Ford Forums banner

Who has brake squeal?

• Only have standard brakes

Votes: 23 69.7%
  • Have upgraded brake package (Premium, FPV or Brembo) and they're fine

Votes: 3 9.1%
  • Have upgraded brake package (Premium, FPV or Brembo) and have developed brake squeal

Votes: 7 21.2%
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I would like to see how many people are having issues with brakes squealing to use this information when talking to the people at Ford, FPV and PBR.

·
Banned
421 Posts
to me the squeal is even more annoying than the shudder!

·
Bourbon powered V8
4,751 Posts
I have DBA slotteds and have some brake squeal (AU XR6)

·
Team Galaxy Try Hard
550 Posts
I've got standard brakes on an AU XR6, and mine squeals like a pig occasionally at low speeds, and its mainly when brakes arent applied!!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The problem is worse than I thought.... should modify the poll to make it more specific for each model/brake type...

·
Registered
86 Posts
had a little brake squeal for first 5000 k's or so, seems to have dissapeared now.
Brake shudder is whats pissing me off.
Going in for 15000 tommorow hopefully can be rectified, discs were machined already at 7000.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I have an XR8 with Optional Premiums and they squeal when used normally (lightly). Mentioned it to tech at the first (1000k? can't remember) inspection and they changed the pads, and it went away for a few weeks, but came back. Thing is, my previous XR8(AUII) with Premiums never made a sound...

Mind you, I'll have the squeals any day in return for the additional stopping power... Most high performance brake packages are prone to squealing, I believe.

·
Rip Up The Track Join OFR
6,021 Posts
I have had various cars where the brakes squealed, thought it was the type of pad used...I think that when your pads wear out don’t use Ford ones try a different brand and the squeal might be gone. When I put Ford pads on my AU messy brake dust every ware all the time and squeal. next pad change we used Bendix no mess no squeal.

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>

·
Registered
5 Posts
I drive an Au XR8 series 1 and whenever i just let go of the break and the car rolls a massive squel like a train just happens and only goes away once i reach about 45/50 kph. A severe pain in the ass, people can here it over the purr of the 2 1/2 inch exuast which is not what i want so i guess where kinda in the same boat, just mines a little more flooded if u no what i mean

·
Rip Up The Track Join OFR
6,021 Posts
Maybe your pads are very worn could be close to metal. Or they are not releasing away from the disc's properly, like sticking a bit.

·
BA XR8 - yeehaaaaaa!!!
72 Posts
My XR8 with premium brakes have squealed from day 1. I have had the car back 3 times so far, but the squeal always comes back within a day. This is really annoying. I want people to look at my car as a beast, not a bus!
The squeal seems to be worse with a light application of the brakes, but as the brakes work so well in stopping the car, this is all that is usually necessary.
It could be something to do with the amount of dust that the front pads make, but this is just a guess. I wont take it back to the dealer for the brakes until a scheduled service as I don't believe there is a fix for the problem as yet.

·
THE PHANTOM
251 Posts
XR8 Std Never a squeal in 25,000kM.

·
BluePrint Bandit
149 Posts
BA XR6 (8800K's)

I now have the brake shudder and a few times while turning slowly the brakes have made a "rough squeal". Also after 2 hard stops (or slowing from 110 to 80 quickly), they are fairly useless.

Im taking it to have them fix it soon.... or at least i hope they do.

Hope that helps with your fact finding :)

cheers,
Matt

·
Registered
378 Posts
The reason why break squeal occurs, is because some break pad manufacturors use tiny bits of metal in the pads, you can see the little bits of metal in the pads, and thats how you know if your breaks are going to squeek, I have the exact problem, it isn't too much of a hassle, and it is often found in the cheaper break pads, these tiny bits of metal assist the break pads durability, instead of the more expensive pads, which don't use bits of metal, but opt for a more carbon hardened pads...gone thankfully are the days of the asbestos break pads.....

In finishing, the squeeling has nothing to do what so ever with the car, or the break calipers, the squeeling can even be considered natural. It isn't going to affect you stopping distances either, so don't be worried about it....just remember, with all break pads, if its wet dont speed, and slow down with plenty of time to spare.

·
V8 ute driver!
984 Posts
BA XR8 ute, premium brakes, 3000 kays no squeel.
Stop on a 20cent piece as well!

·
Two SC 61's = trouble
6,360 Posts
350mm rotors & A.P 4 pot calipers no problem..

The squeel often comes from very slight movement or vibration which happens during braking etc. The contact between caliper piston and pad being steel on steel squicks.A piece of stainless steel plate between the two contact surfaces can correct this problem, as it's done on other brake manu..
There is also some silicone type grease that can be used to stop this also...

1 - 20 of 26 Posts