Ford Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
i read alot about the brake shudder problem i was wondering is it because people are driving xrs to hard i have noticed some of the posts that some people are taking there cars to track days them type of events are killers for brakes these falcons are not track cars they are road cars with a few look flashy bits on them any comments

·
EF XR6 MANUAL
101 Posts
usally its because the disc rotors are warped. you can get them machined or if they are too thin you have to get new ones. this was my experience anyway.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I dont think its the driver because my mrs drives slower than my granny and she drives a ba fairmont and her car has break shuder. but it may have something to do about braking harder than normal and the car being heavier. It is a ford problem as all people do drive differently and a performance car should handel a performance driver if u know what i mean.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I've just started to get brake shudder in my BA XR and it was on a family trip to Sydney. No heavy braking or anything like that you can pin it to, all perfectly normal country/city driving. Seems to be a problem with a lot of BA's. I thought someone said on the forums that Ford now has a proper fix for it?

Daniel

·
Australian BA XR6 Falcon
1,249 Posts
The problem is common regardless of driving style and/or model and more than likely is disk thickness variation rather than warpage.

I've had mine machined 3 times in about 13,000k's, on the third machining the dealer installed a shim kit (which is part of the TSB) and so far no further warpage @ 17,000k's.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
well as far as i no i am on original rotars, (the car when new was my dads company car, so they may have been changed) we have owned it since 140k, and the rotars havent been changed, and i have no shuddering at all.

its done 213,000k's

they only squeek when they are cold.

·
I am The Brain
3,073 Posts
DanielXR8 said:
I thought someone said on the forums that Ford now has a proper fix for it?
In my brother-in-law's case, not so. He has the self skimming thing fixed to his brakes after his XR6 went in for brake shudder a second time. Now the shudder is coming back again. It is bloody annoying that Ford can't fix this. I think I will suggest to him that he should get them to put new pads on next time...I am guessing that they would fall under warranty and that he wouldn't have to pay, but I am not sure.

It is unacceptable.

But in answer to your theory bosco, I believe he does drive the car reasonably hard, not speeding off at the lights at every chance he gets and then braking hard at the next lights, but still does take off reasonably quickly.

·
Blue Blood
1,375 Posts
My car has had a fairly hard 25,000km. Club events and such, and the 18" Dunlop SP9000 are needing replacement.

I've got the standard taxi pack brakes and apart from wear of the pads, the discs are still in very good condition and the braking is still quite adequate. When I replace the pads soon, i'm guessing that braking will come back to near new condition.

The biggest problem with track days is that the BA falcon weighs sooo damn much and repeated laps stopping from around 200km/h is not something that the standard or even premium brake system were designed for. Perhaps the Brembos on the GT would fair better, but you just can't think that a 1800kg car is suitable for track work.

·
I am The Brain
3,073 Posts
Oh, and just so you know, my bro-in-law hasn't been to any track days at all, so he doesn't fit into that criteria.

·
Lamahs approve of manuals
1,382 Posts
I know someone with a XR6-t. Same problem - heading back soonish for another attempt at a fix (altho word is that the rotors are up for replacement this time round - been machined too much already).
He gives it a punt, but nothing extraordinary. I think its pretty well documented as a general problem the BA's have, fatties that they are :)

·
Registered
244 Posts
bosco said:
i read alot about the brake shudder problem i was wondering is it because people are driving xrs to hard i have noticed some of the posts that some people are taking there cars to track days them type of events are killers for brakes these falcons are not track cars they are road cars with a few look flashy bits on them any comments
I'd have to agree with that comment from personal experience. Although my XR8 Ute started getting brake shudder under normal breaking conditions, since the problem was rectified(?) it now suffers brake shudder under warp-speed on a track.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts