Ford Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Having just purchased a 200L drum of the good stuff, the car runs cooler, goes a HEAP faster and idles better. Wish we could buy this stuff at the bowser..

Highly recommend anyone with a strong 351 currently using PULP and compromising their tuning to go try some higher octane fuel and put your timing where it should be..

·
Slurry Boostin
1,211 Posts
Any BP outlet can get it no probs.

It is a great fuel. Very clean I liked. And pretty much guaranteed rating :)

·
Registered
992 Posts
Sorry guys, but this is one of those myths i mentioned in the winge thread.

Race fuel will actually lose you power. You only make power by running more compression or timing or boost that the octane allows.

The MINIMUM octane that your engine will handle gives the most power....

·
Slurry Boostin
1,211 Posts
There is no myth. If I can run 4 degrees more timing from the better fuel, that equals 18 more rwkw also, so it is better.

But I know what you are saying, better fuel doesn't = more power. Better fuel = more oportunity to create more power by ways of tuning differently, if that makes sense :)

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Racer said:
Sorry guys, but this is one of those myths i mentioned in the winge thread.

Race fuel will actually lose you power. You only make power by running more compression or timing or boost that the octane allows.

The MINIMUM octane that your engine will handle gives the most power....
Racer I can't see how any fuel of a higher octane will actually lose power. Totally disagree. If you don't need the octane then the worst you will experience is no gains, but certainly no drop in power.

I've installed an MSD timing control also, and am dialling up my timing to what the fuel is allowing. Probably about an extra 5deg over what I could run before on PULP, and the results are phenomenal.

I'm putting the cooler running and smoother idle down to it just being a better / purer fuel, and nothing to do with the octane increase.

Cost me $400, after I settle down a bit will run it 50:50.

·
Slurry Boostin
1,211 Posts
Just to ad to above, BP100 is different to avgas also.

I believe BP100 has a rating of 105.... or is it 108?

Can't remember. anyone like to correct?

·
RIP Sox.....
2,580 Posts
I know what 'Racer' is saying, sort of.
Let's say a given engine has say 10:1 CR and runs say 36deg total, if it runs fine on 98RON fuel and doesn't detonate, then moving to a higher octane fuel will achieve nothing.
If said engine pinged on 98RON fuel and needed it's timing retarded 4deg from the optimum 36deg, then in this case moving to BP100 will yield better performance because you could then advance timing to the optimum 36deg without detonation.

Going over and above the octane which the engine needs to run at peak performance/timing, can lead to decreased performance in some cases.
The performance loss is to do with fuel densitys.

Rick.

·
Slurry Boostin
1,211 Posts
As I said, if the engine needs it, better fuel ALLOWS for better performance.

It doesn't just magically go better after tipping in rocket fuel. :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
A couple of points:-
The octane rating of BP100 is 100 (hence the name).
Running a higher octane than you need can lose performance as "Racer" said. Reason being that one of the ways the race fuel makers suppress detonation is to slow the burn rate of the fuel.
But, if the engine needs more timing and the fuel allows that - you will make more power.
BIG BUT - the fines for running leaded fuel on the street are horrendous if you get caught. Ditto for whoever sold it to you. :fraz:

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Guys I understand that racing fuel has different burn rates, calorific value and density than pump grade fuel. These other factors also affect performance.

But as per my original post, what I've found is that my 378 Clevo just loves this BP100 stuff!! Advantages all round. And I would suggest anyone with a healthy 351 would also.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
This site by BP Technical is good...

http://www.bp.com.au/fuelnews/PET0605.pdf

Basically BP100 refers to a MON number of 100, the RON number is actually 110. Note that BP Ultimate 98 has a MON number of 87 and a RON number of 98.

So the BP100 is not 2 octane point higher than the best PULP, but 13 points higher.

I've worked out that at a 50% mix with BP Ultimate 98 I will get a RON of 104...

·
Slurry Boostin
1,211 Posts
Yeh very interesting figures even though they are approximate.

When I bought my BP100 the BP rep said it was guaranteed 108 RON (I just rang him to check again) so the tables figure of 110 RON is fairly generous I spose.

Good link though STROKEXD :)

One question, is snyone trying to make the point that more power cannot be made with higher quality/octane rating fuel?

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
TTNOS8 the recommended comp ratio column is interesting, sighting max compression for Ultimate 98 as 10:1 (subject to their comments).

I've got about 11:1, so explains why I've been chasing my tail with getting my car to run well with PULP.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Racer is right.
My cleveland made 6hp LESS on straight Avgas than 50:50 mix of Avgas and Optimax and no amount of increased timing would change that. That was on a engine dyno not a GAY chassis dyno.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
slaves wage. Two points come to mind. Perhaps you could have fiddled with your mixtures as AVGAS has different density than PULP.

and the other, BP100 isn't AVGAS.

·
Registered
651 Posts
Has anybody tried mixing toluene/methyl benzine with optimax/ultimate?

I have, with mixed results. Using a 10% toluene 90% optimax in my v6 telstar I (And the non car head girlfriend) noticed alot better throttle response,smoother idle,outside of that I would hate to see what its doing to O2 sensors etc

In my 347,a slightly better throttle response....mmmmm love the smell.

Its 100% legal,its a common additive used to increase fuel octane ratings.

As for cost I buy it for $32 for 20litres.

Bp states every 5% gives approx 1 octane increase to a given fuel.

·
Whats traction?
2,197 Posts
TTNOS8 said:
One question, is snyone trying to make the point that more power cannot be made with higher quality/octane rating fuel?
I think what they are trying to say is a higher octance fuel *in the wrong engine* won't make any more power and in some cases may cost power due to the make up of the fuel.

That said, if your engine is being detuned to run pump fuel then there is always going to be gains made when tuned to the right fuel...

1 - 20 of 37 Posts