post a smart assed answer, I would not have done it in a seroius thread. Thank YOU very much.

Now back to the origional question...how's them fuses lookin?

·
Mark VII Member
47 Posts
I agree that it could be the ignition switch. When mine went bad it did all sorts of strange things.I know that the switches put in Mark VII's were defective. They would sometimes start a fire. I do not know if your car has the same defective switch but, you may want to look into that just in case.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts