Ford Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Blue Blood
1,375 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All..

Like most people i've got the stock standard "taxi pack" brakes on my BA and am now looking for a more 'interesting' upgrade. Currently on the slate is as follows:

2 x 330mm grooved + vented + temp paint DBA 4000 fronts
2 x 4 piston AP Racing calipers
set of braided lines
DOT 5.1 Fluid
grooved + solid rears
new pads all round.

What kind of problems do you forsee? ABS issues? EBD (electronic brake force distribution) ? No TC in my car so that shouldn't be an issue :)

·
Love having 3 peddles
647 Posts
Depending how much you want to spend.
see the guys a harrop and pbr to see what they can come up with.
Or if $$$$ arn't a problem a set of 6 piston brembo's, 347mm rotors. The whole thing should set you back about $8000, and you can then go racing no prob's

I am looking at doing the brakes on my ea and I found the guys at harrop and pbr very helpful in assisting with my questions. A set of single piston calipers and small rotors are not going to pull up a 250kw EA in a hurry, so before the engine brakes are a must for me, but at the moment $$$$ are a problem.

·
Registered
548 Posts
If money is no problem go for the Brembo set up, these ar the specs.
Brembo 4 piston caliper's front and rear,
Textar high performance pads front and back,
Cross drilled & slotted pattern, 355 x 32 fronts,
Cross drilled & slotted pattern, 330 x 28 rears,
Stainless braided brake hoses front & rear,
$6,800
From John at Cebco brakes, 49 John street Oakligh Vic 3166 Ph:1300556640 these also come with a Certificate of compliance with ADR31/00. these are better then what they put on the FPV's and GTP's. should have mine done in 2 or 3 weeks.

·
Experimental Racer#6
8,192 Posts
Ian as long as all the parts are compatible tou your car, as in ABS Tone wheels, fitted etc, i cant really see any problems.
Id be going to see Racebrakes, for the AP's as opposed to Brembo's.
Its probably just me, but most people(not those on here) say that Ap brakes are much better than Brembo's.
Keep us informed Ian.

·
Bourbon powered V8
4,751 Posts
If they're going an an NA 6 with no future forced induction plans - AP and/or Brembos would be a waste of money IMO.

Ian, the setup you have outlined seems fairly sensible, the only thing I would say is get the slotted rotors fitted first, and see how they go with the standard callipers - you may just be surprised at the result.

·
Blue Blood
1,375 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
JC said:
If they're going an an NA 6 with no future forced induction plans - AP and/or Brembos would be a waste of money IMO.

Ian, the setup you have outlined seems fairly sensible, the only thing I would say is get the slotted rotors fitted first, and see how they go with the standard callipers - you may just be surprised at the result.
I hate to say it - but this and TIKFD6's are the only real valid responses in this thread. Everyone else recommending I get brembos *blah blah*. No thanks.

shane3 said:
From John at Cebco brakes...
Thats were I got my spec's from. We talked about it, and the AP Racing kit i've outlined will be sufficient. Just after talking with some mates in Ford Engineering they said that ABS should be okay but said *DANGER* watch out for EBD compatibility. My kit comes out to just about $3500. Far less than your $6800.

gunns said:
Depending how much you want to spend.
see the guys a harrop and pbr to see what they can come up with.
Or if $$$$ arn't a problem a set of 6 piston brembo's, 347mm rotors. The whole thing should set you back about $8000, and you can then go racing no prob's
What a useless comment! After speaking with Cebco brakes, Competition Friction and Harrop Engineering they ALL said 6 piston brakes are useless on the road over 4 piston in a Falcon.

I've already spec'd the rotors, the calipers, etc. I was after some techincal feedback in regards to concerns about EBD compatibility.

·
Can't wait for Winton...
2,759 Posts
Ian, firstly no need to be harsh on guys who were only trying to be helpful, even if not directly answering your query.

Now, ABS is only concerned with wheel speed so as long as that is still being measured correctly it should be ok. Perhaps your Ford eng mates can advise what to do re the EBD, it's still fairly new in Falcons so unlikely too many other people know much about it. Would the software for the PBR or Brembo brakes be close enough, or a better place to start from if it needs custom programming?

·
Blue Blood
1,375 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
outback_ute said:
Ian, firstly no need to be harsh on guys who were only trying to be helpful, even if not directly answering your query.

Now, ABS is only concerned with wheel speed so as long as that is still being measured correctly it should be ok. Perhaps your Ford eng mates can advise what to do re the EBD, it's still fairly new in Falcons so unlikely too many other people know much about it. Would the software for the PBR or Brembo be close enough, or a better place to start from if it needs custom programming?
Well thats what they can't tell me (they aren't that good mates, more drunken aquintances) :)

But after reading it, it seems to be that EBD effectively is part of the ABS and just makes sure that its to do with pressure on the pedal versus wheel speed. Therefore it should be a dynamic thing depending on braking. Thus it should be able to maintain braking qualities with after market components.

ABS should be the same - it senses wheel lock via braking and uses a stepper style motor to modulate the hydrolic pressure to the caliper.

From those definations it should be "okay" to do :) *sigh* so much fun :)

·
Blue Blood
1,375 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
outback_ute said:
Oh and your right. Sorry guys - my bad.

I just got sick of aftermarket brake suppliers trying to force Brembos down my throat. I don't want my car to look like an FPV, I want something thats similar in quality and offers a custom look. :)

·
Blue Blood
1,375 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
TIKFD6 said:
Ian to be honest, if the kit suits the factory brake master cylinder i cant see why the EBD would be affected.
Yeah thats my thinking too. Basically all thats going to happen is better clamping force at the front and rear (slotted rears with higher quality pads) with a bias towards the front (well dur! :wnc: )

First quote I got from a dude in Melbourne For $3300 which I thought wasn't bad (about the same price as the Ford "Premium" brakes but better). But now I have pricing from the ACT for $2750 + $22 shipping overnight to Melbourne. These guys are the sole registered trader from www.apracing.com for supply in Australia. So I think I might go with these guys.

$2750 ain't too bad for a complete front kit upgrade. $125 for the rear rotors and $60 in pads :) so $3120 for an all around upgrade sounds good to me :)

·
Crazed Cone Chaser
2,524 Posts
I think he means more biased to the front due to the increase in Disc diameter.

·
Blue Blood
1,375 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
TIKFD6 said:
If it runs off the original master cylinder the bias should not change.
All cars are front brake biased.

What is included in the kit from the ACT Ian.

Everything to bolt on. Calipers, single casted DBA 4000 rotors, braided lines, DOT 5.1 fluid, pads, mounting hardware the works

The difference i've found with the local job is that they are a two piece rotor design, DBA 5000 rotors... Could they be worth an extra $500+ just for the fronts?

Anyone know th benefits of a two piece design over a single casting?

·
Registered
8 Posts
TIKFD6 said:
Yes mate, they are better if you are going to do any track type work with your car.
Thats the type of setup i am getting with mine when i get my twin piston setup later this year.
It is better for heat disapation.
Less unsprung weight too.

·
Registered
8 Posts
ianmcginley said:
Yeah thats my thinking too. Basically all thats going to happen is better clamping force at the front and rear (slotted rears with higher quality pads) with a bias towards the front (well dur! :wnc: )

First quote I got from a dude in Melbourne For $3300 which I thought wasn't bad (about the same price as the Ford "Premium" brakes but better). But now I have pricing from the ACT for $2750 + $22 shipping overnight to Melbourne. These guys are the sole registered trader from www.apracing.com for supply in Australia. So I think I might go with these guys.

$2750 ain't too bad for a complete front kit upgrade. $125 for the rear rotors and $60 in pads :) so $3120 for an all around upgrade sounds good to me :)
Souds good any more info on the kit choice 2,4,6 piston calipers? Part no.s this sounds like a cheap effective upgrade

·
Registered
2,410 Posts
hey shane3 would you be intrested in selling your old brake setup seeing your getting new bigger ones, are these better than standard xr8 ones or the same units.

·
Registered
548 Posts
XRQTOR said:
hey shane3 would you be intrested in selling your old brake setup seeing your getting new bigger ones, are these better than standard xr8 ones or the same units.
The standard FPV brakes are the upgrade brake system for ba xr8.Looking for around $3000 for every thing.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts