Ford Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Fords biggest Freak
663 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Broke the drivers side handle recently and I replaced with another one. Only, when I go to open the door, something is pulling the lock down just enough so that I cannot open the door without holding the lock up or sticking the key in and turning it at the same time. It opens up from the inside perfecetly. So I'm thinking that perhaps it could be the rod hitting something inside?

Anybody know a fiox for this... without buying a whole new mechanism?

·
Falcon 2.. Ferrari 0 hehe
1,290 Posts
there is al ittle spring in the mechanism that comes off, and that happens, if you can find it, and find a way to put it back on, go for it, other than that, get a new mech....

·
Crazed Cone Chaser
2,524 Posts
i've never seen them come off, only seen them break.

fix: buy new mechanism

·
Fords biggest Freak
663 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It opens up from the inside perfectly though... so it has to be linked to the outer handle somehow?

·
NON TURBO XF....
240 Posts
it is all linked together as mine does the same cause the spring looks to have stretched a little...i plan on fixing it while i'm putting in the ef handles.

·
XF 250 4.1 XFLOW TURBO
974 Posts
freak i got no clue on your problem maybe you guys can help me get my door open it doesn't open from the inside or out so i pulled the trim off and it all seams to be workin fine i am thinling the striker maybe stuck or something can anyone help me

·
i pity tha fool
1,040 Posts
good old XFs.. they've got doors so strong the door handles break.

·
Registered
31 Posts
dont worry your not the only person out there with these problems its happened to me lots of times. There are a number of things which contribute to this problem.
1. In the door hinges there are little rubber bushes. When these bushes where out the door drops about 3mm but this is enough to put the door out of alighnment.

2. Inside the door all of the locking mechanisms start to jam up and need freeing up again. A little bit of WD40 and working the moving parts from the inside out will do the trick.

3. The main cause of this problem is inside the door there are metal rods about 20-30cm long which push and pull the lock up and down. The stupid thing is when they desighned these rods they put a little bend in them. Over time this bend slightly straightens out and lengthens the metal rod. This stops the lock from being pushed up all the way. If you take the rod out and put a bend in it again to shorten it, it will fix the problem.

Im about to do this again to my drivers door cause the exact same thing has happened to me again.

Hope this helps

·
Fords biggest Freak
663 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I shattered my last handle. the front piece of the handle was fine, but the inside was in about 5 different pieces.

·
XF 250 4.1 XFLOW TURBO
974 Posts
yeah i just used a lot of WD40 and it opened but when i opened it the latch on the outside was stuffed so i replaced it and now it works fine but now i only have electric window problems we have checked all the motors and they work fine so where thinkin maybe in the wiring somewhere but or something but anyone got any ideas

ps thanks tombstone42

·
Fords biggest Freak
663 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
My doors all fixed now. I replaced the mechanism inside that all the rods connected to. There is so much difference in it now. It opens so easy. took me 2 and a half hours to work it all out, but it would only take an hour if you knew what you were doing. Unfortuanetely, my local Ford dealer charged me $45 for the part.

·
kickerinthegutsbarry
568 Posts
An hour,
pfft, I used to do them in about 15 minutes when we used to do them all the time.You've done the best thing though freak, the only way to fix them properly is to put in a new lock.To check if the bushes are getting worn (the root of any xd-xf door handle problems) open the door slightly and grab it at the bottom rear and try to lift it up and down, if it lifts any you're bush's are stuffed ( a telltale sign is if the doors hitting the piller when you try and close it).

If the bushs are stuffed buy new bush's from ford (not sure how much, but very cheep) ,remove the door/s. On xg/xh's there is a circlip on the pin in that runs verticaly through the two peices of hinge ,and holds them together. Remove the circlip and hit through the pin to change the bush's.

On earlier cars (xd-f) you will need an angle grinder to grind down the head of the pin as there is no circlip.Once done it is the same as xg/h other than when refitting the pin, use a centre punch or chisle to burr the end of the pin once it is back in the hinge, to stop it from pulling through where you ground down the head.

If you can help it don't take you're hinges off the car, as this will make it very difficult to re alining the door.

I hope this helps anyone with stuffed hinges on their early girls.

Cheers ant

·
XF 250 4.1 XFLOW TURBO
974 Posts
yeah i just had to do my drivers side door for roadworthy it cost me $22 for 4 bushes, 2 clips and 2 hinge pins and about 20 minutes. i took me door off as it is easier to get the angle grinder in there but realigning the door isn't hard taked about 2 minutes just put ya door back on but don't don't do it up all the way so u can move it and when its in the right place tighten the bolts up

·
Fords biggest Freak
663 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I've never had problems with the door's dropping, I've only broken 1 handle and had to replace 1 mechanism. And I've had 2 different XF's in the past 3 years. Lucky me I guess.

·
kickerinthegutsbarry
568 Posts
Freak said:
I've never had problems with the door's dropping, I've only broken 1 handle and had to replace 1 mechanism. And I've had 2 different XF's in the past 3 years. Lucky me I guess.
Very lucky you I reckon, I've had to do haeps at work over the years,and the longer their left the worse they get.I've fixed heaps of cracked doors,some that were nearly ready to fall off.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Can anyone tell me if there is a difference between the front and rear door handles?

Ive just spent a good part of my afternoon installing the rear handle and the connecting rod from the handle doesnt REACH! Ive compared the left and right rear doors and they look different in the spring mech. Are they different?

Pete

·
XF 250 4.1 XFLOW TURBO
974 Posts
i think there might be somethin different because the packs they come in say RHF, RHR, LHF, LHR or somethin like that but they are specific to each door so i am goin to say yes

·
Falcon 2.. Ferrari 0 hehe
1,290 Posts
difference is:
front handles, the back part of the handle, where the bar goes to the door mech on one end of the middle pivot point, is the bar, the other end is where the external handle thing presses

rear, they are both on the same side, as the back is kinda like a v shape

·
Registered
364 Posts
Fluck. Now i have to buy another door handle for the rear and install again. Thanks guys.

Im a bit of a pro at these door handles now though :) Bet those holdon guys dont have a clue whats inside their doors and how to work on them (which is actually a good thing i spose).

1 - 20 of 33 Posts