Ford Forums banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Nitrous Junkie
Joined
·
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi peoples, long time no visit. I'm interested in feedback from genuine people who are running the SBF Blue Thunder heads... Curious to see what flow figures have been achieved out there, and also any hp figures or 1/4 mile slips.

PM'ing is fine, and please no bagging, or dreamers. ;)

My reasons will become clear in the next few weeks.

-Dave.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
82 Posts
DJS351XD said:
Hi peoples, long time no visit. I'm interested in feedback from genuine people who are running the SBF Blue Thunder heads... Curious to see what flow figures have been achieved out there, and also any hp figures or 1/4 mile slips.

PM'ing is fine, and please no bagging, or dreamers. ;)

My reasons will become clear in the next few weeks.

-Dave.
Do you actually have a set or are you considering buying some?Trying to get any type of info on them is difficult as they are not widely used.Probably because they are recommened to be used with a 4.125 bore and greater.I've got a set that I picked up reasonably cheap from the states but am just sitting on them for now.What combo are you thinking about?
 

·
Nitrous Junkie
Joined
·
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've got a set already... Also got them out of the US at a very good price. ;) Going by the photo's yours look like 50cc chambers in the 4.3" port... You planning on running Pro-Stock?

I've got the smaller versions, which will suit my intentions a bit better, and also easier to source a manifold for. Final combo isn't finalised, but will end up in the region of 450ci.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
34 Posts
Jay Goodwin

Menace Capri.

Runs Blue Thunders with twin HP Holley's on sheet metal intake and as of the last time I seen him he had said it was making 836hp natural from 418 cubes.
8.6 AT 154MPH
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
82 Posts
DJS351XD said:
I've got a set already... Also got them out of the US at a very good price. ;) Going by the photo's yours look like 50cc chambers in the 4.3" port... You planning on running Pro-Stock?

I've got the smaller versions, which will suit my intentions a bit better, and also easier to source a manifold for. Final combo isn't finalised, but will end up in the region of 450ci.
Picked up a Victor manifold cheap also.Almost perfectly port matched already.Need to run manifold adaptors for tall deck which is not a big deal.Looking at 417ci.Can you post a pick of the smaller versions.I've never seen them
 

·
351 XE on LPG
Joined
·
743 Posts
DJS351XD said:
I've got a set already... Also got them out of the US at a very good price. ;) Going by the photo's yours look like 50cc chambers in the 4.3" port... You planning on running Pro-Stock?

I've got the smaller versions, which will suit my intentions a bit better, and also easier to source a manifold for. Final combo isn't finalised, but will end up in the region of 450ci.
how do you make a 450 Cleveland ? Must be a very special block.
 

·
Nitrous Junkie
Joined
·
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Dart Iron Eagle. I was originally going to use a 9.200" deck height, however there was a mixup in the order so I'm now getting the 9.5 instead. Canted valve head and 2.750" mains, its as much Clevo is it is Windsor or even Chev.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
272 Posts
yeah they sure do, sump, front cover, water pump, dizzy, etc.

The beauty of the 9.5 block is you can take it out to 460.
 

·
Approach with caution.
Joined
·
1,043 Posts
azza said:
Do all the dart blocks still use windsor accesories? regardless of deck height.
AZZA
Most stuff is interchangable between Clevo and windsor because the bolt paterns are the same, apart form internals the shape of the water pump and timing cover is about the only practical difference.
 

·
Nitrous Junkie
Joined
·
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Currently we've got 380cfm @ 32" at 0.750" lift. That's without touching the runners themselves and only minor work to the short turn. Secret to these heads seems to be in the seats/combustion chambers. Looking into ways increase the mid lift flow, which while adequate atm, I'd like a little more.

Exhausts need some more work though, especially in the mid range.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
272 Posts
4Vman said:
Most stuff is interchangable between Clevo and windsor because the bolt paterns are the same, apart form internals the shape of the water pump and timing cover is about the only practical difference.
sump, water pump, dizzy, front cover, there's a fair difference, everything is different but they share head bolt pattern.

all dart blocks use windsor camshaft, but typically you'd get them with clevo mains, so you can use SVO cranks, so you could say you'd be using clevo crank and heads, windsor block and accesories, with chev rods and pins, a real bitsa.
 

·
Nitrous Junkie
Joined
·
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
LTD351V2 said:
...so you could say you'd be using clevo crank and heads, windsor block and accesories, with chev rods and pins, a real bitsa.
Yep exactly, hence why I said its as much Clevo as it is Windsor as it is Chev. :) At least there'll be no Holden components in it. :D
 

·
Nitrous Junkie
Joined
·
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks Pete,

It should be a goer... in a lot of respects it will be similar to your new combo, but with a few different components. Be interesting to see how the Blue Thunders compare to the CHI's, atm we've got more intake flow than we need, but with exhaust flow we currently have should see us make 700-740 normally aspirated.

If we can get it to hook up we should get the old 'D down in the mid nines and approx 140 mph. Then the nitrous. :)
 

·
BLOWNXD
Joined
·
429 Posts
Sounds like its going to be a killer, were hoping for the same sort of results have had a few hold ups but were finally getting into now, theres a heap of fast cars coming out next season especially in the N/A class its going to be interesting. ;)
 

·
351 XE on LPG
Joined
·
743 Posts
DJS351XD said:
Dart Iron Eagle. I was originally going to use a 9.200" deck height, however there was a mixup in the order so I'm now getting the 9.5 instead. Canted valve head and 2.750" mains, its as much Clevo is it is Windsor or even Chev.
It may be a bitsa, but I can't help but be impressed.

I presume the Blue Thunders roughly resemble the flow characteristics of a iron 4V with exhaust ports shaved off and replaced with alloy high port plates?

A 9.5” block would have to be pretty wide. Plus when you consider the higher exhaust ports, it must be a bit of a pain trying to fit custom extractors into the XD? (Glad you’re not trying to shoehorn it into an XR-Y's engine bay)

Who makes intake manifolds for such a big beast, or do you need to fabricate your own?

Could a big single Dominator be able to feed all those cubes at revs or would you need to go duals?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
82 Posts
Rhett said:
It may be a bitsa, but I can't help but be impressed.

I presume the Blue Thunders roughly resemble the flow characteristics of a iron 4V with exhaust ports shaved off and replaced with alloy high port plates?

A 9.5” block would have to be pretty wide. Plus when you consider the higher exhaust ports, it must be a bit of a pain trying to fit custom extractors into the XD? (Glad you’re not trying to shoehorn it into an XR-Y's engine bay)

Who makes intake manifolds for such a big beast, or do you need to fabricate your own?

Could a big single Dominator be able to feed all those cubes at revs or would you need to go duals?


They flow similar to a Yates style head and you can use a Ford motorsport manifold or and Edelbrock Victor.Blue Thunder also make one.Check it out.It's 2 piece so it can be pulled apart for easy porting not that it looks like it will need any.Nice piece of kit anyway.
 
1 - 20 of 43 Posts
Top