Ford Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Bring Back Jeff Kennet
2,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now I now this might seem a bit ricey but let me explain. My mate has a 1992 (pretty sure) liberty RS and it obviously has a bonnet scoop. Now subaru being (from factory) not so ricey company, the scoop serves a purpose, feeding air straight into the filter.

SO I had an idea that I would purchase a xr8 sequintial boonet scoop (not sure if you guys remember it, a gold coloured xr8 at the MMS a few years back). All I want is one scoop just above the airbox to flow more air in. I would then get someone to make some sort of "tunnel" so that when the boonet is shut the walls fit snuggly into/onto the top of the airbox.

The airbox would have a hole cut in the top of it..not sure of exact sizes yet though.

What do you guys think? I want to make my falcon look different but not bve ricey and have goofey crap that does nothing. Ive looked everywhere for this damn scoop but ot no avail.

I dont want an EL/EF XR scoop as they look like they only exract air from the bay. Well thats my guess anyway. Does anyone know where I can get a sequintial scoop from?

Will this idea work? It sounds good in theory to me. Can I have the traditional CAI setup as well as the scoop or will it make the intake snorkel usless? Whiel I would be at it I would wack on a XH snorkel on as ive heard you guys going on about them for ages now.

·
Bring Back Jeff Kennet
2,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Often has bolts left over
848 Posts
nope. I'm saying thats what the e-series sequential scoops have problems with. i dont know anything about suburus.

·
Registered
84 Posts
only problem is the air box feed air from the bottom of the box through the filter and out of the back at the top.... this setup would bypass the filter...

·
feed me hey
4,692 Posts
The WRX/Liberty/Legacy scoops actually are for the top mount intercooler.

It would be interesting to see if this made any gains. I'd thought about this one a couple of times. If anything it would make a bit of noise on the outside of the car. There was a guy in Brisbane I think that mounted an old skool shaker type thing and ran a big flxi pipe to the airbox. Apparently whn it got some speed up it really helped the car go. Obviously it had a big ram air effect. As a side note, I've actually got a pic of a red EA S with a Subie scoop mounted on the bonnet. It didnt look as bad as I thought it would!

·
Often has bolts left over
848 Posts
I thought it was for the intercooler! i didnt want to say that and look silly though.

·
Bring Back Jeff Kennet
2,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
AHHH!! everytime I go to click on the fordmods shop it asks me to put in my username and password..I do that and it wont let me get to it...

ive used two accounts and still wont work...

I read a thread on the sequential scoop and modded airbox but they haven't actually said that they are available..or I cant read it!

http://forums.fordmods.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=938&highlight=sequential

Is it happening to anyone else?

·
Bring Back Jeff Kennet
2,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
NZ said:
The WRX/Liberty/Legacy scoops actually are for the top mount intercooler.
yeah but its still the same kind of thinking as a snorkel. My idea (not that Im the first obviously to think about it) would be from the bonnet straight then straight onto the top of the filter...not bypassing anything. So you would have the snorkel and the scoop.

·
Looking in YOUR bathroom.
3,287 Posts
Using the XR8 Sequential scoop on the airbox will loose power as air will be pushed out of it rather than into the airbox as airflow from the stock inlet will push air out. Also on an EF/L box this will feed air into the wrong side of the box. Also problems with water will also then come into effect.

If you like the look of one, mabey one on each side with ducts to cool the brakes, Oil cooler or something else?

·
pR()rN_*
1,966 Posts
not a good idea I'm afraid.
1: As said it will suck in water unless you port it to the same location in the current air box the normal pipe goes to.
2: The WRX vent is for the cooler and this doesn't matter if it gets water on it as water absorbs 4 times as much heat as air.
3: Defect waiting to happen because if you hit some person you could split them open on the scoop this is why all front open scoops are illegal (cept those fitted by company's that manage to get past the ADR's (aka subaru)

I like the idea of a bonnet vent fitted at the front of the bonnet aka the ones found on the VT malloo UTES.
This would allow better heat extraction from the radiator.

·
Sweeet
63 Posts
This will work

you buy the modded airbox lid, you buy either the xr6/xr8 bonnet vents or the fodmods scoops, you mod your airbox output for a 3inch pipe, connect up a mandrel bent 3" pipe to it, wack your pod filter inside the airbox and bobs ur uncle

as for water maybe you could cut a hole in the bottom and put mesh or something over it so that it lets water out the bottom

·
400 kg ego
6,188 Posts
About the XH snorkel, I did this mod, only to read that it apparently does nothing. Oh well, just another $40 down the drain.

·
Lamahs approve of manuals
1,382 Posts
You can buy em, not sure about effectiveness. Rec'd the following mail when I enquired a month or so back:
"Hi
yes the scoops are still available and now I sell more then just a passenger scoop.

Attached you can find a pic with all the stuff for sale.
The price for the scoop alone is $95 complete with mesh and bolts.
For the scoop and the airbox lid I charge $165 (the box can be ordered without the top hole cutout..it will just replace the existing lid, "for the looks")
And for the complete package 2 scoops and air box lid $230
If its a standard paint I can Paint it in acrylic ( $80 for the lot)
If you're from Sydney, I can supply and fit it on site as well. (cost's extra 50)"

Umm . . his email was [email protected]

Picture is attached....

Oh yeah, you'd need to run a pod or something.... Could end up a very expensive adventure, with limited gain (apart from asthetics)

Attachments

·
feed me hey
4,692 Posts
FoMoCo4eva said:
yeah but its still the same kind of thinking as a snorkel.
Not really, the air used by the engine is actually drawn from somewhere else. The air going in the ' snorkle' aka scoop cools the air going through the intercooler and leaves via the bottom of the car i beleive.

·
Bring Back Jeff Kennet
2,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
NZ said:
Not really, the air used by the engine is actually drawn from somewhere else. The air going in the ' snorkle' aka scoop cools the air going through the intercooler and leaves via the bottom of the car i beleive.
ok im confused..are we talking about the same thing?...scoop = bonnet vent, snorkel = factory fitted CAI.

Hey XR8 Lamah...so that is whta they were talking about on fordmods? I want a modded airbox lid to fit an EA mpfi....

About ADR's.....how can ford get away with putting vents/scoops on and when we do it, exactly like factory it becomes defictable?? load of crap that is.

·
Bring Back Jeff Kennet
2,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Ok ill throw something else in too, what is the BEST CAI setup I can have that doesn't cost the earth for my 88 Ghia?

No BS..none of this "my mates brother shadow has got a fully sick setup"...what have you guys got and what is recommended.

I know there are heaps of posts about this but in most people just ramble on about nothing. So if you have done somehting that is factory looking then please spill the beans.

Cheers

·
feed me hey
4,692 Posts
Scoop = air entering.
Vent = Air exiting.

I was just pointing out that the Liberty setup, the scoop isnt the air intake for the engine.

·
89 DA LTD 3.9MPI
116 Posts
Can't you just hook up a normal pod-style filter to replace the entire air-box etc? Then duct some air from behind the front bar to the pod using insulated tubing or whatever. Water isn't a problem since you're protected by the front bar.

Work on fifty million jap ricers with EFI, and -does- give noticeable gains.

..or am I missing something here (as usual) :p

·
400 kg ego
6,188 Posts
Yep cenithx that would be the way to go.

Scott Hart also devised a system where water comes in behind the trailing edge of the bonnet where the wipers are, though I'm not sure how good this would be on a road car.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts