Ford Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With all years and models thrown togather, how is the very slow response time for advice from more than a few replies with helpfull experience, being helpfull in reasonable amount of time often taking many days and weeks.
One liners and short replies are of very little help to most inexperienced owners so they go elsewhere looking for help.
If the board were to be broken down in some reasonable grouping, the activity would be much higher, more usefull and visited more often.
I help on about 4 other boards and none of them are set up like this one.
If there is a reason, that's fine.
Just looking for why, to advance my knowledge.
I find I can't help anyone because there often is no feedback on a continiuing issue to help them sort out anything.
Good luck.

·
Super Moderator
19,414 Posts
Cant agree with you on various counts . I 'm on different sites also and find the response times have improved on here over the last few years making it just as good as other sites .One liners or short replies are usually adequate for most posters who have a basic grasp of motor mechanics .Links and walkthroughs are often supplied also to help where possible.I have found that supplying too much info to the inexperienced can be a dangerous thing , often resulting in more damage than good . It would be impossible to give a step by step reply to all posters and time consuming also .I'm afraid my days of teaching apprentices and others are long gone .We give honest suggestions , guidance , based on experience as a step in the right direction to solving their problems .I have often seen them ask questions about replies that shows they haven't a clue and shouldn't be working or repairing cars at all . I think the repeat posters and grateful members who thank us with their updates , verifies there is not a lot wrong with this site , but no one is perfect .

P.s
I'm sure any valid and good suggestions would be welcomed and looked at .

·
Administrator
8,167 Posts
Hi Bluegrass. I agree with you on the layout, I don't care for it much and have thought about breaking those sections into different groups. Maybe groups of Cars, Trucks, SUV's, Crossovers ect with individual categories for each. The problem is, those sections have been combined for so long, some since 2001, it would take months, maybe years to sort through those combined sections and move each post to the correct new location.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Feedback is important so we know if we are of help otherwise it's waist of time offering a reply.
I come to the board several times a day but leave with nothing going on.
These trucks are very expensive to pay the bill on from a dealer for simple issues that sometimes the dealer service does not satisfy a problem on.
I fully understand and can read between the lines when an owner has no clue by the way the original post is composed.
Iv'e seaw about every kind of attitude imaginable come accross from posters.
A major issue with many is the misinterpetation of codes.
This causes them to throw money at things that have no part in the root cause of the code hopeing to get lucky and end up asking anyway and spending twice as much in the end not to mention the frustration level.
I am one of the few who will take the time to explain operations related to codes in a most basic way.
90% of the time it's understood and helpfull.
It even insults some people.
To cut everybody short for those who can't use advice is a misuse of a board funtion, for the greater good.
I have been at this a long time and given advice all over the world on about very kind of auto subject from race engines to modern Ford fuel injection from back as far as 1985.
I have one car in the early 70s with a 302 retrofitted from carburation to Mass Air fuel injection.
This board stands out in such a away that it caused me to bring up the subject.
So it will be what it will be.
Thanks for allowing me to ask.
Good luck.

·
Super Moderator
19,414 Posts
Good to have you helping on the forum , your help is always appreciated .Like you I have been doing this for a long time also and have over 50yrs experience in various capacities in the motor trade .Likewise Bert has even more experience than I , as do many other members trying to help on the forum . All help out and advise in whatever way they can , some more experienced in different fields than others , which is benefical .I dont know what formula you use to work out your replies "90% of the time it's understood and helpfull." which could be taken as a slight on other members but I'm sure other members have a similar ratio if not greater.I still fail to see how you can claim the board has a "very slow response time " .There may be many occasions when people logged in dont have the answers to certain posts as , in my case , often happens .

·
Always the student
1,739 Posts
Wellllll, a lot could be said here and definitely some differences too. I've been here for awhile, but rarely post, but I am on here every day. There is good and bad with this forum, but the bad is not bad (sounds stupid I know) I feel there is a small "core" of regulars that post here. Some seem to be a little more specialized in certain areas and seem to stay in those areas. This site (since I've been a member) doesn't seem to be much for BS, until Logan came on board. Believe me, I don't mean that in a negative way Logan, (or anyone else). By BS, I just mean sort of what the Pub forum is for... just non automotive chit chat type of stuff that can be fun and entertaining, it just doesn''t happen here much.

Seems like most of the posts are kinda short and to the point, hopefully solve the problem, and move on. One of the many things I like here is the lack of DRAMA. I've been a member of some other forums and good lord at the drama, fighting and such. For me, sometimes the "one post wonders" annoy me. They come on here and any other forum they can stumble upon, post their question and never return. Meanwhile, someone may have taken the time for a somewhat lengthy response, only to be ignnored. There is a handful of old farts with a lot of experience on here with good advice and that is why I continue to stay here.

As for myself, I am far from being a mechanic, but I am not stupid, but have been known to do stupid things before lol! For what it's worth this is the only automotive forum that I visit anymore. Over all I think response time is usually pretty good, but compared to some other forums would be considered slow, but I think it is worth the wait.
Last but not least.... Bluegrass, it is good to have you on board and I hope you plan to stick around. Logan, I recommended you as a mod a long time ago (or so it seems) and glad they chose to add you and that you have accepted and added a lot to this forum.

·
Administrator
4,991 Posts
Feedback is important so we know if we are of help otherwise it's waist of time offering a reply.
I come to the board several times a day but leave with nothing going on.
These trucks are very expensive to pay the bill on from a dealer for simple issues that sometimes the dealer service does not satisfy a problem on.
I fully understand and can read between the lines when an owner has no clue by the way the original post is composed.
Iv'e seaw about every kind of attitude imaginable come accross from posters.
A major issue with many is the misinterpetation of codes.
This causes them to throw money at things that have no part in the root cause of the code hopeing to get lucky and end up asking anyway and spending twice as much in the end not to mention the frustration level.
I am one of the few who will take the time to explain operations related to codes in a most basic way.
90% of the time it's understood and helpfull.
It even insults some people.
To cut everybody short for those who can't use advice is a misuse of a board funtion, for the greater good.
I have been at this a long time and given advice all over the world on about very kind of auto subject from race engines to modern Ford fuel injection from back as far as 1985.
I have one car in the early 70s with a 302 retrofitted from carburation to Mass Air fuel injection.
This board stands out in such a away that it caused me to bring up the subject.
So it will be what it will be.
Thanks for allowing me to ask.
Good luck.
Your help here is much appreciated Bluegrass as is with all the members here and any suggestions to make the forum better are always looked at.
Some suggestions are extremely difficult or impossible to implement and some maybe are not what are wanted but all are taken on board and discussed or thought about.
Some years back the makes and models were broken down into more areas but as Ford has many global platforms and models it made the front page huge so over time they were combined. Some models are the same apart from the model name so there was also duplication.
We are always trying to find the layout that works best for most and within what we are able to do with the board.

There is an incredible amount of extremely good information on this forum that has been built up over quite a few years.

·
Super Moderator
19,414 Posts
From the head Bull******* , " old fart " and one of " The Wise Guys " club , good to see The Pub remains the most popular section of the forum by far .

·
Always the student
1,739 Posts
X2^^
I think most of us regulars are old farts, that is where the wisdom comes from.
The pub is the most entertaing forum!!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Seriously, I wish they would speed the time up on their responses. I stopped coming on here for a while because it's hard to get an answer.

·
Administrator
8,167 Posts
Seriously, I wish they would speed the time up on their responses. I stopped coming on here for a while because it's hard to get an answer.
Well Prrew! You joined the forum on 7/24/14. You posted your greeting 7:18PM and had a welcome reply at 7:34pm.

On 7/26/14 you replied to a post that had no activity in over 2 months with "Aw man that sucks. i hope that it gets better".

On 8/20/14 you replied to a post that had no activity in 3 1/2 years with "hmm good question. I hope the engine you chose will work the way you want!"

Just like this post, you answer something that's well over a year old with a reply that doesn't amount to a hill of beans! Also I haven't seen anywhere that you've even asked a question on this forum.

As far as I'm concerned, you haven't earned the right to piss and moan about the response times or anything else on this forum. In the meantime you can troll quietly and keep your worthless forum post and your opinions to yourself.

·
Always the student
1,739 Posts
Well JKWO, it did take you over an hour to reply to his post. Considering how much you get paid to post here..... enough said!
hahahahaha

1 - 19 of 19 Posts