Ford Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When wet, my right hand rear brake will lock up. What should i check out?
I'm running drums at the back.

·
Registered
340 Posts
There's a couple of things that can cause your rear brakes to lock up. The first and most obvious is that it's time for a brake job. If the drums are out of round or if the shoes are worn they can lock up like that.

Another possible cause is a wheel cylinder leaking. Brake fluid on the linings will cause the brakes to lock up. Pull the tire and drum and take a look.

Your '89 should have rear anti-lock. There's no proportioning valve back there but the abs electro-hydraulic valve controls the balance between front and rear brake pressure. When braking hard, you should not let off the pedal if you have ABS. The ABS system won't work if you let off the pedal when it goes "squishy."

Good luck!

Brian

EDIT: Fixed typos!

·
97 F-150 XL 4x4
799 Posts
yea 89 my first guess would be that the wheel cylinder is leakin fluid which becomes sticky when absorbed by the brake linings.
secondly it might just be adjusted a little to tight which will reguire you to actually see how hard the wheel turns by hand and see if the lining is dragging.
if so then simply loosen it slightly and see what happens.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
351w said:
yea 89 my first guess would be that the wheel cylinder is leakin fluid which becomes sticky when absorbed by the brake linings.
secondly it might just be adjusted a little to tight which will reguire you to actually see how hard the wheel turns by hand and see if the lining is dragging.
if so then simply loosen it slightly and see what happens.
If i lift one wheel, will the wheel be harder to turn because of the limited slip. I've never understood LS.

·
97 F-150 XL 4x4
799 Posts
yea you will need to lift both wheels and put the trans in the nuetral plane or it will have resistance while you are turning it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts