Ford Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
wasting money on cars
611 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
can anyone tell me where to get a bmc airfilter for my baxr8 ute in sydney. how much it is and if they really work that good as i never heard of this brand.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Any autobahn should be able to order it for you, but it is $150 or more, and a k&n filter is $130 ( basically the same but a little cheaper ) and is also available at Autobahn stores. I dont think there is any noticable difference between the two ( maybe 1 or 2kW ) so whatever you can get
(a) easily;
(b) within budget

would be your best bet
Choice is yours...

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
Stick with the paper filter.

If you use an oiled filter, at least get an oil analysis done and see how much extra dirt is getting into the engine. (Will show up in oil analysis as raised silicon levels).

Also check your MAF wires regularly for build up of crud, this will affect performance and negate any dubious advantage of running an oiled filter.

cheers

·
GO THE BOSS
21 Posts
b.m.c filter are the best filter you can get. paper filters don't give air good flow and fuel eocnomy. just make sure you don't over oil it when you clean it because it will make less air flow then the paper filter would. i get 70k more out of a tank with the B.M.C.filter. and better throttle response. :wnc:

Attachments

·
Banned
363 Posts
TopGhia said:

If you use an oiled filter, at least get an oil analysis done and see how much extra dirt is getting into the engine. (Will show up in oil analysis as raised silicon levels).

Also check your MAF wires regularly for build up of crud, this will affect performance and negate any dubious advantage of running an oiled filter.

cheers
MAF, we are talking BA here, it doesn't have that problem

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
BAXR8 doesn't have a MAF?. Please enlighten me, what does it use to meter air flow into the engine.

cheers

·
X-DM!!
1,114 Posts
TopGhia said:

cheers
Surely these filters would be safe to use if maintained properly. eg don't use compressed air to clean them etc.

Have you had a bad experience with one?

·
Registered
364 Posts
You can get them from thompson Ford or from myself but they are $180.00 not $150.00

Elmer Fudd

·
Registered
2,784 Posts
dicast
give hardiman auto supplies a call

regards
rod

·
Registered
336 Posts
rod c said:
Surely these filters would be safe to use if maintained properly. eg don't use compressed air to clean them etc.

Have you had a bad experience with one?
Yeah I used air (once)...

Then started asking questions about how one cleans BMC filters.

My FORD dealer .... scratching his head "dunno, compressed air probably"....

Thank you FF... I am now the proud owner of a cleaning kit....

·
wasting money on cars
611 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
this may sound dumb but if something goes wrong with my engine will ford still cover me or is it alright to use aftermarket airfilters/cold air induction???

·
X-DM!!
1,114 Posts
dicast said:
this may sound dumb but if something goes wrong with my engine will ford still cover me or is it alright to use aftermarket airfilters/cold air induction???
I was talking to Barry Batten tonite and he said Ford endorse the use of K&N filters, they can't be that bad.

·
Registered
1,944 Posts

·
Rip Up The Track Join OFR
6,021 Posts
BMC filter is the go with a K&N cleaning kit ($28), BMC cleaning kit ($44)

·
X-DM!!
1,114 Posts

·
Registered
364 Posts
Who won the most advanced motor racing scene(F1) in the world 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003 ?
Ferrari !
What air filter do they use and recommmend?
BMC !
It will treat you as you treat it
dont clean it often and it will bite you
over oil it and it will bite you.

Elmer Fudd

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
TopGhia said:
BAXR8 doesn't have a MAF?. Please enlighten me, what does it use to meter air flow into the engine.

cheers
The BA's use a Manifold Absolute Pressure sensor (MAP). It uses the sensor in the manifold to record the air pressure which allows it to measure how much are is being used and then calculates how much fuel is needed to add to it.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts