Ford Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Vintage Mustang Member
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 72 F100 with a 302 and can get a 351 but don't know if the bolt pattern is the same or if the input shaft is the same.. Some fill me in please.

Mike

·
Capri Member
6 Posts
302 VS 351

302 and 351W have the same bellhousing bolt pattern. Same motor mounts if swapping same year. What exactly are you trying to do? Swap 351 for 302? post me a message and I'll try to help. Dan

·
Vintage Mustang Member
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Bolt patterns

I have a 72 F100 it came with a 302 and have the option to get a 351 but no tranny.. Mounts arent a problem can get them almost anywhere here but not so sure bout the bolt pattern and tranny input shaft compatibility. So now I am one down one to go. since you answered my ? about the bolt pattern.

Mike

·
Capri Member
6 Posts
I'm going to assume you have a standard trans in the truck behind the 302. I know automatics were/are the same if the flywheel is balanced for the engine. Standards hmm. Time to get out your micrometer and measure the input shaft bearing on the 302 and the one on the 351. I'd assume the clutch plate should match,but you could remove it and slide it on the input shaft, compare the 302's and the 351's before installing. If the clutch on the 351 isn't correct I would assume you could find the correct at an auto part store, as Ford used both trannys behind both engines and visa versa. good luck in your swap. Dan

·
Vintage Mustang Member
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Bolt Patterns

It is an automatic, anyway thank you for the help. I havent been able to get info anywhere else do to working hours.

Mike

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
About this Discussion
4 Replies
2 Participants
Mykeystoy
Ford Forums
Ford Forum is a community to discuss all things Ford. Check out our discussions on the Ford Escape, Mustang, Edge, F-150, Raptor, Explorer, Focus, Fusion, Fiesta and more!
Full Forum Listing