Ford Forums banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey All,

Recently had a full herrod system and k&n filter fitted to my pursuit ute (#227), the engine always had a slight ticking noise to it since new which i assumed was normal. The guys at Redcliffe Dyno that fitted all the gear pointed out that it was excessively noisy (the noisiest they had worked on) and now that I am listening for it I have to agree. It's quiet on start up but as soon as it gets warm the ticking gets louder. Their suggestion is to run a different oil, but first port of call is to take it to the dealer so they can record that the noise is there in case of warranty claims down the track. Now FPV are on holidays, so no answer from them when the dealer called until next week. They've tested the oil pressure etc and all seems ok, they even said it could be something that works it's way out in time. (not really ok with that explanation).. anyway, just wanted to find out if anyone else has experienced a similar noise.. Oh they also pointed out when the exhaust was fitted that the steering rack was loose and there were bolts connecting all the wiring to the starter to motor, but no nuts on the other end! :(

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Charliewool, thanks for the tip.. I found the thread and had a read, will wait to hear what FPV have to say when the dealer gets in touch and then will mention the tensioners.. will post up a reply when I have some news..

·
X-DM!!
1,114 Posts
My XR8 ute has a tappet noise some mornings on cold starts, mentioned it to Ford they said a lot of them do it which I think is BS for a new vehicle.

·
Registered
610 Posts
I did notice mine was ticking a bit louder the other night, but after driving it like a granny for a while it seemed to go away. I was listening to GTP 200s car idleing last night and it seemed to be ticking loud as well. Let us know what Ford have to say about it. Until then bring on series 3, they might have them all right by then.

·
Registered
695 Posts
what engine oil are you guys using?

summer gets pretty hot these days. slightly thicker oil may do the trick?

·
Registered
760 Posts
my is ticking as well,
its going in this monday for a check, have done just under 13000ks its started to make the ticking sound 2 weeks ago, as charlie said cam chain tensioners, spoke to service they said they would need to hear the noise first before they do any thing about it, they want it there for 3 days.

·
Registered
674 Posts
I would think a certain amount of valvetrain noise should be present, Remembering 4 cams, 32 valves, chain drive (Lotsa moving bits)... Reading back to your original post, yours doesn't seem to have the classic tensioner symptoms? (noise normally goes as soon as they re-pressurise) I assume valve clearances are adjustable... Maybe just needs that done?

·
Registered
20 Posts
What is the frequency of the tick? If it is the timing chain, expect it to be around 3 - 5Hz at idle. Corresponding to one complete revolution of the chain. I have a similar noise but only on the first few minutes when cold.
Hope it isn't too bad

Anthony

·
When 2 T3s are not enough
1,934 Posts
Gee im glad I did'nt buy a BA!!! What a problem child there turning out to be....

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
Take it from me they are a great car the BA is definately the best car made by Ford and although there might be a few hiccups along the way as with any new model,they will be rectified as they appear.We should all be proud of the product produced by Ford the BA can hold its head up high for the future with it's technology and design concept.
Cheers John

·
Registered
301 Posts
GTP 320 said:
Take it from me they are a great car the BA is definately the best car made by Ford and although there might be a few hiccups along the way as with any new model,they will be rectified as they appear.We should all be proud of the product produced by Ford the BA can hold its head up high for the future with it's technology and design concept.
Cheers John
Yeah Ditto.

Here's my 2c worth -

They're a great car overall. The fact is that they're a new platform/engine, so unforseen things are gonna happen.

If you want something that has endless engineering hours and dollars thrown at it to sort out every little thing prior to it being sold, go and buy a BMW/Merc/Porsche/Ferrari etc - with the associated price tag!

Bottom line is that we all (well me anyway) bought a BA GT/GTP because of the great performance vs price equation.

If you really don't want the niggles that come with a "first" series, wait for series 2 & 3 or go and blow $150+K on a M3 or better.

Having just migrated from the dark side (although always been a Ford person deep down), I can tell you that life on this side of the fence is definitely greener, even with some minor problems - which thankfully mine is relatively free of!!

·
X-DM!!
1,114 Posts
Ditto again, I think you will always get people that will be harsh on something new especially when they are trying to justify themselves after buying a previous model.

·
Registered
760 Posts
i had a m3 for 4 years, great car i loved it, as i suffer for performance anxiety, the adrenaline i get behind a boss 290 is much harder for much longer.
given the controversy by some on this forum,what can one buy for around 60k to keep up with the top performance cars over the 250k mark? FPV have the answer.
the most remarkable thing the GT has it does not disguise the look and power, if you have got it show it baby!!!

·
1,934 Posts
rod c said:
Ditto again, I think you will always get people that will be harsh on something new especially when they are trying to justify themselves after buying a previous model.
Yeh right Im really disappointed about buying a TE, not one warranty claim, no oil burning, no broken driveshafts, no twisted tailshafts, no oil leaks, Etc Etc Etc Oh yeh Im really trying to justify buying a TE thats for sure, I spose im the lucky one..

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
Not having a go at you (sbutler) but you can also get the occasional problems too with T-Series and others can be fine like my GT except for the alarm no big deal,as a previous T-Series owner i had a few minor issues but they were fixed and they are a great car but the GT's are in a class of their own.But it's good to see that we are all passionate about our Fords.
Cheers John

·
1,934 Posts
GTP 320 said:
Not having a go at you (sbutler) but you can also get the occasional problems too with T-Series and others can be fine like my GT except for the alarm no big deal,as a previous T-Series owner i had a few minor issues but they were fixed and they are a great car but the GT's are in a class of their own.But it's good to see that we are all passionate about our Fords.
Cheers John
No probs mate, all I was saying was there seems to be a lot of major problems with the BAs that were not there with the AU, all the little problems are par for the couse with any car GO FORD

·
X-DM!!
1,114 Posts
sbutler said:
Yeh right Im really disappointed about buying a TE, not one warranty claim, no oil burning, no broken driveshafts, no twisted tailshafts, no oil leaks, Etc Etc Etc Oh yeh Im really trying to justify buying a TE thats for sure, I spose im the lucky one..
As long as your happy with it mate, that's the main thing.

·
Registered
301 Posts
sbutler said:
No probs mate, all I was saying was there seems to be a lot of major problems with the BAs that were not there with the AU, all the little problems are par for the couse with any car GO FORD
Major problems??? Well each of us has his or her interpretation of what is or isn't minor/major. As for these problems not existing in the AU, well you're right! But.....the AU also doesn't have a quad cam, 4 valve per cylinder engine that's a relatively new platform. The Windsor platform that your T series engine is based on has had the benefit of around 30+ years of development, with at least 10 of those years being Fuel Injected. The Windsor platform was exploited to its development potential (as far as a manufacturer is concerned), and we've now moved on. The next generation engine, our Boss engines, is a relative "babe in arms" by comparison, so things like rings not bedding in on "run-in", a bit of valve train noise etc etc should not be entirely unexpected. It's a bit of a stretch of the imagination to say that the BAs have major problems I believe.

·
1,934 Posts
Engine swaps are pretty major arn't they? quit a few cars on oil watch, I would concider this pretty major, a blinker not working is minor, This all stinks of the gen 3 thing that holden are going on with, and its just not teething probs,I know Ford are fixing all these things things pretty fast but my point is that they should not be happning,There is no way I would bag the BA it is truly a cut above the rest, even more so in the FPV range but have a look at APs car thats not teething probs, I have done many very fast Ks in a BA GT & as I said somwere before "it is the best Ford I have driven by a long shot" Ford need to get on top of this or we are going to the ones getting s%it put on us by all the Holden mob the way we have been giving it to then all this time.....

1 - 20 of 65 Posts