Ford Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Love having 3 peddles
647 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to put bigger callipers on my ea. Has anyone done this or knows if something like au twin pots will bolt on?

·
Love having 3 peddles
647 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I wish I had that sort of money to spend. I was more looking at what can be done to get more bite for under $1000.

·
Team Galaxy: Mad Bastard
2,847 Posts
OR spend $6000 on front and rear 4-pot AP Racing brakes with 330X28mm two piece slotted rotors. Stops like a ZIRTEC!!!!!!

·
Bourbon powered V8
4,751 Posts
Gunns said:
I wish I had that sort of money to spend. I was more looking at what can be done to get more bite for under $1000.
DBA slotted or slotted and cross-drilled rotors (the cross drilling is really only for looks) will help big time, along with a set of Bendix Advance or Bendix Ultimate pads.

The slotted discs should be around the $130 or so each (cross drilled are more expensive), the pads around $120 a set. A good DOT3 or DOT4 brake fluid will be around $10 so you may as well flush the brakes while you're at it. It also worth doing your wheel bearings at the same time (front) so factor in around another $50 or so for them, but all up this works out at around $800 or thereabouts. And the increase in braking performance is well worth the effort.

Of course, if you get this done by someone, you will need to add in a couple of hours labour (probably around $180 - $240)

·
2,847 Posts
Just a suggestion mate, not trying to be an a-hole. Gunns can always go for a 4-pot front system and leave the rear as it is or upgrade the rears to a 2-pot system as you mentioned earlier. The reason I say so is if Gunns plans to keep his current vehicle for a while, and continue upgrading it, the 4-pot fronts will be an extremely good investment. But if budget doesn't allow, the 2-pot upgrade system for front and rear will be the only way to go. Try searching around some of the wreckers coz you can pull out the brake system (together with spindles) from an AU 2/3 Falcon.

·
Love having 3 peddles
647 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I am now looking at a 4 pot fronts and 2 in the rear, and spending a few dollars on the system. I don't want to spend money on something that in the end I wont be happy with, and wish I spent the extra money.

Anyone know where I can get my hands on a 17 inch steal rim spear, like the ones off BA's but in a ea stud pattern?

·
2,847 Posts
Look in the marketplace, I'm sure someone will have one for sale.

·
Can't wait for Winton...
2,759 Posts
HOTDBZ said:
Try searching around some of the wreckers coz you can pull out the brake system (together with spindles) from an AU 2/3 Falcon.
Correction here, I've looked at this option & it's not that simple (thanks to Raptor for the info) as the AU2 changed the mounting of the ball joints from the suspension arm to the spindle (or vise versa) so it's not a simple changeover. What would be possible is adaptor brackets to mount the AU2 calipers, similar to what is done by Hoppers Stoppers on their upgrade kits.

·
Bourbon powered V8
4,751 Posts
BAs came out with 16" steel rims, not 17's. Stud pattern is the same as EA, but offset is different.

·
When 2 T3s are not enough
1,934 Posts
I have a set of TE50 T3 Tickford twin piston calapers braided lines & 329 mm rotors for sale, I think you can get the rotors skimmed they dont shudder they have just got a lip on them, if this is any good PM me......

·
Can't wait for Winton...
2,759 Posts
Gunns, don't think you'll find 17" steel rims easily. Even 16" steel on an EA would need to be custom made and probably cost as much as an alloy wheel.

·
Love having 3 peddles
647 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
A new spear will be needed when I do the brakes, cos the good old 14inch will no longer be big enough. I am currently running 17inch el gt rims, it is about $250 for the rim + rubber. I was just looking to cover all bases for when the upgrade does happen.
Does anyone else have any other ideas? and thank for all your replies thus far.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
well also, apart from brakes, i dont know wot suspension mods you have done, as IMO there is no point in having awesome brakes if the rest of your suspension is shit.

i am sure people will have to agree that its a valid point, if you have good shocks and springs then go for it!!!

·
Bourbon powered V8
4,751 Posts
An AU rim will fit on the back of an E-series car, but not the front. Falkeen has 4 AU2 17x8 XR rims for sale, and I think he is/was selling them off at $250 a pop including rubber. Might be worth PM'ing him to see if he still has any.

Only hassle is if you have an AU/BA rim as the spare, and you get a flat front, you will need to remove the back wheel, put the spare on then remove the front and use the back wheel on the front. Though you would have to be unlucky for this to happen.

·
Love having 3 peddles
647 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I have already done the suspension: Monroe GT shocks, King springs, K-mac camber caster kit.

·
2,847 Posts
Ahhhh....Gunns, you're a wise man.

·
Can't wait for Winton...
2,759 Posts
Gunns, if you go to brakes that require a 17" rim, either get any old 17" rim & tyre for the spare, or as JC said have the spare suitable for the rear only (possibly your existing 14" rim, otherwise normal 15" steel) and suffer a bit more inconvenience if and when you get a flat.

BTW, 15" rims will go over AU2 brakes, that's what they used on the AU2 utes.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts