Ford Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
anyone with a 2004 5.4 L ford f-150, listen up. installing a 77 series K&N intake, throttle body space, and a programmer drastically improved gas mileage, horsepower, and throttle response. if you are interedted in improving your new f-150, that is what you want to do.

· Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Torcher said:
what kind of gains did you get? like how much better mileage. how much horsepower gain?
my gas mileage went up about 3 to 4 miles a gallon and my horsepower increased by about 10 hp. i also have a programmer, which helps a lot. i would deffinatly recommend it. my torgue also increased. if you have any more questions just let me know.

· Registered
3 Posts
skyhigh4x4 said:
my gas mileage went up about 3 to 4 miles a gallon and my horsepower increased by about 10 hp. i also have a programmer, which helps a lot. i would deffinatly recommend it. my torgue also increased. if you have any more questions just let me know.
I have just purchased a 2006 f-150 5.4l and I am wondering about the k&n against airraid and volant, with your k&n installion is it just the open box system, or do you have a tube going down to your front grill helping feed more forced air into it and what type of programmer did you get, I have never really messed with on before, so I am wondering if the break it down for you. thankx

· Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
STUNTIN50x said:
will the same mods benefit the 4.6L as well?

yes it will work with a 4.6. a friend of mine has a 97 f-150 4x4 with 4.6 k&n intake, throttle body spacer, and 4.56 gears. all of those mod to his truck made all the difference in the world. for the 4.6 motor i would recommend a diablo programmer. let me know how it turns out.

· Registered
6 Posts
thanks for the advice, i bought the 4.6 to save on fuel cuz my neighbor has the 5.4 in the same truck as me and his mileage wasn't what i was looking for...i am impressed with the 4.6 but would like to amp it up a little..

· Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
STUNTIN50x said:
thanks for the advice, i bought the 4.6 to save on fuel cuz my neighbor has the 5.4 in the same truck as me and his mileage wasn't what i was looking for...i am impressed with the 4.6 but would like to amp it up a little..
like i said if u have the money for all the mods i mentioned that really helped him out, seriously. he has strait pipes im not sure what other kinds of exhaust would sounds good. i personally like straits or flows either one is good.

· Registered
148 Posts
Yes, that's my point. With all things being the same, a larger engine should get less MPG than a smaller one. I asked a similar question in a different part of the forum. My wife's is a 2004 5.4, mine is a 1999 4.6. They have obviously made changes to the engine over time, and I'd like to know just what they are. Of course, when making comparisons, you must also take into consideration final drive gear-ratio.

· Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
redneckf150 said:
Yes, that's my point. With all things being the same, a larger engine should get less MPG than a smaller one. I asked a similar question in a different part of the forum. My wife's is a 2004 5.4, mine is a 1999 4.6. They have obviously made changes to the engine over time, and I'd like to know just what they are. Of course, when making comparisons, you must also take into consideration final drive gear-ratio.
i have stock 3:73 gears in mine.

· Registered
148 Posts
Mine has 3:55, my wife's has 3:73. Mine is a '99, hers is a '03. Mine is 4.6, hers is 5.4. She consistently gets 5 mpg more than mine, and has MUCH more pickup than mine! They have obviously made some changes over the years and I would like to know what they are. Their motors have been rated with better HP and MPG each consecutive year. :shh:

· Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
redneckf150 said:
Mine has 3:55, my wife's has 3:73. Mine is a '99, hers is a '03. Mine is 4.6, hers is 5.4. She consistently gets 5 mpg more than mine, and has MUCH more pickup than mine! They have obviously made some changes over the years and I would like to know what they are. Their motors have been rated with better HP and MPG each consecutive year. :shh:
though ford has made some significant motor changes in the past few years, the power wise (like off the line) does not compare to a z71. those are quick trucks. i get about 13.5 city mph with 35 inch tires. to answer your question, i do not know what changes for has done to their motors recently. i am impressed though.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.