Ford Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
593 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Someone out there might have an idea ...

I have a Borg Warner diff in my XF with stock 2.77 gears. I'm looking at upgrading to 3.3 or 3.5 (is that right? or is it 3.35?). Anyway, will the Borg Warner handle it? I know everyone runs a 9 inch, and that's the way to go, but financially, all I can do at the moment is change the ratio. My mechanic reckons the Borg Warner's strong enough, and he's never heard of one breaking. What do you people think?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,544 Posts
If you plan to go drag racing or drop heaps of burnouts on a regular basis then consider seriously upgrading to a 9". I take it your XF is V8? Borg Warners are pretty strong (much better than holden Banjo, is that Bang-go;)) but they aren't meant to take torture.
 
X

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Hi Carolyn,

Yes a 2 pinion borgy is fine if you don't do burnouts or change gears hard.(hence I blew the **** out of mine..giggle)

Your best bet is to find a 4 pinion LSD from an ex cop XE. May be difficult to find but mind bogglingly strong. Remember to get a 2.92 or lower diff because the 2.77 carrier cannot accept any lower gears than 2.77(large 2.77 pinion reqired offset carrier)
A 2.92 carrier can accept the lower 3.23,3.5,3.7,3.9,4.1 gears

Do you know if your diff has 25 or 28 spline axles? There are XF's with 4 pinion diffs which are 28 spline.
The 4pinion V8 diffs are 28 spline. 2 pinion are 25spline.
From memory EA up borgies are all 28spline but I'm not sure if there was carrier redesign that means you can't use them in earlier diff housings.

Pete.
 

·
Aussie Falcon Enthusiast
Joined
·
478 Posts
Speaking of Borg warner diffs does anyone know if its possible to do a swap to 31 spline axles for an ED LSD setup? I want to retain the Watts linkage and standard geometry so no 9" conversions.
 

·
Crazed Cone Chaser
Joined
·
2,524 Posts
All Open wheelers were 2 pin, and LSD came in both 2 and 4 pin.

So the book says anyway.

Where would I find out if a later model diff carrier will fit into an XF diff housing?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,316 Posts
carolyn said:
. My mechanic reckons the Borg Warner's strong enough, and he's never heard of one breaking. What do you people think?
\
dunno about XF's but I broke 4 BW diffs and snapped an axle in a 302 XB many moons ago ... ended up getting a 9 inch to save time more than anything else!
 

·
Crazed Cone Chaser
Joined
·
2,524 Posts
I have heard from many places that the 4-pin BW Diff is actually very strong, apparently the difference between a 2-pin and a 4-pin diff is huge.

I was thinking about getting a carrier from an EA/B/D if they fit.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
593 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks everyone for your replies and advice. Yes, I will be doing some drag racing and a few burnouts (if I can cope with picking the rubber off my guards!), so I think I'll go the 9 inch and be done with it.

I've got access to a nine inch with 3.7 (is that right?) gears. Is this going to be too much for highway cruising, which is predominately what I'll be doing? What will the strain on the motor and the economy be like?

And yes, it is a V8!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,544 Posts
3.7 will be pretty low for the highway, fuel economy will be sh*t. Good for burnouts and drasgs though!:nuts: Maybe you can consider buying another centre, say a 3.00:1 or 3.25:1 and use this one for your cruising around and when you go racing swap them over. Reasonably easy job except the 9" centre is so damn heavy.
 
X

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
carolyn said:
Thanks everyone for your replies and advice. Yes, I will be doing some drag racing and a few burnouts (if I can cope with picking the rubber off my guards!), so I think I'll go the 9 inch and be done with it.

I've got access to a nine inch with 3.7 (is that right?) gears. Is this going to be too much for highway cruising, which is predominately what I'll be doing? What will the strain on the motor and the economy be like?

And yes, it is a V8!
Yep it'll give you the ****s after a while..of course I'm assuming you have a 1:1 top gear? If you have an Over drive It would be just about perfect.
In the end it depends on your engine though. If it's hot enough it may actually be beneficial to rev it higher. What's your combo?

Ive emailed a little program to you that is useful for working out a few different things including rpm at what speed/gear ratio etc.

If anyone else wants it I'll forward to you too.

Pete.
 
X

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
anakha said:
Speaking of Borg warner diffs does anyone know if its possible to do a swap to 31 spline axles for an ED LSD setup? I want to retain the Watts linkage and standard geometry so no 9" conversions.
I don't think you can get 31 slpine side gears for borgies.
The 28 spline axles you have will be strong enough for your 302.
You can retain the watts linkage with a 9" conversion too.

Pete.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,386 Posts
XR9UTE said:


Ive emailed a little program to you that is useful for working out a few different things including rpm at what speed/gear ratio etc.

If anyone else wants it I'll forward to you too.

Pete.
Hey Pete, do you reckon i can get a copy of that program. Cheers ol fella.

[email protected]
 

·
Pursuit Reincarnation Dog
Joined
·
7,777 Posts
I like the Borg Warner and used one in my VL Turbo circuit racer (BIG horsepower) with no failures. Also, you can get Hydratrak in the BW diff! Way good.
 

·
Crazed Cone Chaser
Joined
·
2,524 Posts
Can you explain this Hydratrak to me?

I have heard of it but dont know what it is.

The first thing that comes to mind is that its some sort of different LSD.
 

·
Australian Falcon Member
Joined
·
865 Posts
Yeah, I'd appreciate some detail on how it works and exactly how well it works (if you know what I mean) - I've been warned to stay right away from Hydratrak but regularly hear reasonably good things - could be a good option for me because I've reached the point with my engine that traction on corners and in wet is becomming an issue.
 

·
300+rwkw DC LTD Member
Joined
·
1,622 Posts
I know this way down the thread but, I went through 3 Borg warner 2.92 diffs in my XE wagon. Keeping in mind it was a 250ci with an auto. I didn't do burnouts or anything.


FYI


Maybe it's the weight because my sedan has a 3.23 borgy and it hasn't gone yet! Oh and that car sees burn outs, 'cause it can!!! (It too it a 250ci with auto)

IMO I'd never put a Borgy behind a V8.
 

·
T5 Expert Operator
Joined
·
6,540 Posts
Falchoon said:
3.7 will be pretty low for the highway, fuel economy will be sh*t. Good for burnouts and drasgs though!:nuts: Maybe you can consider buying another centre, say a 3.00:1 or 3.25:1 and use this one for your cruising around and when you go racing swap them over. Reasonably easy job except the 9" centre is so damn heavy.
Yeah i agree it'd be a bugger at highway cruise, as a guide if you put a 3.45:1 at 100km/h the motor will turn around 2250rpm so if you put a 3.7 i'd be nearing 2750rpm basically it'd be like driving in 4th gear in my car. But i't will jack rabbit of the lights. All a compromise i guess.
 
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Top